Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Topic: Universal's New I-Drive Hotels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Universal's New I-Drive Hotels

Just picked this up from the Orlando Business Journal today (from our good pal and senior staff writer Richard Bilbao) about Universal's redevelopment of the former Wet 'n Wild site:

Universal Orlando Resort plans for two new hotels on International Drive are hitting another stage of construction.

The theme park giant has filed a permit with the city of Orlando for site work that will begin to build the infrastructure for the future hotel. Universal aims to build 4,000 hotel rooms at the former Wet 'n Wild land on the southeast and southwest corners of I-Drive and Universal Boulevard.

The new permit, which was pulled on Oct. 9, covers engineering work at the hotel site including "site development for grading and deep utility installation." Those passing the construction site can see that all of the former Wet 'n Wild's slides have been removed and there are mounds of dirt on the site as crews make way for underground utilities and foundation work to begin.

Universal has yet to share any information on the project, but updated plans filed in May show the hotels will be branded/themed and "will feature resort-style landscaping, resort amenities including retail and food and beverage outlets, resort-style pools and other resort features in keeping with the brands for each respective property."

The hotels' split may be 1,200 rooms on the west side of Universal Boulevard with the remaining 2,800 rooms on the east side, according to past plans.

Universal Orlando has been growing its hotel portfolio rapidly during the past decade, and the latest opening coming up is the 600-room Aventura Hotel. It is on site at Universal Orlando and will welcome its first guests in 2018.

Hotels are major revenue generators for theme parks, as the ancillary services such as room service, restaurant visits, spas and more are all boons for the bottom line. In addition, hotels keep guests on theme park property and can encourage repeat visits to the attractions.

You can also see the photos on this link: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...-hotel.html#g1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting development that could put pressure on other hotels in that area.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just hope they think carefully about the onsite perks and don't have so many people with Express Passes that they cease to be 'Express' at all.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When i get around to the Orlando part of the trip report i'll mention it but a couple of photos of the old Wet n Wild site

Thread Information