Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: Passport expires 1 month after we fly home to UK ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Passport expires 1 month after we fly home to UK ???

Im sure I've read somewhere you have to have 6 months left on your passport when visiting USA ? anyone know ? Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just checked the visa website from the US government (http://travel.state.gov) and it does state that your passport needs to be valid for 6 months beyond your intended stay.

Corinna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It does not need to be valid for 6 months beyond the day of departure from the US

See this link from the US Embassy London website.
    http://london.usembassy.gov/faq-passports.html#niv079
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry to disagree slightly but if you read on in the section and follow the link, the UK is one of the listed countries that are allowed under the,

(unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions)
    rules so you can have six months extra. I have linked the part from the middle below

Passports, regardless of the type, must be valid for six months past the expected stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). This is a requirement for all categories of passports - regular, diplomatic, and official - when the traveler is seeking to enter the United States for business or tourist purposes, for a maximum of 90 days.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/104770.pdf

However, you would be very unwise to try with this as most UK airline staff have no idea of this and tend to panic if pointed out, they may then enforce their own airline rules which can say 6 months. It wpould not be wise to have this argument at the airport 2 hrs before your flight.

I have tested this on 3 occasions at airports (I was travelling somwhere else but went to the queue for US). On BA, Delta and Continental. On each occasion I was met with a 'no you need six months'. I then pointed out the rules. they went and checked, then checked again and after much phoning they said ok I think you are right. But all said not wise to try it as the airline might not want to take the risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi
    I was faced with a similar dilema we are part of the extended six month scheme and as long as your passport is valid on the date of your return journey then your passport technically is valid. However I agree not all airline staff know this rule so could refuse to check you in, so i opted to renew my passport. Any unused time on your old passport is added to your new one. At least then you've got peace of mind for whe you get to the airport your not going to have any problems. Don't forget you will need a new ESTA as you have a new passport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    It does not need to be valid for 6 months beyond the day of departure from the US

See this link from the US Embassy London website.
    http://london.usembassy.gov/faq-passports.html#niv079
    That is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ret400 View Post
    Sorry to disagree slightly but if you read on in the section and follow the link, the UK is one of the listed countries that are allowed under the,

rules so you can have six months extra. I have linked the part from the middle below

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/104770.pdf

However, you would be very unwise to try with this as most UK airline staff have no idea of this and tend to panic if pointed out, they may then enforce their own airline rules which can say 6 months. It wpould not be wise to have this argument at the airport 2 hrs before your flight.

I have tested this on 3 occasions at airports (I was travelling somwhere else but went to the queue for US). On BA, Delta and Continental. On each occasion I was met with a 'no you need six months'. I then pointed out the rules. they went and checked, then checked again and after much phoning they said ok I think you are right. But all said not wise to try it as the airline might not want to take the risk.
    I am surprised that the airlines do have an issue with this. I was not aware of this until I saw the update from Tiggers Friend, but then I do not usually deal with flights to the USA as part of my job. As soon as I got to work this morning, I checked TIMATIC (the IATA visa data base that is used by all airlines) as I was concerned that this was not common knowledge and may not be included. However, for British passport holders it states "Passport needs to be valid for the duration of the intended stay". So there is no excuse for airlines to turn away people.

Corinna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphingirl View Post
    I am surprised that the airlines do have an issue with this. I was not aware of this until I saw the update from Tiggers Friend, but then I do not usually deal with flights to the USA as part of my job. As soon as I got to work this morning, I checked TIMATIC (the IATA visa data base that is used by all airlines) as I was concerned that this was not common knowledge and may not be included. However, for British passport holders it states "Passport needs to be valid for the duration of the intended stay". So there is no excuse for airlines to turn away people.

Corinna
    Good and useful info DG.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Thread Information