Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Amnesty International says no guarantee visitors won't be shot in US

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Amnesty International says no guarantee visitors won't be shot in US

Another piece from Travel Mole.

Is it me or are AI stating the obvious? And surely there are other places in the world where this is true? Also, shouldn't they be warning about the danger of being stabbed in London and the UK where knife crime is a serious problem right now? Or is this just a shot (pun intended) at Trump?

Amnesty International says no guarantee visitors won't be shot in US

Human rights organisation Amnesty International has taken the unprecedented step of warning travellers to the US of the risk of gun violence following a weekend of mass shootings that left 31 dead.

In a warning issued this week, Amnesty International said: "A guarantee of not being shot is impossible."

In El Paso, Texas, 22 people were shot and just a few hours later nine more people were killed in Dayton, Ohio.

Days earlier three people were shot dead at a food festival.

Amnesty International says gun violence is so rife in the US that it constitutes 'a human rights crisis'.

"The country does not adequately protect people's right to be safe, regardless of who they might be," said Ernest Coverson, campaign manager for Amnesty's End Gun Violence Campaign.

It also says a visitor's race, ethnic background, and gender identity may place them in a higher risk.

After the El Paso shooting, which targeted Latinos, Venezuela and Uruguay posted travel warnings of their own.

Numerous countries have also recently issued travel warnings including New Zealand, Germany, Japan and China.

However, the UK Foreign Office has not issued any specific travel warning. On the issue of gun violence, its travel advisory says: "Violent crime, including gun crime, rarely involves tourists, but you should take care when travelling in unfamiliar areas.

"Avoid walking through less travelled areas alone, especially at night. You can find public advisories and information about recent incidents on the websites of local law enforcement authorities."

While mass shootings are not new, the perceived targeting of ethnic groups is a worry for US tourism.

It has also got Americans on edge.

A motorcycle engine backfired near Times Square in New York City, causing widespread panic.

Fearing the noise was another mass shooting in progress, the rush to flee led to a 'stampede' which injured 22.

Four people were taken to hospital.

Some even stormed inside a Broadway theatre to seek refuge during a production, which then led to panic among theatre-goers.

The production of 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' had to be cancelled.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Horrible things can happen anywhere at anytime. Bit of bandwagon jumping here I think.
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm going out on a limb here and saying I think it's a good thing. Not because you have to worry any more about being killed in the US (and probably much less than you would in some other countries), but because it puts international pressure on the current "administration" and even more so on members of Congress whose states depend on international tourism. Florida's own Marco (never saw a kickback he didn't like) Rubio is one of them, and Senator Rick Scott (best known here as Red Tide Rick for destroying Florida's waterways in return for piles and piles of cash) should be sitting up and taking notice, as Florida would be devastated by the loss of income from our international guests.

The line
    "Avoid walking through less travelled areas alone, especially at night. You can find public advisories and information about recent incidents on the websites of local law enforcement authorities."
    is just common sense anywhere, but mass shootings and most gun violence, doesn't fit this profile. You might get mugged, but it's unlikely you'll get shot just for walking alone at night. Common sense not to, but the gun problem here is something other than this, though there is overlap in that guns are too widely available.

A good take-away from this warning is this:

"The country does not adequately protect people's right to be safe, regardless of who they might be,"
    and hopefully, once they get past tRump's almighty freak-out and subsequent threats to countries that are participating in the warning, our representatives in Congress will think a bit harder about the impact it will have on THEM. That's all that seems to move the GOP.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. This is a largely political move, but one that needs to be made to bring home to the current administration what the rest of the world is thinking about the USA. In real terms, South Africa is a much more dangerous place to visit in per capita terms, while parts of the Middle East would also be extremely dangerous for westerners. But the warning is there for a reason - many countries think the US has way too many guns in public hands, and it worries them. It OUGHT to worry the government, too, but then they'd have to stop taking money from the NRA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has anyone driven a car in London recently? you take your life in your hands much more than the risk of being shot in America. I am a firm believer of when my time is up it's up and nothing will stop me doing what i love. I can honestly say i have never felt the least bit worried when i've been in America even when we were walking amongst the crazies in the wrong part of Atlanta I have driven some of the lonliest roads in America where you might not see another single car for miles. I've driven through some right dodgy areas and only 2 years ago we drove right past the mall next to Walmart in El Paso where all thos people were murdered a few weeks ago. I am careful and i am sensible but i have no fears or worries in America. We sat outside a hotel on a patio in Tombstone a few years ago with a group of Minority hating, Trump loving, Vitenam vet, climate change is made up by liberals, Harley Davidson riding bikers who openly discussed they got their amunition from Bullet.com. These group of about 5 men and 3 women were totally nuts but so friendly to me as a Brit and so interesting to talk to. They were mad as march hairs but it was one of the best evenings we have ever had in the states, they were just so interesting, mad as hell but interesting

We've got the holiday booked up for next summer (with one big change) but the trip the following summer is already well ahead of the planning and i think it might just be a little bigger than the one where we drove West coast to East coast. We're going to be in some remote areas but i have no fears or worries at all. When it comes to booking holidays in America the boundry of our trips is the limit of my immagination and we're well on our way of the dream to do 50 states.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You keep them talking and i’ll Call the ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superspur View Post
    When it comes to booking holidays in America the boundry of our trips is the limit of my immagination and we're well on our way of the dream to do 50 states.
    And the fact is, you can have a great holiday in all 50 There is just SO much variety and choice in the US, it can keep you going on holidays forever!!

PS: If Russia was as open a country as the US, it would also be WAY up there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    And the fact is, you can have a great holiday in all 50 There is just SO much variety and choice in the US, it can keep you going on holidays forever!!

It's no wonder a lot of Americans never leave their own country because America has just about everything you could possibly want. Snow, Sun, stunning beaches, amazing mountais and Valleys, beautiful wildlife, some lovely cities they have everything they want right on their door step. Every state we have been to so far has been so different from the previous one and if i had to pick one single thing from all the amazing sights we have seen and places we have been i think so far, it would be the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superspur View Post
    if i had to pick one single thing from all the amazing sights we have seen and places we have been i think so far, it would be the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone.
    I won't speak for Simon, but I THINK we would both agree with you there! I know I do. What an incredible place. I wish I had a month just for Lamar and Hayden.

I sure did enjoy reading your last trip report, and I hope you'll do one again after your next trip, Superspur!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    I won't speak for Simon, but I THINK we would both agree with you there! I know I do. What an incredible place. I wish I had a month just for Lamar and Hayden.

I sure did enjoy reading your last trip report, and I hope you'll do one again after your next trip, Superspur!
    Of course i will Susan but it's only a small one. We have the family holiday next year which will be mostly in NY but summer 2021, as long as the health is ok, we have planned up LA (Disneyland)-Hawaii-Seattle-Alaska including the Coastal classic railway, back down to Washington State-Portland-Salt lake City-Yellowstone-Billings (for Mount Rushmore)-Bismark-Custer-Denver-Dodge City-Oklahoma-Dallas(in time for a cowboys game)-New York-Home.

As i said, the boundary of our trips is the limit of my imagination.................... and getting time off work of course

Thread Information