Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Topic: Colorado Fondue Company

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Colorado Fondue Company

This was a completely new name to us until just recently (we have to thank the host of the new soccer radio show, that we have been invited on for the last few weeks), and we tested it out last night, to our immense enjoyment. Here's the full low-down:

OK, here as promised is a quick look at our first trip to Colorado Fondue Company. And there will certainly be people yelling "What kept you?!" because the CFC has been there for 25 years. Yes, seriously. That's officially A Long Time by Orlando standards, where some restaurants do well to survive into a second year, and many have gone stale after five. The fact that many of readers will not have heard of it, and virtually no tourists find it, is because it is officially Off The Beaten Track, and the owners like it that way. They devote a huge amount of time and energy to this location, and they;re not in a hurry to make it a franchise (as much as we'd love them to bring it to Winter Garden!).

'This location' is actually in Casselberry, a northern suburb of Orlando that is about as far away from the glitz and glitter of the theme parks as it's possible to be while still being in Orlando. There's nothing fancy or remarkable about Casselberry, and there's nothing remarkable about the CFC's location, in a standard strip-mall, dominated by Baer's Furniture and next door to the boutique Bowigen's Brewery, just off Semoran Boulevard. It's hard to find - and easy to miss - if you're heading north on Semoran, as you need to turn off (on Sausalito Boulevard) before you actually see it (or turn right on Red Bug Lake Road, and then first right into the strip-mall if you miss Sausalito). Coming south on Semoran, you pass under the Red Bug Lake Rd flyover then take the first left, which is Sausalito.

Once you find it, there is nothing fancy or remarkable about the exterior either, apart from the carved sign showing the Colorado Fondue Company. But inside, it's a whole 'nother story, and you could easily be convinced you have walked straight into a theme park restaurant, especially at this time of year, when it is lavishly fitted out for Halloween (next week, it becomes 60 Days of Christmas, and we're told it will be even more spectacular inside). The whole interior decor is dedicated to the outdoorsy, rustic Colorado style, and the Halloween elements really add to the atmosphere, hence first impressions are really good. The service is equally good, and we were soon set up for our meal and given the low-down by our server, Steve (and it does need a bit of explaining, as you need to choose from the different array of set-meal options, as well as understand how their pot-and-hot-stone set-up works).

That is all part of the fun and charm, though, and there is an impressive away of wines, craft beers and cocktails to add to the occasion. And then there's the food. We opted to miss out the Cheese Fondue course (on the 'Intermediate' combo), starting with a salad and then going on to the Main Course before finishing with the Chocolate Fondue. And the tastes? Wowser. This is not gourmet cooking by any means, but the selection of veggies and pasta in the broth in the main fondue, accompanied by beef, pork, chicken, potatoes. cheese pirogies and shrimp for the hot stone, were all excellent, and they cooked really easily on the hot stone. With a delicious array of sauces (red pepper, honey mustard, teriyaki and a garlic-herb cheese mix that was absolutely dreamy with the mushrooms, as well as the steak), it was a true, in-depth taste sensation, with oodles of flavor and plenty of food. In fact, we struggled to finish the chocolate fondue afterwards as there was simply so much to try.

In terms of value for money, we each had a cocktail and a glass of wine or beer, and the bill came to just $70 for the two of us, which we thought was outstanding value for the whole experience (and it is an experience - just visiting the restroom, you get to breathe in the aroma of all the other fondue dishes being cooked at the individual tables!). It's easy to see why this restaurant has such a loyal local following in this part of the world, and the only shame is that it isn't in other parts of Orlando as well to save us the long drive up to Casselberry!

PS: More pics on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/19797934027...type=3&theater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was going to ask how long it took Susan to choose her glass of wine, but decided against it as I didn't want a smack!

Looks an interesting place, thanks for the post.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/California/Arizona/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Indian Ridge;08Sanibel/Indian Ridge;09Sarasota/Indian Ridge;10Sanibel/Indian Ridge;11Indian Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor; 16Loma Linda; 17Sanibel/Loma Vista

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sounds pretty good and certainly a reasonable price.
    We are familiar with hot stone cooking as there is a restaurant locally that does this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    I was going to ask how long it took Susan to choose her glass of wine, but decided against it as I didn't want a smack!
    SMACK!!!

Just because I felt like it.

Actually, you'd have been proud of me. I knew I wanted a prosecco before Simon had even chosen his beer.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    SMACK!!!

Just because I felt like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    Actually, you'd have been proud of me. I knew I wanted a prosecco before Simon had even chosen his beer.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/California/Arizona/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Indian Ridge;08Sanibel/Indian Ridge;09Sarasota/Indian Ridge;10Sanibel/Indian Ridge;11Indian Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor; 16Loma Linda; 17Sanibel/Loma Vista

Thread Information