Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Help and tips on various topics please

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBell's Sis View Post
    Hi and welcome to our ATD family enfield21.

I see that Susan has given you good answers to your questions, so all I can add is to get yourself THE best guidebook on all things Orlando - The Brits Guide to Orlando, (or as I call it, my Bible), written by our very own Simon & Susan Veness and for a different way of doing/viewing the Disney parks, get yourself The Hidden Magic. Lots of secrets and tips in there.
    Bought it a few weeks back - has been very useful

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    Hi enfield21 and welcome to the forum, you will find loads of useful knowledge here and people are happy to share their experiences, so keep asking your questions. You didn't say what size your party was or whether you are staying on or off site (Disney that is).

I would also agree with TBS's recommendation about the Brits Guide, loads of useful info on the theme parks, surrounding area and farther afield.

As Susan says, as you are flying in and out of Tampa I would do the beach at the end, less driving up and down the interstate and much easier to get to the airport on the last day. Just be aware that the traffic around Tampa can be awful during the commuter hours.

We tend to do the beach at the start of our holiday, but these days we don't do the parks much. My advice though is to pace yourselves, take rests, drink lots of water and enjoy the surroundings in the parks. It isn't a competition to see how many rides you can do, Disney and Universal have much more to offer. And you will be back! We came on the "holiday of a lifetime" and we are now at 21 visits.

Clearwater and St Petes are both nice, enjoyable places and a both worth a visit. You could consider a hotel halfway between them at somewhere like Indian Rocks?
    Hi Tiggers friend,
    Thank you, and everyone for the lovely welcome. I bought the book a few weeks back and it has been really useful. I've not been to Florida for 14 years - first time was 83, then 92 and most recently 2002 - and the amount you can do seems to increase massively year on year. Too much to fit into two weeks I felt which is why we're pushing the boat out and going for 3 weeks - it's the first time we'll be taking the kids on a trip like this (although we did go to DL Paris a few years back) and I want it to be as stress free as possible - they'll be 14, 12 & 10 by the time we travel which I think are good ages to go and get the most out of it. They'll be five of us and we're looking at getting a house/ villa with a pool for the first third of the holiday and then most likely a hotel for the few days in Clearwater/ St Petes.
    I'm intrigued to know what other people's thoughts are re Seaworld. I've visited in the past and thought it was amazing (and really enjoyed the coasters) but these days I have very strong feelings about the captivity side of things.
    Thanks for all the tips.

Hi everyone,
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome and clear/ detailed replies.
    A few of you suggest going for the 21 day Disney ticket (I was thinking of going for the Universal/ Disney Combo ticket at 559). Are my maths right - 21 day Disney plus 14 day Universal is 666 compared to the 14 day Universal/ Disney Combo which is 559?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really pleased to hear the Brit Guide has been useful to you. That makes our day!

I'll chime in regarding SeaWorld, but you'll get lots of different and equally valid opinions. It's a tough call on some counts, but while we understand people's reluctance to have whales in captivity, for us, the fact is, they're there, and while they're there, their presence there serves an incredibly important purpose (how's that for fitting in every version of "there" in one sentence? ).

SeaWorld does a MASSIVE amount of conservation, not only in Florida, but around the world. They are an extremely important part of the scientific community of marine biology, and when marine animals are rescued and then deemed unfit for release by our US governmental body that regulates those things, SeaWorld is one of the premier locations these animals can be sent to for care for the rest of their lives. When animals are rescued and DO stand a chance of being released (which, by the way, is ALWAYS SeaWorld's goal, if there is any chance of it happening), SeaWorld takes them in and (at great expense) provides rehabilitation until they can be released. THAT is what your admission price buys. And we think that's invaluable.

We understand the dilemma for some. But we also feel education on what your day at SeaWorld is supporting--the rescue and rehabilitation of animals that would otherwise die, and the chance for marine biologists to better understand marine animals in a setting they cannot get in open water, which helps them work toward saving them in the wild--is important. We know the company well. We know the trainers well. So, for us, we think supporting SeaWorld and enjoying an incredible day that not only entertains, but also educates, is a very good thing.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The other lot have given better answers that I could, so I can only welcome you to the forum!
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by enfield21 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome and clear/ detailed replies.
    A few of you suggest going for the 21 day Disney ticket (I was thinking of going for the Universal/ Disney Combo ticket at 559). Are my maths right - 21 day Disney plus 14 day Universal is 666 compared to the 14 day Universal/ Disney Combo which is 559?
    Yes I think you are right, we may be slightly off on our calculations at the moment, often the combo can have little difference but in this case you are right. Would also suggest looking at price Matching? As you may get your choice a little lower???

Such useful info - thanks so much everyone. There's 5 of us going - two adults and our three kids (14, 12 & 10). Hopefully the perfect ages to have an amazing time. We were thinking of getting a hotel for the few days at the beach but with there being 5 of us it's always difficult finding suitable accommodation - hotels seem to only cater for a maximum of 4 before you need to look at separate rooms. Any suggestions for hotel like accommodation with a pool on the beach which would cater for 5 at a good price in St Petes, Clearwater or in between. I guess the alternative would be a self catering apartment type affair on the beach. Help much appreciated.

Thread Information