Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: Manchester Airport Expansion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Manchester Airport Expansion

They have just announced a major 10 year expansion project for Manchester Airport. Here are the highlights:

Essentially there will be one super size terminal consisting of what is now terminal 2, which will double in size and terminal 3, which will be upgraded.

Terminal 1 will be phased out by 2022 and subsequently demolished.

Terminal 2 is due to be completed by 2023.

Pre-clearance will be offered to people traveling to the USA in the same way that it is currently offered in Dublin.

Passengers will have automatic bag drop and peak time security waiting time will be reduced from 15 minutes to 10 minutes.

The work is supposed to start in April.

The full article can be found here: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....curity-9370929

I have some mixed feelings about this. It is great that Manchester airport continues to thrive and I love the idea of clearing US immigration before getting on the plane. I also like the idea of routes to the West Coast of America. However, I am treading the disruption that this project will cause. I also have to admit that I am rather fond of terminal 1 and at the moment I think this is the best of the bunch.

Corinna

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I do like the idea of pre clearance but it looks like that won't be for a number of years. When I first read the web article I thought it might be ready by next year!

I think the airport expansion sounds great, assuming that it happens anything like as quickly as they say it will. Thanks for the details Dolphingirl. There's more information here than I managed to pick up in the construction press yesterday and I think it's a really good thing for the area and probably long overdue - if the disruption is managed well.

I will admit to feeling a little nostalgic when they showed the old clips on the news of the big chandeliers in Terminal 1. They could still be there for all I know and I'm just too preoccupied to notice them anymore, but as a child it's one of my fondest memories of my first trip on a plane.

I too think it would be great to have more options for the West Coast. At the moment it's Vegas or flying via Heathrow, although I did read somewhere (I think on here) that from next year there maybe a couple more options from Manchester. And the pre clearance thing sounds great. Knowing that when I land in the States I've likely got a long wait at immigration is the only thing I don't like about going there...but let's face it, in the grand scheme of things it's a minor inconvenience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
    I do like the idea of pre clearance but it looks like that won't be for a number of years. When I first read the web article I thought it might be ready by next year!
    At the moment it would not be practical as we have flights to the USA departing from all three terminals. So I don't foresee this happening until we essentially only have one terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by MiradorVic View Post
    I think the airport expansion sounds great, assuming that it happens anything like as quickly as they say it will. Thanks for the details Dolphingirl. There's more information here than I managed to pick up in the construction press yesterday and I think it's a really good thing for the area and probably long overdue - if the disruption is managed well.

I will admit to feeling a little nostalgic when they showed the old clips on the news of the big chandeliers in Terminal 1. They could still be there for all I know and I'm just too preoccupied to notice them anymore, but as a child it's one of my fondest memories of my first trip on a plane.

I too think it would be great to have more options for the West Coast. At the moment it's Vegas or flying via Heathrow, although I did read somewhere (I think on here) that from next year there maybe a couple more options from Manchester. And the pre clearance thing sounds great. Knowing that when I land in the States I've likely got a long wait at immigration is the only thing I don't like about going there...but let's face it, in the grand scheme of things it's a minor inconvenience.
    I have every confidence in MAG. When they mean business, they get stuff done. It is amazing how much they achieved at Stansted since they took this over.

I have never noticed the chandeliers in Terminal 1 either, but then again, I don't tend to look up. When I fly from Terminal 1 next time, I will make sure that I look.

I would welcome more West Coast options. I have a number of good friends near Los Angeles and would love direct flights. I know that Thomas Cook will start to fly Manchester Los Angeles twice a week from next may, but the day they fly may not work with my schedule.

Corinna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm fairly certain the chandeliers are no longer there, the ones that looked like melting plastic, as they were removed to a chorus of protest a few years ago when T1 was refurbed.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Chandeliers have gone, they were removed with the first redevelopment, however they still exist having been refurbished, 1 is at the St Helens museum of glass and another is in the reception area of the museum of science and industry, I forget where the others went.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DH of Dolphingirl View Post
    The Chandeliers have gone, they were removed with the first redevelopment, however they still exist having been refurbished, 1 is at the St Helens museum of glass and another is in the reception area of the museum of science and industry, I forget where the others went.
    Another reason to make the time to visit the museum of glass.

Corinna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really pleased to see this level of investment, albeit I feel for those who will have to suffer years of disruption (a bit like here at Downtown Disney!). It should make for a great airport in years to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    Really pleased to see this level of investment, albeit I feel for those who will have to suffer years of disruption (a bit like here at Downtown Disney!). It should make for a great airport in years to come.
    That is my fear. For me it would affect me in three ways. First of all when we are traveling we will be caught up in any disruption, but that is the least of my worries. Manchester airport is part of my daily commute as my office is right across the road from it. Although working for an airline this is likely to increase complaints.

Corinna

Thread Information