Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Scott Joseph's Orlando Restaurant Guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Scott Joseph's Orlando Restaurant Guide

Our good friend and all-round restaurant savant Scott Joseph has just published his first full guide to the Orlando dining scene (just 22 years in the making, as he says in the Intro!), and it makes for a great casual read if you want to get a fuller insight into the huge dining choice there now is in this area of Central Florida.

At 247 pages and covering more than 250 restaurants, it is a vivid cross-section of the best of what's here and a great way to discover something new (especially away from the main tourist areas). It still includes many tourist staples, even in the theme parks, but Scott isn't afraid to point out the dull and dreary alongside the good and great. In fact, he pulls no punches when it comes to debunking some big-name reputations (for example, about Restaurant Marrakesh in Epcot, he says "More people go here for the belly dancers than the food"; and Rainforest Cafe, "The food is mediocre at best"), but he often does so with a good sprinkling of humour and wit, with a good eye for a fancy phrase, as well as real knowledge of the whole restaurant and food critiquing business.

I especially like his depiction of Tony's Town Square restaurant in the Magic Kingdom: "That scene from the classic animated Disney movie was the inspiration for this full-service restaurant. How much nicer it would be if the inspiration had been good food." Ouch! And how about this, on Hamburger Mary's in downtown Orlando: "I don't think anyone would call her the best cook in town, especially if you wander away from the list of burgers. Suffice to say the place will never be called Meatloaf Mary's."

Scott makes it clear what he considers good and bad choices in the area, and you can easily work out where you should go - and where you should avoid. Some of the entries are a little uneven - just 8 lines on Jack's Place at the Rosen Plaza, but almost a page and a half on Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge - and some entries go for a more detailed look at the menus than others. But there is a HUGE amount of info packed in here and, while it would have been nice to have had a few photos (knowing the publishing world as we do, we know how expensive it is to add pics), it is not an essential omission.

Despite how long we've been working in the area, there are still dozens of restaurants here we know nothing about - and are now keen to try. And it's also an ideal way to perk up your tastebuds by browsing at leisure and discovering something new and different (like Rolando's in Casselberry and the Tap Room at Dubsdread golf course).

Most usefully, after the main section, it also includes a series of handy at-a-glance tables which list the various restaurants by type and style, including those that are good for Dining At The Bar, Cheapo Eats, Special Occasion and Wine. You can also choose by cuisine and even 'Dog Friendly' restaurants! It is not intended to be comprehensive but it is both entertaining and informative, and fully up-to-date.

While we may be biased (Scott is a charming guy to chat with, and totally unassuming, despite the great reputation he holds hereabouts), I would say this is an excellent addition to anyone's reading material for Orlando, especially those who really enjoy their food (and yes, I do mean Deb and Matt in particular! ). At just $14.95

You can find out all about it, and order a copy, on this link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm just going to second this recommendation, without wishing to pile on. When we received the book I promptly put it in the bathroom, since that's the one place we're sure to have a few minutes to read. :o

It's a book you can enjoy in small snippets, and I have to admit, while I didn't always agree with some of the comments, I found that to be half the fun. Everyone's taste in food is different, and I kept looking up our favourite (and not so favourite) restaurants to see what Scott thought of them. More often than not I found myself saying, 'Yeah, that's right. That one's great (or, That one's a real stinker)."

A fun read, a useful resource, and it's kind of cool to read about the places you've been. As Simon said, it turned up a few places we'll be checking out, too.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great review, Simon. I'm a big fan of Scott's acerbic wit and, whenever a new restaurant opens in Orlando, I'm always keen to read his take on it. He's the most critical of critics, so when he rates a place highly, you know it's good.

It seems the publisher ships internationally and with Christmas not too far off, all that's left for me to do is to drop some enormous hints. On second thoughts, have I learnt nothing in 15 years of marriage? Where's that order button?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thought this might be a good book to put away for Ian for Christmas as he is a bit of a foodie. Tried logging in to my Amazon account (it says it is an Amazon company) but it won't let me? Going to re register....trouble is shipping is quite expensive. Can it be bought out there. If so might buy it next year instead!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read loads of Scotts stuff on his web page, and this is a definate purchase. Some of his comments hurt!
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see Scott has set up a book signing a week from today.

"Scott Joseph's Orlando Restaurant Guide" Book Signing
    16 September at 18:00

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And now you can get the (free) Scott Jospeh Orlando iPhone, iPod and iPad app, direct from the iTunes store. See all about it here:

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/ne...-guide-the-app

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Downloading his app!

Deb, did you get Scott's book? If so, what did you think of it?

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Any chance on Android Mr Joseph?

Gaz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd love to see Scott reviewing a Ponderosa.
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Thread Information