Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Topic: International Palms Resort

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default International Palms Resort

Located on International drive has closed and is undergoing a major refurb including a branding change. We stayed here the very first year we came to Orlando when it was the Holiday Inn but then it changed to the International Palms and is a budget type hotel used by many Brits. A lot of Virgin Holidays guests stayed here as well as Thomson and other Brit tour companies. If you just wanted somewhere to sleep it was fine and had quite a lot of conferance space as well there.

Apparently it will reopen towards the begining of 2018 as the Avanti Palms resort. Guests wanting to book there as the International Palms are being directed to their sister property the Avanti resort http://www.avantiresort.com/default-en.html which actually looks a lovely hotel but is a further down IDrive

http://www.internationalpalmsorlando.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We'll be eager to see it once it finally opens. Avanti is doing a good job with budget accommodation, so we have high hopes.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There has been quite a bit of change along this stretch of I-Drive, not all of it for the better. This should definitely help to freshen things up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes we saw Wet n' Wild is just a flat piece of land now, the Palms being re-done, my Edwin Watts outlet store shutting down while we were there

There apears to be another hotel about to open next door to the Palms i think it is called "M" or something like that (i'll check my photos), it used to be something else but has been reborn by the look of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you thinking of Monumental Movieland? This is another oft-renamed property that has maintained a grip on the budget hotel market for the last 20 years or so!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It might be that Simon, it was all shut when we were over and they were moving loads of new stuff in. Looked like it had just had a big re-fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That might well be something completely different, then. The Monumental Movieland has been up and running for a few years now, and I know several other hotels in that area have been closed awaiting renovations, so this might be one of them. We might have to take a drive along that way sometime soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Simon, this is the place i am talking about if you can make head or tail of it. I think it was called movieland or something but seems to have changed again. It wasn't open when we were over but looked to be very very close.

http://www.guestreservations.com/the...iendly/booking

Last edited by Superspur; 08-10-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think this (the "M Hotel") used to be the old Howard Johnson, or HoJo Inn, which was struggling in its former incarnation (to say the least). Recent reviews for it are largely pretty horrible, though, so it sounds like the re-branding has not gone well (coupled with some hurricane damage). In all honesty, the hotels in this location are still basically the same as they were in the 1970s, and they could do with a complete rebuild (as I think the International Palms is doing). The Monumental Movieland Hotel is still there, three hotels further up I-Drive.

Thread Information