Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Topic: Just when everything had gone so smoothly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Just when everything had gone so smoothly

Along come US Airways/American Airlines to mess things up

We have a flight booked from Phoenix to Tampa on the 30th July at 9am from Phoenix Sky Harbor airport which was due to land in Tampa around 3:57pm which was perfect for us as it gave us the evening down in Clearwater before heading up to Orlando the next day. However, i have checked my e-mails today and their has been a flight change, they have moved the flight to 3pm landing in Tampa just after 10:10pm which is totally no good for us. By the time we collect our luggage, hire the car and then drive to Clearwater Beach we're probably looking at close to 1am.

I think i have a UK based number to call tomorrow but no doubt they will tell me it is a non refundable ticket and refuse to give me a refund even though THEY have changed the flight time by 6 hours. So do i splash out another $350 to get an earlier flight with Southwest that suits us or do i stick with the flight that will get us in at after 10pm? The only other option is probably to take the flight and cancel the 1 night in Clearwater beach and drive straight up to Orlando but that would put about another 1 1/2 hours on top so we probably wouldn't hit Orlando until at least 2 am which i would be gutted about as it was the kind of break between doing everything in the 1st part of the trip and the second bit in Orlando.

Hopefully i will be able to talk to them in the morning on the UK number as i have no idea what number i would call to get through to the US number which is 800-428-4322.

Has anyone come across such a big flight change before and what are my chances of getting any kind of refund?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feel for you SS, can't help really as never had this problem.

Only suggestion I can make is to stay in Tampa (at the airport hotel?) and drive up the next morning. Not ideal I know, but make the transition easier?

Hope you can get a compromise that suits you with the airline.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wrote the above last night when i couldn't get through to anyone to speak to and didn't hold out much hope today as it was a Non refundable ticket and it states on the ticket schedule changes are not part of the contract so a bit of a sleepless night.

I found a UK number to ring US Airways and the woman was incredibly nice and helpful and firstly tried to route me through Charlotte but it meant a 5am flight so we said that would be no good. I politely asked for a refund and she was happy to process it which meant for 10 minutes we had no flight booked from Phoenix to Tampa We found a Southwest airlines one that was around the same price and flies out at 10am and lands in Tampa around 5pm so we should be in Clearwater by 7-8pm which is enough time to visit our normal restaurant and get something to eat and a few drinks to relax. The bonus is there are no baggage charges for the checked bags unlike US Airways so we will actually come out saving a few dollars.

Please, no more last minute changes, the holiday is just over 8 weeks away now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So pleased you got it sorted SS, hope there are no more changes for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent SS, small derailment nicely sorted. Southwest's gain is AA's loss.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many of the rules work around, which country you technical bought ticket in, also at what number of hours does it become a major change (I.e they can't just make your flight 6 days later) and then your are entitled to refund regardless of being non refundable. Plus if you used credit card in UK you may always have this route as the contract is with credit card company.
    Glad it's fixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am glad that you managed to get this sorted out. As a rule of thumb, if the alternatives offered are not acceptable to the customer, an airline has to provide a full refund in case of a significant schedule change irrespective of the conditions of the ticket.

Corinna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphingirl View Post
    I am glad that you managed to get this sorted out. As a rule of thumb, if the alternatives offered are not acceptable to the customer, an airline has to provide a full refund in case of a significant schedule change irrespective of the conditions of the ticket.

Corinna

I knew in the UK they did but wasn't sure about the USA. especially when it said in their terms that flight schedule changes are not part of the contract. Still, everything seems to have turned out fine, just a worry i could have done without last night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glad you got it sorted the next few weeks will fly by

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ELAINE View Post
    Glad you got it sorted the next few weeks will fly by

They sure will, i'm off to Norwich for the week for a golfing trip tomorrow morning with 7 friends. Love Norfolk, it is such a beautiful part of the country.

Thread Information