Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: Excess Insurance

Default Excess Insurance

I need to pick some brains again please, if I may?

This time regarding car rental excess insurance on top of full CDW.

Not something we've taken or even thought of on previous trips, but after reading some scary accounts online of folks being charged hefty fees for damage to the windscreen, tyres or underside of the vehicle, we're considering it this time.

It looks as though we could get a policy for around 50.

Experiences or thoughts guys?

Cheers,
    Scooter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it really is just GBP50, I think it would be worth adding for complete peace of mind. You'd have to be pretty unlucky not to be covered by the CDW, but it does happen occasionally that there can be incidental damage not caused by a third party, and the excess insurance would ensure you're covered for just about every eventuality.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I can't remember us ever taking this before but I can see it would be peace of mind. Will have to look at our car hire next time we go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As with Catlady, not something I have bothered with in the past.

When my BiL punctured a tyre in 2015, which is supposedly not covered, unless you have the Roadside Assist he was charged when he took the car to ALamp for a new wheel (actually got a new car).
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I recently bought excess insurance to cover me for a whole range of car hires I am taking this year. In the US it's not that important as you have no excess as standard on crashes, theft, scratches etc. In U.K. And many parts of World they sell you CDW as part of the deal but the excess can be 200 to well over 1K in many cases.
    So I went on good old Martin Lewis and bought a policy that covered the gaps. End cost was 39 for a whole year with insurane4carhire.com. Plus I got 10.90 cash back end cost 29. I looked at a lot of different companies but went with this one on price and Defacto / Feefo ratings etc. I think some policies may let you upgrade for tyres etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've also used insurance4carhire.com for covering vans in the UK. Enterprise have a standard excess of 1,000 for a large van and will try to sting you for the whole lot for even the most minor of damage.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Thread Information