Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Shopping - prices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Sharp View Post
    Thanks, yes obviously the dollar rate is a worry it was just people on the Dibb were saying they have seen groceries double the price from a year or so ago.
    I don't think they were referring to the exchange rate merely that it was more expensive.

Not too concerned about prices in shopping malls, as we have never been one's to take empty cases in the hope of filling them with bargains - I think some of the posters on that forum were more inclined to be thinking along those lines.
    Simply put the prices in Winn Dixie, Publix and Goodings (have been in all ) have not noticeably increased at all.
    Been in all of them this week and the last twenty years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret400 View Post
    Simply put the prices in Winn Dixie, Publix and Goodings (have been in all ) have not noticeably increased at all.
    Been in all of them this week and the last twenty years.
    That's fine - would trust people on here more than one's I do not know. You are out there now, Simon & Susan live out there = good enough for me!
    "No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!" - Deb Ireland 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Certainly in October we didn't notice any marked increase in restaurants or shops. The price of the steak I usually eat in the Outback was the same as in May and I'm fairly sure that was as September last year.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For anyone out here now Fossil outlet stores are offering 40% discount on top of their current sale items, we picked up 3 leather bags this week all at less than half price.

The Coach outlets are very good too, picked up 2 more from there!
    They also have some unique Disney bags that are very good quality and could be good collectors items.

Very impressed with both the Premium outlets as well as Disney Springs, bought yet another bag from the Tommy Bahama store there!
    Coca Cola store is very cool and has a great open plan rooftop seating area. Parked in lime garage on both visits. Stocked up on candy at a great store at International Drive outlets called itsugar.

Bought a Bulova watch half price from the I drive outlet store Tourneau, great service and they gave us drinks whilst we waited for the bracelet to be adjusted.

Extremely impressed with courtesy of all store staff, very friendly and helpful. Only annoyance is the stall sellers in between the general stores, responses vary from ignoring to no thanks to go away!

Joshua's patience levels have improved so much it's enabled us to browse malls rather than just rush around everywhere, and we have dined out whilst there also which we have never been able to do before.
    Has to be in the morning though as getting him out of the villa later in the day as always is not straight forward, he gets up so early he just likes to stay and play indoors or in the pool as the day goes on.

Finding supermarkets quite expensive , not exchange rate related, the price of some types of bread is ridiculous for example, have mostly used Walmart, Publix is definitely a little dearer.

One thing we have found useful is bringing 6 of the Robinsons small concentrated Squash'd drinks you can buy in the supermarkets in the U.K. don't take up much room, last for ages and great to carry around the parks, especially if you have children.
    Useful for Joshua who doesnt like fizzy drinks, you can buy larger bottles of Robinsons cordial drinks from Walmart but costs over $4 a bottle.
    They don't do good cordial out here as we have seen on our many visits, most seem to be Cranberry based for some reason.

Some things we have enjoyed are frozen Orelda tater tots, delicious, inspired by our breakfast at Garden Grill last week, Jimmy Dean original pork sausage patties are also really nice.
    Tropicana Grovestand orange juice is nice and as I do like my coke the glass bottles packs of 6 you can get in Walmart are very good value for money, can also recommend their market side brioche buns from their deli area and hormel normal natrural choice bacon, the zephyrhills easy pour large spring water bottles are also cheap at around $1 each.
    Lays crisps are very expensive these days around $4.99 for the largest party sized bag, but watch out for special offers on these.
    There is a decent brand I have never seen before called Great Value and the prices on these, including crisps, are much cheaper.

Sun cream generally well priced, though haven't seen our preferred Australian Gold brand in Walmart finding Banana Boat products not too expensive, there is also a brand called no ad which seem to be good quality and decent prices that cover all the usual sun factor protection ranges.

Would recommend bringing your own black bin liners and swing bin liners especially if staying in a villa to reduce costs a little, travel sized toiletries also are useful.
    I had a separate budget pot of money for my supermarket trips as I preferred to pay cash, and if like us you have lots of coins left over the self service checkouts at Walmart allow you to use coins for payment so have found that useful also.
    Last edited by Johnny Sharp; 20-05-2017 at 08:58 AM.
    "No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!" - Deb Ireland 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only annoyance is the stall sellers in between the general stores, responses vary from ignoring to no thanks to go away!
    I know everyone has to make a living, but I consider these stalls the telemarketers of the outlet world. Just. Don't Bug Me.

They don't do good cordial out here as we have seen on our many visits, most seem to be Cranberry based for some reason.
    I'm not sure we actually do cordial at all. I'd never heard of it until I met Simon, and I'm still not sure I know exactly what it's supposed to be. We do sell Rose's Lime and Grenadine, but that's as close as you'll get. If someone's giving you cordial, they're making it up as they go along.

There is a decent brand I have never seen before called Great Value and the prices on these, including crisps, are much cheaper.
    Great Value is Wal-Mart's in-house generic brand.

Good tips. Glad you're enjoying your time here!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We've not found general shopping prices to be higher than last time we visited. For some reason bread and breakfast cereal always seem to be higher than in the UK, but then other stuff can be cheaper. Bottled water is a snip, Zephyrhills 24 bottle packs are $3.99 or $4.99 depending on the supermarket and the day (16c or 20c) a bottle!

Also we don't think that restaurant prices have increased either, although the exchange rate has clearly affected the real cost to us.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We always find it strange that bread and cereal is dearer in the US seeing as it is grown a lot more there. We can get a box of Asda crunchy nut cornflakes for around 95p, never seen anything that cheap.

Thread Information