Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: 2017

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 2017

As some of you know, I'm never happier than when I am researching/booking holidays and as 2016's were decided on and booked quite early...........
    Well Christmas/New Year 2014 for February this year, and last May for this September, my thoughts were turning to 2017's holidays.

Holiday number one dropped nicely into place when I hosted the latest dinner gathering of the Gulet Gang.
    Talk turned to how 2018 would be the tenth anniversary of us all meeting on that fateful Gulet cruise, that really was a chapter of events as 5 of us were never mean't to be on that cruise, but fate threw us together and we just all clicked.
    The intervening years have seen us share week long holidays, weekends away, milestone birthdays, and three weddings.
    Mr SK after listening to us excitedly chatter away, said "why wait till 2018, what is wrong with 2017"
    Excitement reached fever pitch when it became obvious that this could be a goer
    Umit, the captain of the original cruise [who has since married one of us] made a couple of phone calls to another captain in Turkey, who gave him some prices for the dates we had in mind, and whilst the prices were good, we wanted the Gulet exclusively for our use, and if this was possible, we can tailor the cruise to our needs.
    We bid each other a fond farewell, with promises to all be in touch with definite answers in a weeks time.
    It was a long week, but everyone was in agreement and all opted for the same date, so Umit made the contract with the captain, whose christian name is, and please no sniggers!! Ufuk [ok sniggers over, it means horizon in Turkish] and monies have changed hands, so we are booked for next May/June.

For those who aren't familiar with what a Gulet is, it is a little seaworthy wooden sailing boat like the Asim where we all met.

This is the Gulet we will be sailing on and we will be a party of 7

http://www.seymakaptan.com/gallery.php

Fast forward to just before Easter, when one of my drivers appeared in my office to ask if it was ok for him to book a cruise next February.
    This driver also happens to be a good friend along with his wife, so I enquired to what cruise he was thing of.
    He proceeded to show me the cruise and said it was going to be a surprise, so please not to mention it to his wife and being a kindly soul, he left me the duplicate brochure
    I duly took this brochure home and studied it from cover to cover, as I had my eye on a Disney Cruise through the Panama Canal, when I realised that the cruise on the back cover was a 15 night cruise, starting on the 15th December 2017, returning on the 30th.
    The brochure was left strategically laying around for Mr SK to peruse at his leisure on his breaks from decorating. Aren't I a kind wife

Little discussions ensued over Easter, and some questions were asked from friends who had cruised if the price was good, was the itinerary ok etc [thank you friends ] and on Easter Monday a credit card appeared with the message "you can book that if you like"
    Well a good wife always does as she is told and I needed no second bidding!!
    A quick phone call later and we had pre registered for the cruise, under the proviso that If we didn't get the premium flights on offer, that would be a deal breaker, as they couldn't confirm if the flight would be with Thomas Cook or Thomson at this stage. They hire the whole plane apparently.

Today was the day of booking and at 8.15 this morning the phone rang to say that everything was booked as we wanted. A balcony stateroom on C deck [they are the biggest balconies on the ship] premium flights, onboard credit, and bizarrely a case of fine wine to be delivered to our home and freedom dining, as there was a choice 1st sitting, 2nd sitting or freedom.

Now, if you aren't all totally bored, the cruise is with P & O on Azura sailing out of Bridgetown Barbados, calling at, Martinique, Antigua, St Kitts, St Maarten, Turks and Caicos, Tortola, St Vincent, Grenada and St Lucia with Christmas Day at sea, where we will be allocated a dining time.

I am expecting to miss my family like hell, but have issued an invitation to have a late Christmas Day over New Year, but I'm also very excited about it all.
    So we are going to go, from a tiny sailing boat, with a passenger list of 7 to a brute of a ship that holds three thousand!!!

This big ship sailing means I'm totally out of my comfort zone, but I have 21 months to research, pick brains of those that have cruised and ask lots of silly questions

So please feel free to chime in, if you know anything about the ship, ship etiquette, the Islands will be visiting or just tips regarding cruising

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never been on a cruise, but just want to ask if I can join you?

It sounds wonderful.,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course you can. Shall I send you the details

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wow, both trips sound wonderful, I remember you doing the Gulet cruise, was it really that long ago...

Never been on a cruise myself but I know there are some people on the forum who have done quite a few (step forward Dolphingirl)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whoop . So glad it's all come together .... It's a great itinerary (I'm .... As the kids would say ..... Well jell !!!) , I had assumed the wine was for when u were onboard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow! Sounds very nice indeed. Would love to do a cruise, it's on my bucket list. Love the sea.
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All sounds great SK, but cruising just doesn't appeal to Mrs TF and I.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Holy Heck what a fantastic year to look forward to!

I remember your reports about the Gulet and thinking it was something I would dearly love to do. It just sounds absolutely ideal.

Big ship cruising is fun in a much different way, and while I think I've done a fair bit of it, Simon's a real expert. We're happy to chip in with any thoughts as your questions come up. We've done most of those ports together and Simon's done some of the others as well, with a couple we haven't been to. Happy to help, and it sounds fantastic!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ELAINE View Post
    Whoop . So glad it's all come together .... It's a great itinerary (I'm .... As the kids would say ..... Well jell !!!) , I had assumed the wine was for when u were onboard
    I had also assumed we would get the wine onboard in our stateroom, but no, they assure me that it will be delivered to our home address, but only time will tell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you all for your kind comments and as I have said, any thoughts on anything will be of great help

Thread Information