Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orlando's New Signature Dish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Orlando's New Signature Dish

In conjunction with the Orange County Mayor's office, Visit Orlando has been running a competition in the last couple of months to come up with a proper signature dish for Orlando/Orange County. And today the winner was unveiled, from the list of the top 10 finalists.

And it is (*TA-DA!*) - Honey Nougat Glace, from Mon Petit Cheri Cafe in Winter Park. Sadly, we didn't get to taste it today, but here's what it looks like:

You can read more about it, and see some more pics of the occasion, on our FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...97979340271177

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know I'm not a gourmet, but why is this a representative of Orlando/Orange County. Passes me by I'm afraid.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/California/Arizona/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Indian Ridge;08Sanibel/Indian Ridge;09Sarasota/Indian Ridge;10Sanibel/Indian Ridge;11Indian Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor; 16Loma Linda; 17Sanibel/Loma Vista

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They chose honey as the key "Florida" ingredient, and the entry had to be a dessert ("because dessert is a big treat when you're on vacation") so each entry had to be based on that. Why THIS one won, I must agree with you, TF. I don't know. There was a great deal of talk about how all of the finalists put out delicious desserts, so one assumes it wasn't just that this one tasted better, but I can't recall anyone saying WHY it won.

There was another entry I thought would win (since they were all saying every entry was delicious) because it was named, Honey I'm Home. All things being equal, that's a fantastic name, and makes you associate Orlando with Home (warm, welcoming, accessible to anyone).

It's a great question. Unless I missed it, which is possible, I don't think they ever said why this was the winner.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks a lovely dessert but not quite sure it screams Orlando
    orlando aug 2000
    orlando aug 2005
    orlando aug 2007
    Maui march 2008
    orlando aug 2009
    New York Oct 2010
    Kefalonia May 2010
    Kefalonia May 2011
    Crete Sept 2011
    Paris March 2012
    Kefalonia May 2012
    Kefalonia Spetember 2012
    Tenerife March 2013
    Kefalonia May 2013
    Florida October 2013
    Venice March 2014
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a video from the event, that has a little bit of explanation:

https://www.facebook.com/19797934027...6511747084590/

Scott Joseph, one of the judges of the Top 10 finalists, also has his own blog about it here:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/n...signature-dish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's interesting to note this excerpt from Scott Joseph's site, AND to note that he doesn't say WHY hers was chosen:

Delrieu's dessert included Italian meringue prepared with honey, nougat and fruit confit, on a red berries sorbet. It was distinct in its presentation at the judging for its whimsical bee, with a body fashioned out of chocolate and almond-slice wings. (SIDE NOTE: It was not presented as a bee in the photos we saw during the announcement)

Of course, simply declaring a dessert to be the area's signature food item doesn't make it so. Neither does putting it on dessert menus throughout town, if indeed that comes to pass. Restaurant owners have been putting the words "World Famous" next to menu items since the days of Magellan. You get the final say.

But even if this dessert doesn't catch on, the contest was successful for getting the culinary community together for friendly competition, and for raising awareness of Florida's honey production -- 17 million pounds a year, who knew?
    This is what we were shown, and while there is a little bee on the plate, it's not presented as Scott Joseph describes:

Last edited by Susan Veness; 09-12-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It actually begs the question, what do YOU think Orlando's signature dish should be?? There are several obvious possibilities, but the city's diversity is definitely against it.

Gator Nuggets, anyone...?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would have thought that something with oranges would have resonated more?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/California/Arizona/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Indian Ridge;08Sanibel/Indian Ridge;09Sarasota/Indian Ridge;10Sanibel/Indian Ridge;11Indian Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor; 16Loma Linda; 17Sanibel/Loma Vista

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    I would have thought that something with oranges would have resonated more?
    I agree with TF, something with oranges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's what I thought, too. I guess everyone knows about oranges and Florida (which is why it makes sense, right?!), but they said they wanted to highlight an ingredient people wouldn't know about, which Florida is "known" for (that logic hurts my brain).

Thread Information