Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New From Give Kids The World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New From Give Kids The World

The wonderful Give Kids the World Village opened its new Banyan Park area today, with some truly eye-catching new accommodations (2 and 3-bed suites) for families that have children with life-threatening illnesses.

Here's our FB photo tour of the occasion: https://www.facebook.com/19797934027...type=3&theater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really nice

karalma is offline Proud Recipient of Six--count 'em, six!!--Fast Passes During Year of a Million Dreams!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A wonderful charity and so great to see them developing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fantastic new facilities at GKTW, a very worthwhile charity that an acquaintance of ours benefited from a number of years ago.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We sincerely wish no one ever had reason to stay there and that the buildings could be allowed to crumble to dust. But...until that time, it's a place of great joy and a charity we are truly delighted to support.

There was a little girl at the ribbon cutting today--a guest at the Village--who was dressed as Ariel and wearing a huge smile as she went around the lobby giving people high-fives. But the high-fives are really for her, and for all the kids who stay at the village and are going through treatment or have just finished treatment and are celebrating. It's an incredible place to be.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A wonderful place to stay for those deserving children and their families.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I would like to add a few comments following our stay there last year.

We were honoured with the chance to stay at GKTW last summer(2016) for a week as a surprise for my son (who had gone into remission from cancer) from the UK charity Starlight.

I would like to start by saying that I sincerely hope that no one ever has the opportunity to stay there as it's only for families and their children that have/are suffering from life limiting/reducing conditions.

However, if you are lucky enough to get chosen then sit down, buckle up and enjoy the best week you will ever experience in your life.

We were apprehensive as (selfishly) we expected to be surrounded by some really sad experiences of people trying to force themselves to enjoy a week away with their sick children, for some perhaps their last?

But we could not have been further away from the truth! Not once did we see anything other than happy gleeful excited children enjoying themselves like never before. For sure, some were of limited movement or even capability to fully understand exactly what was going on, but hand on heart not once did I see an unhappy or sad child.

This is all down to the fantastic child (and "adult" child) environment around you and esoecially to the tireless hard work from the volunteers, they make everyone feel so super special.

There is pretty much everything that you can think of at GKTW, it really does give kids the world! From pony rides to ice cream, 24hr pizzas room delivered to buffet meals three times a day, swimming pools to fishing lakes, a cinema to a fully equipped games room, visiting Disney characters to an event every evening, fancy Halloween and Christmas all in one week? Well that's here too! I could go on and on and on and I probably would if these dreaded tears had not returned.

The highlight for all the children and their families is the ability to go to all the parks and hop straight onto the rides, yes you read that right. NO QUEUING! It's an amazing gesture that all the parks operate for "wish" families, we managed to do some high wait time rides two or three times! Nicest thing was seeing other wish families out in the parks being totally spoiled by the staff, their faces were a picture and create memories that my family and myself will never forget.

So in a nutshell if you hear of a family you know being granted a stay at GKTW don't step back and start to feel,sorry for them, give them a hug and start to feel slightly jealous that you (hopefully) will never be able to experience such a wonderful wonderful place, it is after all only available to really special people

If anyone would like any questions answered regarding GKTW please don't hesitate to ask or even DM me, I am always happy to asnswer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So pleased to hear of your wonderful experience, got tears in my eyes reading your post...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm tearing up reading your comments, happychappy1. Just beautiful.

Our first time at the Village, we went in with the same concern you had; was it going to be sad? Were we going to come away from it crying for how awful the situation is when you have a child with a life-threatening illness? But we came away from it with the same feelings you had (though yours are far more vivid, and far more valid, having experience it as a family!). It's actually quite a joyful place. While we (and by "we" I mean, "I") cried a fair bit, it was all happy tears.

I'm just beyond thrilled for you that your family had such a good stay there. I can't speak for all the locals, of course, but I think many/most/all of us love to see "Wish Kids" getting all the perks the parks can provide, including cutting in front of hours-long queues. I think Simon would agree with me in saying it's a joy to know we have this wonderful place in our back yard that gives Wish Kids and their families such happiness. And we're delighted your son is in remission. May he have a happy, healthy, long life!

I'm certain Give Kids the World would be over the moon to read your comments. Have you emailed them? We have a very good contact there who I am certain would pass it on to her team if you're okay with them knowing what you've shared here. No pressure at all. Just offering!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great report to read, happychappy1. Wonderful insight & genuine empathy for a place we are always SO impressed with. We are very proud to support them in the Brit Guide and, knowing the many people there, they would definitely be thrilled to read this, too.

Thread Information