Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Topic: Your Top 10 Restaurants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bring on the marching band! A food discussion! I'll have to give it a bit of thought. *Rubs hands in glee*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have found Celebration slowly but relentlessly going down hill over past ten years. Matket street cafe, mmm. Used to like it, then it just failed to reinvest and you were left sitting in torn benches with holes in them. Final straw for us was having our video camera stolen from it. On ringing them up they went to check at least three times and always forget to come back to the phone (can’t tell you how long before we hung up!), went in and they could care so little they barely even showed any interest, bit like talking to a wet lettuce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aaaaargh! I just spent an age replying to this and just as I was about to post, accidentally swiped left (which is a back-button shortcut). Lost! Oh, well, I've spared you all my lengthy musings!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    The Celebration Town Tavern is definitely a great locals' choice (especially as they have an outside patio that caters to dog-owners!). But it's worth noting that the neighbouring Market Street Cafe, which is another of my local faves (for its classic diner style) has been closed since last summer for "remodelling" and remains shut with no sign of any actual work taking place. Their last FB post about it was back in October and it's hard to understand why there is nothing going on there in such a prime location.
    I think the Tavern would have to be a visit if Julie and the boy are with me, I went in there alone once albeit several years ago and liked it, but there was an element that everyone knew each other....and then there was me.
    "No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!" - Deb Ireland 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In no particular order,

Yachtsman Steakhouse, Narcoosees, Manny's Chop House, Chillies, Orlando Ale House, Boma, Tusker House, Smokey Bones, IHOP, Tepanido.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After some thought, these are our top ten, and they probably don't reflect the true diversity of Florida's great restaurants, but rather fill the tourists tummies.
    Narcoossees,
    The Yatchsman,
    Sanaa,
    Smokey Bones,
    I-Hop,
    The Old Spanish Sugar Mill, DeLeon Springs Purely for something different in a lovely State Park.
    Sweet Tomatoes,
    Joe's Crab Shack,
    Hooters, just love their wings,
    Tusker House, lunch or dinner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Letís try this again! Iíve surprised myself with some of my choices, both in what Iíve included and what Iíve left off. It also strikes me as a bit odd that Iím including places that weíve no intention of visiting during our next trip.

1. Bull & Bear, Waldorf Astoria Weíve been here 3 times over the years. If we could justify the cost, weíd probably go more often.

2. Capital Grille, Mall at Millenia Before this opened we alternated between the bars at Cheesecake Factory and Brio Tuscan Grill, but we havenít been to either since. Our bartender friend there reserves our spots at the bar and sheís introduced us to several of her regulars, which is such fun. They have a great wagyu beefburger and they hand-pull mozzarella every 30 minutes. Best of all, though, are chef's salt and vinegar crisps! They're not on the menu, but they're well worth asking for. I don't really like crisps, but I can demolish a cone of these and come back for more. We visit 4 or 5 times each trip. This location is quite different in style from the one at Pointe Orlando. Not better, just a bit more casual.

3. Victoria & Albertís, Disneyís Grand Floridian We donít eat out for dinner that much (neither on holiday nor at home) but, when we do, we love a tasting menu with wine pairings. We done this one 6 times, but itís less appealing to us now that it no longer attracts the Tables in Wonderland discount.

4. Highball & Harvest, Ritz-Carlton We visited twice in 2015óonce with Mr and Mrs V for dinner in the restaurant, then again for lunch at the bar. With all the new openings at Disney Springs, we didnít get around to it last year, but I might go as far as to say this is currently my favourite of all. The food is upscale comfort food, the decor is stylishly eclectic, the cocktails are creative, and they have a good selection of local beers, several of which are on tap.

5. STK, Disney Springs Iím including this because the dry-aged Delmonica I had there last year was possibly the best steak Iíve ever had. It melted in the mouth and the flavour was other-worldly. I only managed 3 of the chunky parmesan truffle fries and a spoonful each of the mac íní cheese and sweetcorn pudding, but each was a taste sensation and I took the latter two away and snacked on them for days. We ate in the downstairs dining room which has a nightclub vibe, not least due to the DJ pumping out tunes from a booth between the dining area and the bar, but also thanks to the black walls, glitzy decor and beautiful-young-things bar staff. We werenít at all sure about it when we first arrived, but we soon got used to it and actually enjoyed the buzz.

6. California Grill, Disneyís Contemporary Resort Iíve grown weary of the nightly exodus for fireworks, but whiling away an evening at the bar, chatting to the bartenders and grazing on appetisers is still one of our favourite things to do on site.

7. Brown Derby Lounge, Disneyís Hollywood Studios Not really a restaurant as such, but we love to relax on the outdoor patio and watch the world go by. The small-plates selections we had for lunch there last year were amongst the best things we ate all trip. An overlooked gem.

8. Seasons 52, Sand Lake Road We were latecomers to this because the low-calorie spin had never appealed to me, but the food is actually truly delicious and a little bit different. Weíve only ever eaten at the bar for lunch, but the whole place has a really good vibe. It manages to give off a little bit of exclusivity, while being warm and friendly at the same time. I always feel as though Iím at a localsí hotspot rather than a tourist joint. We now visit every trip without fail.

9. The Boathouse, Disney Springs We visited twice last yearóonce for a glass of wine and a cup of lobster bisque at the dockside bar and again for a last-gasp hook-up with Simon and Susan at the indoor raw bar before heading to the airport. Iíd been keeping an open mind ahead of our trip, but I was half expecting to find the usual Disney offering. In a lot of ways, I suppose it is, but the multiple dining areas have succeeded in doing what youíd hope in preventing it from being cavernous and cacophonous. It was a surprise standout for me and Iím looking forward to spending some time there during the evening listening to live music on the jetty.

10. Nomad Lounge, Disneyís Animal Kingdom Again, not a restaurant per se, but it has definitely usurped the bar at Yak and Yeti as our favourite spot to execute our trademark create-your-own-lunch from appetisers. Our dinner at Tiffins, on the other hand, didnít fill us with excitement. We enjoyed it, but there was something lacking.

As weíre now in full trip-planning mode, I thought Iíd also add the list of new (or majorly revamped) places Iím looking forward to.

Flying Fish, Disneyís BoardWalk Itís many years since we last ate here. We were looking forward to sampling the new menu in the re-imagined space last year, but, for reasons I wonít bore you with, we ended up having to cancel.

Morimoto Asia, Disney Springs Another highly anticipated reservation we had to cancel.

Del Friscoís Double Eagle Steakhouse, I-Drive The new location opposite Pointe Orlando looks sensational. Very excited about this!

Urbain 40, Slate, Ocean Prime, The Whiskey These Sand Lake Road offerings have all been on my radar for a while, so itís encouraging to see some of them crop up on S&Sís favourites lists. I doubt weíll get around to all of them, but itís good to have options.

Ale & Compass Lounge, Disneyís Yacht Club The makeover here is remarkable. Itís gone from little more than an afterthought off the lobby to a truly glamourous, grown-up space. Weíre hoping to stay at The Beach Club Villas for the second half of our stay, so I can see this becoming a popular spot!

Paddlefish (top deck), The Boathouse (jetty), Enzoís Hideaway, The Edison, Wine Bar George, Jaleo, Terralina, Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill Weíre planning to stay at Saratoga Springs for part of our trip to make the most of Disney Springs, particularly during the evenings, which is something we didnít really do last year. Iím not sure all of these will make the cutóweíll keep our eye out for reviews after they open. Iíve already scratched Maria and Enzoís after seeing photos and videos from the media preview. Iíve seen no information on the likely opening date for Wolfgang Puckís. I donít even know if construction has started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good stuff Deb, jeez makes my Chick-Fil-A and Casey's comments a bit drab, though I didn't put KFC down even though 1 year they gave me a free cake....
    "No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!" - Deb Ireland 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Sharp View Post
    Good stuff Deb, jeez makes my Chick-Fil-A and Casey's comments a bit drab, though I didn't put KFC down even though 1 year they gave me a free cake....

We know what we like, that's for sure! This is my current top ten, but we do also enjoy some more low-key places. Orlando Ale House is a perennial favourite, especially for Matt. He follows College Football and his team, the Oklahoma Sooners, has its big Bedlam game (local derby against rival university Oklahoma State) whilst we're there, so we'll be settling into a sports bar pretty early in the day for that. We're also partial to a down-home BBQ joint and we love a good burger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UK Deb View Post

We know what we like, that's for sure! This is my current top ten, but we do also enjoy some more low-key places. Orlando Ale House is a perennial favourite, especially for Matt. He follows College Football and his team, the Oklahoma Sooners, has its big Bedlam game (local derby against rival university Oklahoma State) whilst we're there, so we'll be settling into a sports bar pretty early in the day for that. We're also partial to a down-home BBQ joint and we love a good burger.
    Never got to Orlando Ale House last year, will be high up my list though next time, ideal place for me as well as Matt.
    Can't believe I missed it out , but then again we missed a few things as Julie keeps reminding me.

I am an extremely fussy eater, them 2 less so, and having that option to cook in the villa as well as sometimes do 'take out', has always suited us well. I suspect hopefully assuming we do go this year we will add further options to what we did last May.
    We did pretty much have to dine out when we started going to DLP including something more upscale at the Blue Lagoon restaurant inside the Pirates Of The Caribbean ride, which was pretty cool.

I don't actually mind paying more for a drink or any dining really because otherwise why go? and after all now we can get Joshua involved it has added another dimension to our holidays.

That KFC 'cake' was a one off drive thru visit years ago, it might have been a special holiday thing or something, but I came back with allsorts, cake/scones/chicken/potato wedges and more - haven't a clue what I ordered!

Thread Information