Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Topic: SeaWorld's Walrus Calves On Display!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default SeaWorld's Walrus Calves On Display!

Who knew baby walruses could be so cute...?!

Orlando, Fla. – Beginning December 13, 2017, SeaWorld Orlando park guests can see two walrus calves, Ginger and Aku, at the park’s Wild Arctic habitat.

The calves were introduced to each other last month after Aku was rescued from a gold mining dredge off the coast of Alaska. Ginger was born at SeaWorld Orlando this past June.

Ginger’s age and suitability as a social companion combined with SeaWorld’s expertise in raising orphaned walrus calves played a significant role in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services (USFWS) decision to send Aku to Orlando.

The two animals have been socializing together and receiving around-the-clock care over the past several weeks as their new home at Wild Arctic was being prepared for their arrival. The revamped space will provide guests the opportunity to view Ginger and Aku from multiple angles both above and below water alongside harbor seals. The popular exhibit is also home to several other animal species that can be found in the Arctic including adult Pacific walruses and beluga whales.

Guests will have the opportunity to see Ginger and Aku socialize, play with environmental enrichment devices and interact with their care staff, including bottle feeding several times a day. The park plans to facilitate keeper talks intermittently throughout the day to share additional information on the quickly growing pair.

Walruses face significant threats in the wild including habitat loss due to declining floating sea ice and a dwindling food supply. SeaWorld hopes the opportunity to see Ginger and Aku at Wild Arctic will inspire park guests to learn more about these incredible animals, the plight of walruses in the wild and what we can all do to help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Awwwwww.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really cute I really feel for Sea world before Blackfish it must have been near to the top of people’s visit list and such a pleasant day out with a relaxing feel I hope it can find its way amongst all the changes
    orlando aug 2000 2005 2007 2009 2013 2015 2016 2017
    Honolulu 2017
    Maui march 2008 2016
    New York 2010 2016
    Kefalonia 2010 - 2017
    Crete 2011
    Thassos 2015
    New Orleans/ Memphis 2016
    Paris March 2012
    Tenerife March 2013
    Parga 2014 2016
    Tenerife 2013
    Antigua St Lucia Grenada Barbados 2017
    Santorini 2018
    Venice 2014

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awwww .... never expected to find a walrus cute ;) I hope that there presence does help rise awareness .. have to admit I didn’t realise how much numbers have been declining

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Without saying too much, I think we'll be seeing a change (for the better) at SeaWorld in the coming year.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you “I’m not messing around, use the gifts you were given.”

Thread Information