Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Chilling at DLP Day 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Chilling at DLP Day 3

Day 3 Tuesday December 5th

Link back to the start.

Today's plan of campaign ultimately had us ending our day in Studios so that we could catch Goofy's Christmas show which we only saw a snippet of last night.

We had a slightly earlier start today, and manged to be out of the room by 10; planning to start in Studio's.

At least the weather had cleared up.

Crushes Coaster would be our starting point. With us not being out until 10, we'd missed the opening of the park, and so Crush had a line of over an hour. Thankfully we managed to twist Mum's arm and convince her to ride.

Mine

No visit to Studio's would be complete without a visit to Tower of Terror.

Whilst queuing for Tower of Terror we decided that we should head over to Disneyland, mainly because we'd find somewhere for lunch, rather than ending up back in Studio 1.

Have a hippo in a tutu

Seeing as we'd yet to eat, it was suggested that we ride Big Thunder before, as Mum wouldn't ride once she'd eaten. The fast pass machine was also still giving out goodies, so me and Dad took some for later.

Soon

Whilst walking over, we noticed that Phantom Manor had a collection of people waiting outside the front of it. This seemed odd to us, as we'd be told that it was supposed to be down for refurb. Once we got over to the Manor, it was clear that the cast member out the front was simply waiting for the all clear from those inside to send people up; so we headed for the disabled entrance.

Clearly not down.

Details

Phantom Manor is much darker than its Haunted Mansion cousin in Florida. One of the scenes in here is so dark that Dad had to keep covering Mum's eyes every time that we rode! Whereas Haunted Mansion has a 'cuteness' about its attempt at being dark; Phantom Manor has attitude about it. Kind of a 'I'm a dark ride, deal with it' attitude.
    Thankfully though the ghosts didn't take our souls, nor our appetite so we made off for lunch. We did briefly think about eating in 'Fuente Del Oro' but the pink creature and a Mexican band were guarding the doors, so we kept walking; eventually ending up in Hakuna Matata. Although this too almost ended up in a walk out, as Mum and Dad had a brief argument. It came as a shock to Mum to discover that what she'd ordered back in June was no longer available, as the menu had changed. Apparently, this is forbidden.

Fearsome guardians

No fear, soon we were seated with lunch, consisting of chicken strips for me and Mum, Dad had the sandwich kebab, to be honest, I'd have rather had this but didn't realise that the salad was on the side to add to taste, rather than shoved in the pitta, like you'd get here in the UK.

To let lunch digest, it was decided that we should go and walk around Aladdin's passage, which was just around the corner.

The enchanted passage of Aladdin. Charming.

Dad sent this picture to my Aunt, with the caption 'where is this?' It wasn't until we got back that we told her where it is, as she never worked it out.

Seeing as we were round this way, we made our way to Adventure Isle and on to Pirates.

No matter how hard I look, I never get the treasure first, where's my map?!?

By this time it was getting on for mid afternoon, and into the danger area of needing a nap, so to counter this we decided that heading for the kids rides was a great idea. So we made our way over to Peter Pan, and the back of the disabled queue. It's worth mentioning that the reason guest services ask questions regarding mobility when getting a disabled access pass, is so they can tick the box that you can move around enough to be evacuated off a ride if need be. Peter Pan has a specific section because of everything being a height, which makes getting people off, more 'interesting' should they need to.

Next up was the maze that is 'Alice's curious labyrinth' I'm not sure we were here because we wanted to be, or because we were trying to waste time.....

Photopass not working? Oh well...

Needs more LSD

But not that much...

Phantom Manor is tame compared to this. Oh (Insert deity of choice) "What did I do to deserve this?"

Thankfully Buzz called to interrupt the madness, saying that once again Emperor Zurg had escaped the toy store and was causing mayhem. Perhaps next time, store him upside down so he can't escape the box?

Traumatised for life, I blame Small World for the abysmal score

Another of the 25th Anniversary decorations.

Our Fastpasses for Big Thunder had come around, so back down the mine me and Dad went.

Far more like it.

Since we were round this way, we went over to Indiana Jones, which is basically a wild mouse on steroids, and has a loop for good measure. Those who don't like being shaken around should avoid.

Temple of Peril, see fluent in French I am.

Perhaps I should try sleeping here if Dad's snoring gets much worse.

During our adventure Mum had gone shopping on Main Street. Apparently during her excursion, she'd had bad service from a rude cast member, and so went to guest services to complain. They supposedly gave her one of the Mickey's that they had on offer for free as an apology. I have eyes to see with, including through that wool she’d just put over them.

By the time we met back up, it was around 5, and so there was an hour before the Christmas show in Studio's, so we headed over and went into the restaurant within Studio 1 for drinks. I'm not sure we'd have got food if we wanted it as they were clearly in the process of closing for the day.

Partners by night.

Waiting in position, with some serious projection.

Tower of Toy Factory. Maybe they have some stronger boxes for Emperor Zurg?

There was some live action stuff, but we couldn't really see it. Plus all the good stuff happens behind them anyway.

A few fireworks, just for good measure.

Once the show ended, we decided that we prefer the show in Disneyland over the Christmas show, as it's put together so much better than this. However with rain in the forecast and the weather moving in, we decided to beat the crowd out of Disneyland and headed back to the village for dinner, before both parks emptied out.
    We settled on Rain Forest Cafe, however when we arrived we (along with everyone else) were promptly sent back outside to wait in the cold. This did not go down well. To add fuel to the raging fire, a rumor of a 35 minute wait for a table broke out. Double trouble. Thankfully this turned out to be complete rubbish as we only waited 5-10 minutes before being seated.
    The menu in here seemed very limited for a Rain Forest Cafe, however we did all find something to eat. I had the Planet Earth Pasta, Dad the Myan Mixed Grill and Mum one of the starter sharing platters. Although limited in choice, and a debacle getting in, the food was very good.

Here is a picture of colorful fish, because why not?

We slowly made our way back to the hotel to wind down for the evening, before calling it a night somewhere around 10:30.

Day 4 is here.
    Last edited by spencem; 29-03-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As for the labyrinth I actually wanted to go in there, also we know how much Edward loves Small World. I was a bit surprised that they had changed the menu in Hakuna Matata but it was fine we all found something to eat.
    I do like Phantom Manor just not the Dr Death guy or the snarling dog Martin had to put his hat over my eyes in the Summer.
    They were very good at Guest Services about sorting out my complaint about the cast member and I did get the Mickey from Guest Services!
    I thought Crush was going to be like Pinball Wizard at Alton Towers but it was not that bad.
    Happiness is my piggies Belle & Chip and my cats Disney & Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some lovely photos of your day I wonder how readers will have the small world tune in their heads 😂
    orlando aug 2000 2005 2007 2009 2013 2015 2016 2017
    Honolulu 2017
    Maui march 2008 2016
    New York 2010 2016
    Kefalonia 2010 - 2017
    Crete 2011
    Thassos 2015
    New Orleans/ Memphis 2016
    Paris March 2012
    Tenerife March 2013
    Parga 2014 2016
    Tenerife 2013
    Antigua St Lucia Grenada Barbados 2017
    Santorini 2018
    Venice 2014

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You certainly covered some ground on that day! The photos (especially the first one across the lagoon) also look terrific. What didn't you like about the Christmas show, though. It looks decent enough, but did it not meet Disney's usually high production values?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by palmer gang View Post
    Some lovely photos of your day I wonder how readers will have the small world tune in their heads ��
    Actually we were 'lucky' enough to get the Christmas version of the song, the one that melds between Jingle Bells and It's a Small World. I can tell you that one is just fantastic to have stuck in your head!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    You certainly covered some ground on that day! The photos (especially the first one across the lagoon) also look terrific. What didn't you like about the Christmas show, though. It looks decent enough, but did it not meet Disney's usually high production values?
    Hopefully Edward will come along later with his thoughts, but I wouldn't say I disliked the Tower of Terror show, more that I liked the castle one more. As you can see we were in the disabled viewing area which although gets a great view of the hotel and the surounding area is a long way from the stange and so we were not really aware of what was happening there. The projections, lights, lasers and fireworks are really good, but maybe the story itself doesn't flow without paying attention to the action on stage?
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Another good (but cold) day. Love all your photos they are very clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another good day and glad you had a better day weather wise.
    And yes, I was right with where the elephant was, I just didn't express myself clearly enough for us to be on the same page, and to be fair, I didn't know the proper name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Needs more LSD

That's one heck of a photo-bomb behind you on Buzz Lightyear, Edward! Geez...get a room, people!

In spite of the cold, it sounds like a terrific day. I agree, the photos from the show on ToT look fantastic.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
    Another good (but cold) day. Love all your photos they are very clear.
    Thanks, I'll take credit for those as I think there was not a single picture taken by the other two all trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post

That's one heck of a photo-bomb behind you on Buzz Lightyear, Edward! Geez...get a room, people!

In spite of the cold, it sounds like a terrific day. I agree, the photos from the show on ToT look fantastic.
    I'd not noticed those two before now, not sure how I hadn't mind you!

Yes the ToT show was very good, but the castle one is better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ha ha, just noticed the couple behind Edward!

Thread Information