Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Lynx No 50

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As DH says, f you are that close to Disney, cabs are not as expensive as they would be over here (only use mears though). We had a great holiday in 2011 without a car. I must admit it was better in 2014 when we had it.

I was terrified, and unknown to wifey I had taken an extra chunk of cash for taxis in case I just completely chickened out. I'm not the best driver, and over here have only ever driven on a motorway 3 times in 30 years of driving. Took about 10 minutes to work out all the buttons, then I just did a few laps of the side road, then ventured forward. Amazed on how easily I took to it. Took my time, concentrated and within a day was on the freeway, which I used every day without a problem. There is so much room over there, it just feels right. Completely understand how you feel hough, and whatever you do, it will be an awesome time.
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The number 50, late in the evning it isn't that busy, we have even taken the last bus out of Disney around midnight and it hasn't been even half full, very few people on it.

The busiest time we found Lynx busses when we used them was between around 07:15-08:15 but it empties out around Lake Buena Vista as most of the people on there were hotel workers. It was never really that busy at all after Lake Buena Vista but we haven't used it for about 3 years now as we drive everywhere.

As for not driving, i was like you up until 4 years ago. We'd been to Florida about 12 times but i had never driven as i was just not coinfident enough but people on here convinced me how easy it was and i HAD to try it. I did and was really shocked how easy it was, i actually enjoyed driving in the States so the year after i drove from San Francisco to Phoenix including in Las Vegas. This year it gets bigger and better as we are driving 4500 miles from San Francisco to Orlando.

Once you have driven once you will be amazed how easy it is.
    Last edited by Superspur; 21-05-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't help with the public transport question but thought I'd say Welcome to the Forum.

In my opinion Driving in Orlando is easier than driving in busy cities in the U.K. (Though my husband does it not me) they are very forgiving of errors though, I assume because it's a tourist area nobody seemed particularly surprised to meet us heading the wrong way (we pulled onto the wrong side of the road ) and sat there making eye brows raised, "typical tourist" type faces whilst we turned round.
    If you don't fancy driving from the airport after the long flight I believe some firms will deliver a car to your hotel the next morning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I appreciate that many people don't want to drive for a whole raft of reasons. Since our first trip back in 1991 I have always driven in Florida and elsewhere. It is easier than the UK IMO, but over the last few years there a some bits of road which have become a challenge, but if you staying in LBV you are unlikely to come across them. As SS says go for it.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just to say high and agree that it's a bit nerve racking at first thought but as others say it's actually very very easy. Because so much is in a grid, you go wrong way, just carry on and take next turn and you are back where you started. You will get a chance, without going far to see much more without the pressure.
    But it's your decision and your holiday so do what stresses you less. I would probably recommend the taxis as alternate rather than but etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I appreciate all comments about ease of driving, but I will still not be getting a car. Our hotel in LBV is easily located for eating outlets, we have a free shuttle bus to parks (if required) and I hear parking is expensive at theme parks. Just trying to keep costs and stress levels low

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are right about parking fees, it's now $20 at Disney parks (and I think the same at Universal). Just a massive rip off IMHO. Getting to the point where the parking fee is a good reason NOT to go to the parks!
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes the parking fee is high (for those that don't have annual passes like us ) but it just gives you so much more freedom. You get to the parks when you want not when the once a day free shuttle wants to get you there after it's 50 plus stops at the pick ups or when the once every 30minutes Lynx bus gets you there.

You also get to come out of the parks when you want and can even go back (with no additional parking charge) when you want. You also get to stay as late as you want without the worry of having to catch the last 50 bus at 00:05 or the worry of how much a late night cab might cost. Cost wise it is probably more cost effective to get cabs and buses than hiring a car and paying parking fees but the freedom the car gives you for me far outweighs the cost.

I feel liberated

Thread Information