Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Topic: Driving licence question

Default Driving licence question

My daughter is getting married in a few weeks time and we're taking her new family to Florida.

There will be eight of us in total. When I booked; the twelve seater vans were on recall so I booked the eight seater. I'm pretty certain that we won't get all of us (Two child sets required as well) plus luggage in. It seems the twelve seaters are not available at all so now I'm thinking about the fifteen seater.

What confuses things is that my future son in law passed his test in 1998. His licence says he's limited to cars of up to eight seats. However, other advice suggests he could drive a vehicle up to sixteen seats!

Has anyone worked through this particular maze before?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I could be wrong, but I think you may have to contact the hire company directly to confirm what sort of driving license you'll need. US citizens can hire a 15 seater with their normal driving license (though anything over that needs a chauffeur license, I think), so it's entirely possible he will be able to, too, but I honestly don't know.

Hopefully someone else here will have had experience with this. I think I'd verify it with the company before booking though, just to be certain.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not heard of that restriction to be honest. The only person I know who hired a 15 seater was hubby's cousin. I know he was driving a bus at the time so maybe he used his PSV licence. If no one else knows the answer by next week we are seeing them so I'll ask him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't really help I'm sorry. I had a quick look on the Alamo site to see if that helped, but it is not really clear.

I'd drop them an email, they are usually pretty good in replying.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about e-mailing them (Doh!).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Let us know what they say. There is a possibility that cousin might return next year with extended family and they might need a 15 seater. He is now retired from the buses so guess his PSV licence wont be valid now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hired a 15 seater in 2013 and had no problem.

Here's the reply;

When renting a 15 passenger van from Alamo, any driver's of the vehicle must be at least 25 years of age.

There is no minimum length of time that a customer must have held their driver's license in order to rent from Alamo.

Customers traveling to the United States and Canada from another country must present the following:

•Their home country driver’s license, and;
    •If the home country license is in a language other than English (or French, for rentals in Canada) and the letters are English (i.e. German, Spanish, etc.) an International Driver’s Permit is recommended, but not required, for translation purposes in addition to the home country license.
    •If the home country license is in a language other than English and the letters are not English (i.e.alphabet is not an extended Latin-based alphabet like German or Spanish but is Russian, Japanese, Arabic, etc.) an International Driver’s Permit is required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You seem good to go then!
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Looks like it.

Thread Information