Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Expiring passports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Expiring passports

I know Simon or Susan have covered this debate before but I can't find the info.

Will be going in Dec, returning Jan. Two of us have passports that expire in May 2012.

I know many countries have the 6 months after return rule but I seem to remember that US was not a six months.

My ESTA forms are approved till the passports expire in May

But it's the usual case if you ask anyone they just repeat the six month rule.

Having, as many remember a difficult time at Gatwick a few years back due to an over zealous passport checker I just thought I would search out the teams views/ find the old paperwork.

So basically I don't want to be at the airport check in in Dec with someone saying you need six months. However I would rather renew when we return so that we can get the max lifespan out of passport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ret, you can renew your passports early and get the extra months added on, so not losing anything, but for the life of me I cant remember how early

I did mine in march last year, and it wasn't due till september, and my new one was duly dated as expiring in september 2020

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would you believe I can't find anywhere on the relevant US Embassy/ESTA websites that says anything about passport validity re its expiration date. I know we were told by a US immigration officer that, providing the passport is still valid for your return date, they don't worry about it, but equally some airlines do stick the mindless '6 months' party line, which makes absolutely no sense because, if it is still valid, then it is still valid!! If you do need to renew a passport, it might make sense to renew it in plenty of time for an upcoming trip just in case you get some jobsworth who insists that this line of nonsense is 'what they insist on.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes i remember reading that the 6 month thing is sort of dismissed but some airlines insist on there being 6 months on your passport on your return date. Why is beyond me as they may as well make your passport valid for 9 1/2 years instead of 10 as it seems the last 6 months are pointless if airlines insist you cant use it unless you have 6 months left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks all. The add on bit is making it worth just doing it early.

It's the jobbsworth factor that worries me.

The whole validity thing is just bizzarre. Yes its valid for x months but we randomly choose to remove 6 because we made that up. I guess it may be because it covers most countries for length of time that a visa would technically cover you for. The airlines may be worried that if you bring someone for a two week break but they just decide to stay for x months extra, within that allowed by the visa but then overstay they might get blamed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's the link to the relevant info on the US Embassy web site.

However, I understand that some airlines can be difficult about it, as they believe in the 6 month rule.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

We travelled with Viring in December/January and only had 5 months left on my sons passport. They told me it was not a problem and we never had a problem with it all. But I know other airlines are different

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well done, TF; great detective work (I just couldn't track it down myself ). Might be worth printing that page out and taking it along to check-in as it's pretty clear!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We had the same thing with dh passport last time, it had 4 1/2 months left on our return and we had no questions. Im pretty sure you get up to 9months if you renew early (thats what I got when I changed mine when we got married)
    The only other thing to consider is esta im sure you would need a new one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also have this problem going in Oct but my passport runs out in feb 12 got my esta but had this debate sometime ago on here. Alot of people said you do not need to renew. I have decided to renew because we are also going on a cruise which states 6 mths on passport and I would hate to run into unnessary problems

jo

Thread Information