Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Topic: Disney Cruises Summer 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Disney Cruises Summer 2018

Disney has just unveiled its full summer itinerary list for 2018, and there are some tempting voyages and new destinations, including Ireland for the first time. See all the details here: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/f...LS2018IAEM0003

The big ATD question: Which one(s) will DolphinGirl pick?!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She has found a new love and it aint Disney but there are certainly some interesting itineraries here if the price isn't stupid (which it probably will be)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep2-Night British Isles Cruise from Dover 1 Cruise Starting from
    Total Price Including Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses
    Rate Details
    Map of your 12-Night British Isles Cruise from Dover.
    July 9, 2017
    Disney Magic
    Departs Dover, England
    Ports of Call
    Inside
    Oceanview
    Verandah
    Concierge
    Unavailable  This stateroom category is unavailable because it is sold out, it is not eligible for the special offer that you selected, your party size is too large or you requested more staterooms than are available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Graham is right. For me, this has run its course. The issue is that at the moment they seem to combine slight variations on the same old itineraries with insane price points. This is not a business model I care to support. At the moment I would put Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess and even Cunard and NCL in front of DCL of cruise lines I would consider. I think at this stage only two things would entice me back: silly cheap agent rates or a Far East itinerary taking in their three resorts in that region. For that I would be willing to pay a premium. The last time I felt like this is when they announced the inaugural Hawaii itineraries for 2012.

Now I know that I am just a tiny insignificant fleck of dust for DCL, but I am getting the message loud and clear amongst my extended circle of friends that DCL have overstepped the mark. More and more people are straying towards other cruise lines. When I came back from our first Royal Caribbean cruise in 2015 and loved it, people kind of treated me as if I have grown horns. Now those same people have tried other cruise lines and actually found that they prefer them. Royal Caribbean and Carnival seem to be the main beneficiaries there.

As soon as the itineraries were released, one of my friends started a group chat to gage what people are looking to book if anything. Now, all 10 of us are die-hard Disney fans and most of us have Platinum status on DCL. Only one is planning to book something and then only because she has a placeholder booking made onboard that she has to move or lose. She is very open about it being doubtful that she will go on the cruise she intends to book today. Another friend messaged me overnight and she had one look at the itineraries and then booked another Carnival cruise. They have recently come back from a cruise on the Carnival Vista and loved it.

In practical terms, something good has come out of this. We never really discussed the possibility of a British Isles cruise, but this turns out to be something we are both quite keen on. So this will go on the to do list. I think that may be the perfect opportunity to give Princess a try.

Corinna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DCL is an excellent product, especially for the family market who have the $$$ to afford it. That said, our preference if we were taking an actual vacation on a cruise ship would lean in other directions (Crystal, Uniworld, UnCruise, I'm looking at you...!). There's a vast cruising world out there, and many, many superb ships. I can't quite imagine limiting oneself to just one cruise line.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very interesting comments, DG. It really does seem like Disney are pricing themselves out of their own market, which is highly foolish in the long term.

And is that the real price - 5881.28 for a 12-day round-Britain cruise??!! You could get a 12-day cruise with Crystal (CRYSTAL!! All-inclusive!!) for less than that!! See here: http://www.cruiseline.co.uk/cruise/view/160394

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    DCL is an excellent product, especially for the family market who have the $$$ to afford it. That said, our preference if we were taking an actual vacation on a cruise ship would lean in other directions (Crystal, Uniworld, UnCruise, I'm looking at you...!). There's a vast cruising world out there, and many, many superb ships. I can't quite imagine limiting oneself to just one cruise line.
    I am a bit of a creature of habit. If I get good service and the price and itineraries are right, I tend to loyal.

I don't think I am quite ready for the luxury market, although I am seriously considering Azamara and a river cruise is also on my to do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    Very interesting comments, DG. It really does seem like Disney are pricing themselves out of their own market, which is highly foolish in the long term.

And is that the real price - 5881.28 for a 12-day round-Britain cruise??!! You could get a 12-day cruise with Crystal (CRYSTAL!! All-inclusive!!) for less than that!! See here: http://www.cruiseline.co.uk/cruise/view/160394
    Yes, this is real and opening pricing. Goodness only knows what the prices will be like when it goes on general sale tomorrow. I had a nose around yesterday and I can get a very similar cruise for around 1000 per person on Princess. The advantage of that is that as I have done a lot of their training, I will get some really nice onboard perks.

I just shook my head when I looked at the link. This is actually a fair price for what it is and Disney cannot start to compare to what is on offer there.

Corinna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem with river cruises, for me, is that I only want to DO river cruises now. I just love them.

The first few years I cruised I didn't think I'd want to do the smaller luxury ships. Not sure why, but they just didn't appeal to me. Too stuffy, maybe? But then having done them I struggle to go back to the larger ships, and now prefer smaller ships (the smaller the better, in some ways). Again, I couldn't really say why. I think it's because by the end of the trip we know everyone, and that, for me, is a huge part of cruising. It really isn't essential to a great trip, but for me, it makes the trip.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    The problem with river cruises, for me, is that I only want to DO river cruises now. I just love them.

The first few years I cruised I didn't think I'd want to do the smaller luxury ships. Not sure why, but they just didn't appeal to me. Too stuffy, maybe? But then having done them I struggle to go back to the larger ships, and now prefer smaller ships (the smaller the better, in some ways). Again, I couldn't really say why. I think it's because by the end of the trip we know everyone, and that, for me, is a huge part of cruising. It really isn't essential to a great trip, but for me, it makes the trip.
    I learned today that booking river cruises is quite involved.

For me the easily accessible itineraries are less tempting as I have seen a lot of the destinations involved already. However, I really want to do it once for the experience and if we like it, I would not rule out doing a river cruise on the Mekong, Ganges or Yangtze River.

It is not the size of the ship that worries me about the luxury cruises, but definitely the luxury element. I used to get full-flown panic attacks in the likes of Harrods or the Grand Floridian. I have fortunately grown out of this, but I still feel very uncomfortable when I am flying business class. Even in some of the better hotels I stayed at in Dubai, I was in full fight or flight mode. I nearly fainted when the butler turned up in one of them. Fortunately he realised how uncomfortable I was and made a quick exit after leaving me with a card with contact details if we needed any assistance. Hopefully I will grow out of this as well.

Corinna

Thread Information