Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Different surnames

Default Different surnames

I will be travelling to florida with my 8 year old daughter, even though she is in my care permenantly, we do have different surnames. Do I need to bring her birth certificate to prove im her mother? I want to make sure I have everything before we jet off.

Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi tasha_hopkins, and Welcome to the ATD forums!

There are a few people here with experience in this (I'm one of them; the others will surely be along soon!), and you'll probably get a few different answers. I was in the same situation when my son was a bit younger, and I always carried a copy of his birth certificate and a letter from his father stating he was aware our son would be travelling overseas (I had that ordered by the court so there was never an issue of him NOT giving me the letter). If you are in a position to carry both of those things your bases should be covered.

Having said that, I was only asked for them once. But if he were still under 18, those are the documents I would still carry.

Exciting that you have a trip planned! We hope you'll ask all of your questions, and please feel free to share your excitement! Once you're here, you're family.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the group. Is this your first trip?
    Like Susan says, you will rarely be asked for it but the official advice is to have something in writing giving permission from the father (if possible) along with all relevant birth certificates etc. Even better to have the letter notorised. We were never asked on our trip a few years ago when I travelled with my ex girlfriend and her child of a different name but the peace of mind which come from having an official letter will be worth it, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't off any advice beyond what the others have said, but just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the boards.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Thank you all for your advice I will certainly take her birth certificate, and will get a letter from her dad.

I have been to Florida in my younger days but it will be the first time for my daughter and im so excited to show her everything! I've taken her to Disneyland Paris but its just not the same compared to Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't have first hand experience, but the daughter of some friends recently travelled to Italy with her friend and family. On their return to the UK they were challenged at Immigration as obviously there were different surnames on the passports. Fortunately our friends had supplies a letter of permission, but even so the daughter was asked a raft of questions. So it does happen and it is better to be prepared.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just adding my own 'Welcome!' to the group, Tasha. Hope you have a great trip

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hiya and welcome to our very friendly forum. I don't have any experience of your question myself but hopefully others have helped.
    It will be wonderful showing your daughter Florida, she is a great age to appreciate it too. Our son was 7 when we first went and although it is over 23 years ago the memories of seeing his face in Magic Kingdom will stay with me forever.
    Care to share your plans? There is a wealth of experience on here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi and welcome to the forum not an expert in this field but a friend of mine was advised to take birth certificate and a letter from the father I maybe wrong but I'm sure she said it was different rules for a father taking a child with different surname
    orlando aug 2000 2005 2007 2009 2013 2015 2016 2017
    Honolulu 2017
    Maui march 2008 2016
    New York 2010 2016
    Kefalonia 2010 - 2017
    Crete 2011
    Thassos 2015
    New Orleans/ Memphis 2016
    Paris March 2012
    Tenerife March 2013
    Parga 2014 2016
    Tenerife 2013
    Antigua St Lucia Grenada Barbados 2017
    Santorini 2018
    Venice 2014

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No help with this question but wanted to add my welcome to the forum. It's a great place to chat if everyone that you know has had enough Florida talk

Thread Information