Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Topic: Avis and extra charges...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Avis and extra charges...

Well flying in 9 weeks or so into fort lauderdale with BA and i have been hearing of late some bad stories of people even signed up with prefferred(as i am)receiving extra charges on cc when home between 130-160...when these charges been questioned apparenty its extra insurance and charges ticked upon receipt of car...well i have been told to follow prefferred and go straight to garage for car which i wont do..
    Do i go to prefferred counter and when receive paper work and or keys make sure nothing is ticked or selected...Why o why cant hire companies just say no extra to pay thats it...BA said upon booking,no extra to pay...

Really dont need a bill like that to contend with eh after your holidays...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry can't help as I've never used Avis (always use Alamo), but not a situation you really want to contend with.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can only be liable for charges you have agreed to, either with the original BA booking or anything you may want to add when you arrive (child seats, GPS, auto-tolls, etc). It's always a good idea to take the option to return the tank empty (or as near empty as possible!) if you can, but otherwise, you should be in charge of anything else, it's just a matter of keeping your wits about you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the replies,wits about me im all over that dont worry,i have seen a fuel receipt when bought back empty where the charge is 9.90 a gallon,that isnt representative of pricing as Avis states,friends of mine fb message no reply,twitter message no reply,email message reply said be in contact 10 days,wtf' are Avis doing 10 days really?? They are not contactable apparently altho i have a free phone number to call them on and can get in touch in the uk....i always take back full always....no brainer if they charging that..i have emailed BA and checked my booking it says im all included no exceptions..oh the joys of car hire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have done BA/Avis a few times, both into MCO and Tampa and have never had any extra charges on our cc, touch wood.
    Don't know about FL, but if you don't go straight to the garage [they have a counter there for preferred members] you might find you have to join the main queue as there might not be a preferred line there.
    You still get paperwork from the garage, and as Simon said, we normally opt to pay for the tank of fuel, but decline the sunpass, which we put in a glove box, or ensure that it is turned off.
    On signing the paperwork, I check nothing apart from the fuel has any figures next to it, and will either score through, or write nil against anything that has been left blank.
    Once the paperwork is complete [they don't take the second drivers details] they will hand you your keys and tell you what bay your car is parked in.

A few minutes checking, should mean you don't receive any extra charges and I'm sorry, but people who say they are too tired to check properly, too harassed, are falling asleep etc, shouldn't be allowed to pick their car up, especially if it is their first time driving, as if you can't be bothered to check properly, you aren't safe to drive in a strange car, strange country, and unfamiliar roads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All wise words yes i will be adding the zero's if its blank thank you,i think the complaint is after taking car back and they scan and give you a ticket it has charges on for LDW and ALI AND PEP...the agent said just ignore its for BA to pay but then your cc' gets charged 3 weeks later...thats wrong. All them options were according to be included upon initial booking,i checked mine and they are included apart from the PEP... no idea what that is...your right though being tired is a weak excuse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remember if it's a charge that should not be on you can immediately call your cc company and put it into dispute as the actual deal is between you and the cc company.

What you might be caught out with at airport is the attempt to upsell you. (Goes like, how many sir, two of you, oh , you have only booked a five seater, perhaps you would like to consider a 42 seat bus with extra leg room) or would you like personal accident, extra cover for breakdown, shamu and lama cover etc etc.
    Simply put you have everything you need.
    You know it's starting to happen when they bring out the flappy book with pictures of cars on it. At that point you must remember two words 'no thanks'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok i know someone who after returning home has been charged for ' personal accident insurance and personal effects protection.'
    Added to a cc charge...this is flaming wrong and the renter-gonna be me in 8 weeks- didnt sign up for this BA says inclusions everything....
    They are trying to scank money of the renter as when they home 3 weeks later bill comes in...some people i guess dont care,me i do...its fraud!
    Ba calling me tomorrow this is wrong and i never had this from budget,alamo before...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrino View Post
    All wise words yes i will be adding the zero's if its blank thank you,i think the complaint is after taking car back and they scan and give you a ticket it has charges on for LDW and ALI AND PEP...the agent said just ignore its for BA to pay but then your cc' gets charged 3 weeks later...thats wrong. All them options were according to be included upon initial booking,i checked mine and they are included apart from the PEP... no idea what that is...your right though being tired is a weak excuse..
    When I have given the car back, I always make certain that the piece of paper/ticket says zero. If it didn't I'd be calling them back and sorting it out, but as I said, I've done 4 rentals through Avis/BA and have never had a problem

Thread Information