Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: International driving permit

Exclamation International driving permit

Hi
    Do we still need to get IDP's? I've just found the ones we got back in 2013 as I've lifted the cases out. Forgot all about getting them this time. We go in 18 days and I'm worried even if I go down to the post office this morning they won't come back in time. I know when we got them 3 years ago there was debate whether they were necessary and we caertainly weren't asked to show them when we collected our car. Our car hire this year is booked through Alamo via us car hire.

Hope someone can clarify as I'm starting to panic.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you have a British licence you do not need a International Driving Licence and indeed never have required one in the USA.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TF is absolutely correct. The law, which had legal challenges, was revoked by Governor Scott in 2013. I was about to copy lots of links but here is one simple one.
    http://blogs.angloinfo.com/angloinfo...t-law-revoked/

Or if you read the last Tip on the Visit Florida site

http://www.visitflorida.com/en-uk/ar...n-florida.html

Relax, I have been many times since and we have had no one on here who has had an issue, nor I think been asked?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The law was poorly worded and has since been changed. You never needed an IDP. I know a lot of people wanted to blow it up into a big deal but the truth was, you didn't need one then and you don't need one now. All it does is convert a driving license into English. Yours is already in English. So you're good to go!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Thanks everyone ��

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So defo dont need a IDP... uk license holder...travelling in october..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrino View Post
    So defo dont need a IDP... uk license holder...travelling in october..
    Nope, you are good with just your UK one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Definitely don't need it. Nope. No. Not at all.

You're good.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the UK old style paper licence and have used it with no problems every year I've been to the USA.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a link to the actual law: http://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/b.../2013/html/445

The sole reason for the IDP is to translate non-English driving license information into English. If it's already in English, it can't be translated into English. Any English-speaking police officer can read it without the IDP's translation.

So you can confirm you don't need it by looking at your drivers license and discovering whether or not the language printed on it is English. If it is, you're good.

Thread Information