Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Topic: Finally Saw It!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Finally Saw It!

OK, so I was championing the new Blade Runner film for most of the year and, when it came out in October, we were in the middle of a huge backlog of work and it largely passed me by. But, thankfully, our local AMC cinema was still showing it on one screen in the evening and I got to see it last night. SO glad I did, and that I saw it on the big screen. While it is certainly a different film to the original, it definitely mines the same thought-provoking material and is one of the most elegant films I've seen in a long time. I felt the director occasionally over-played his clever, backwards-thinking depiction of the story (some very smart nods to the first film, but just a bit too clever-clever at times), and the Vangelis-style soundtrack (by Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch) was just a touch too obtrusive in a couple of places, this was a great piece of cinema, IMHO, and one I will definitely look forward to seeing again.

I'm not sure what the critics made of it (will have to look up some of the reviews now!), but I would definitely give it the thumbs-up, and director Director Dennis Villeneuve (who also did the excellent Arrival last year) has come up with a thoroughly worthwhile piece of work to walk in the footsteps of the classic original.

*Gets off soapbox*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We were going to see it too but somehow didn't get a chance (not sure why now) but hope to watch it on DVD or downloaded when it is released. Alan reckons we should watch the original first again. We did see Arrival and I enjoyed that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is definitely worth seeing the original again if you're not completely familiar with it, as it is certainly a solid sequel, with much of the plot being based on the first film. It is also a very different film to the first, and, if you enjoyed Arrival and it's really thoughtful and slow-paced style, you should also enjoy BR2049. I would definitely look around, though, to see if anyone still has it on the big screen (and with a big sound system!), as it is most definitely a big-screen film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never got the chance to see it at the cinema but will get a copy downloaded before it comes available on DVD.
    Ryan Gosling is such a good actor, he was great in 'Drive' and also suited to comedy roles such as 'The Nice Guys' - both recommended if you haven't seen them.
    "No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!" - Deb Ireland 2007

Thread Information