Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Topic: Monorail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Superspur beat me to it. MK is the one park it's worth taking the bus to, since it avoids the boat or the monorail.

Walt specifically stated he wanted the transition area between your car and the park, so that's why you have the boat and the ferry. For that reason, I don't think the parking situation will change. But the bus is a big help.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good suggestion , it's just not always practical with a disabled son and a wheelchair. Routine and all that.
    It may work for some, but for us I can't see it.

It was tough enough pushing the wheelchair up the slope to the monorail track. Time and crowds have just caught up with the transportation system.
    @Catlady pretty much sums it up.

Our best way around it in the future is to plan on getting there even earlier.

I think the Monorail is great and I am sure for many years it's been a brilliant innovative way of commuting Disney's many guests - it's just a bit crap when it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Johnny Sharp; 14-06-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    "No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!" - Deb Ireland 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The bus stations have increased dramatically, as has parking, over the years. Kneeling buses make wheelchair loading easier.

I can certainly understand how routine plays into it, but in that case, what sort of transportation change would work? Do you mean they should add more monorails?

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    The bus stations have increased dramatically, as has parking, over the years. Kneeling buses make wheelchair loading easier.

I can certainly understand how routine plays into it, but in that case, what sort of transportation change would work? Do you mean they should add more monorails?
    I mean a Monorail system that is reliable, if Disney are charging their guests over $100 each per day ticket, they should have in place an effective transportation system.

I am not against the Monorail and think it's the best option, but not just based on my few days of hassle it's clear the breakdowns are too frequent and disrupting their guests plans.
    I actually like travelling around WDW using it, but from googling around a bit they seem to have regular problems. It was probably ahead of it's time for many years.
    Last edited by Johnny Sharp; 14-06-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    "No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!" - Deb Ireland 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it is the general level of the crowds - consistently above 50,000 per day, and sometimes close to 70,000 - that are the problem here, and the MK is increasingly a victim of its own success (as is WDW in general terms, with many of the roads now reduced to a crawl at peak periods). The MK has gone from an annual attendance of 15 million in 2004 to a whopping 20.4million in 2015. I think it's safe to say, the ferry/monorail system was never designed to cope with those kinds of numbers, hence the expansion of the bus station (and, unfortunately, increased breakdowns on the monorail). It's hard to know what Disney can do at the moment, as there is no space to build a car park nearer to the MK and the monorail is a 50-year-old system. I'm sure Disney are looking at ways to move people around more efficiently (hence the rumours of things like the new gondola system) but, by and large, it still does a very good job for the majority, and the fact that the MK can accommodate 20-plus million a year is pretty remarkable. We have always advocated arriving early, or avoiding the peak arrival periods from 10-11am, and that's probably increasingly the answer if you want to be sure of getting in to the parks with the minimum of a wait. There is also a series of new road construction projects throughout WDW right now, including a completely new entrance road system for the Studios park (ahead of the Star Wars land development), which should help to ease traffic flow, while the addition of bus lanes in a few places should also help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's fair comment and when you consider those numbers overall the bigger picture is a lot clearer.
    Nor is the fact just the 3 of us had some hiccups on a few days I guess in the grand scheme of things that much of a big deal.
    Especially when you consider those numbers.

I agree completely about getting there early, I think on our MK days we were attempting to get on the monorail around 08:15, on 2 of those we were still struggling to leave the TTC an hour later.
    It doesn't help that whilst the romance of the Ferry across the lake is a fab way to get there, it also can be a slow one if you are waiting for a boat, although they do carry a lot of people.

I think with the monorail we were probably just unlucky, however if the trend is for more visitors as the years progress something clearly has to change.
    Ironically it wasn't our train that broke down on both occasions it was the one in front.
    It was also obvious from the reaction of the cast members (if Disney's monorail staff are called that!), were pretty fed up with the regularity of the problems themselves....well at least the one's I asked were!
    Last edited by Johnny Sharp; 14-06-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was going to make the point Simon did with regard the age of the monorail. I guess it depends on what the failures are and if they are consistent (ie the same fault each time or something different everytime) whether it is easy to resolve or not. I do question some things Disney do, but I would imagine that affecting guests in this way is not something they are probably comfortable with. Even with modern Disney it does not meet their idea of 'magic'.

TBH we seldom use the monorail, nearly always using the ferry. This was something we got in the habit of when travelling with our lad in his wheelchair as it was a much easier transition and provided more space. The other thing is that they can easily switch in additional boats when there are lots of guests, on the one day this year that we went to MK there were three boats in operation so the wait time was fairly short.

As Susan says that transport transition is part of the experience and having also been to Disneyland where there is no such transition (I know the monorail connects the Disney hotels to the parks) between reality and magic.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Probably part of my frustration with the monorail is just wanting when we arrived on holiday everything to go smoothly.
    Most of our MK mornings were a struggle getting to the park, as much as Joshua was brilliant on the holiday he does for the most part like to be kept moving when he is in his wheelchair. So just having to hang around for what seemed like ages when we all just wanted to get to the park was just that, frustrating.
    Being stuck on a train for 20 minutes not moving just was part of that, he fell asleep..we have enjoyed many little monorail journeys it's just not great when it goes wrong....and that seems to be quite frequent.

To be honest I have to admit I don't fully get the bus suggestion as the TTC has a transportation system that should be efficient.
    I agree with TF about the ferry, problem we had pretty much everyone was told to head over there and the queue was massive with no boat in sight and an impatient son who to be honest didn't really understand what was going on.

Anyway at least I have got it off my chest!
    Last edited by Johnny Sharp; 14-06-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    Superspur beat me to it. MK is the one park it's worth taking the bus to, since it avoids the boat or the monorail.

Walt specifically stated he wanted the transition area between your car and the park, so that's why you have the boat and the ferry. For that reason, I don't think the parking situation will change. But the bus is a big help.
    Oh well if Walt said it that means they will soon change that!

Do they still have the premium park to park bus service or has that joined the MK Cabana in the sky!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They still have the paid-for bus service.

As regards the buses to MK, for those who can or will use them, they're a good option for avoiding the TTC. If you're coming from a Disney resort they often make more sense than driving, parking, and having to deal with the TTC when you could just be dropped off to the right of the park entrance.

Thread Information