Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Does Virgin Atlantic Downtown Disney Check In Still Exist?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmrevis View Post
    dolphingirl, working for an airline as I do you should know it's not usually the airline but the ground handling agents that lose the bags. Mentioning no names Menzies, Swisport and Asig
    We pretty much do our own ground handling and still once in a while luggage goes astray.

Corinna

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Be a doddle, no husband to lose this time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We handle ourselves at our location and LSI and I wish we did everywhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We've used the Downtown checkin for a number of years and find it very convenient. No bags in the car to worry about and a breeze from car rental return at the airport.

My understanding is that the bags are loaded onto a lorry which takes the cases to the airport and straight through to the security checks and from there into the baggage carriers, so I guess there is less chance for loss?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    We've used the Downtown checkin for a number of years and find it very convenient. No bags in the car to worry about and a breeze from car rental return at the airport.

My understanding is that the bags are loaded onto a lorry which takes the cases to the airport and straight through to the security checks and from there into the baggage carriers, so I guess there is less chance for loss?
    If it is meant to happen, it will happen. If I ever have a bag going astray, I rather have it on the way back than on the way to the holiday. Fact is that considering how many people travel every day, the number of lost bags is actually quite small. I will be taking the coach back to the airport, but I won't miss lumbering the suitcase around anyway.

Corinna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love using the Downtown check in. We normally hire our hotel room for one night longer than we actually need. We get out of bed and drive to Downtown Disney and drop the cases off as early as we can then head back to the appt for a shower and breakfast and then having the room for the extra day we can lounge by the pool, have an afternoon sleep if we want then head to the airport in the evening.

The Downtown Disney check in really helps to have a very chilled out last day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Collegue at work over past 3 to 5 years has had 5 upgrades and luggage lost/late about 7 times. We think it might be somthing on the case that's catching the scanners or reflecting etc.
    Always check your bags for any loose tags or this tiny little strips that the system might pick up, reject bag and put it in hopper waiting to be hand sorted too late for your flight etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superspur View Post
    I love using the Downtown check in. We normally hire our hotel room for one night longer than we actually need. We get out of bed and drive to Downtown Disney and drop the cases off as early as we can then head back to the appt for a shower and breakfast and then having the room for the extra day we can lounge by the pool, have an afternoon sleep if we want then head to the airport in the evening.

The Downtown Disney check in really helps to have a very chilled out last day.
    I'm sorry, but I don't get why spending an hour or two out dropping your bags off early in the morning makes for a relaxed day, especially when you have your room for the extra night?

I can see booking the room for the extra night is a great idea. Like you say this gives you somewhere to shower and change before heading off to the airport, but why not just take your bags with you then? If you did that you could put the clothes you changed out of back into a case, rather than into your hand luggage.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spencem View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't get why spending an hour or two out dropping your bags off early in the morning makes for a relaxed day, especially when you have your room for the extra night?

I can see booking the room for the extra night is a great idea. Like you say this gives you somewhere to shower and change before heading off to the airport, but why not just take your bags with you then? If you did that you could put the clothes you changed out of back into a case, rather than into your hand luggage.

Because when you get rid of the cases early it is one less thing to worry about. You avoid the mad scrum of check in and having to leave I-Drive earlier to get to check in in the first place. Once the cases have gone and the boarding passes in your hand it is a simple case of turning up at the airport and walking straight through to departures.

With the car now it usually takes around 1 hour and for us that is worth about 2 hours LESS at the airport and the less time spent at the airport the better.

We also do the twightlight check in here before we go, check the cases in the night before we fly and stay overnight at Gatwick and the next norning that is another hour or two avoiding the scrum at check in and walking straight through to departures.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes we do twilight check in at Gatwick and DTD check in. A shame they don't do similar at Manchester as we had to lug our cases to the hotel last year.

Thread Information