Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Chilling at DLP Day 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Chilling at DLP Day 4

Day 4 Wednesday December 6th

As seems to be a running theme with this trip, we once again started our day in Studio’s. The plan being initially for me to ride what I had missed the other day when I had to return part way through the day. Being in no particular rush, we slowly made our way over to Studio’s somewhere around 10:30.

Back once again.

Tower of Terror was our first calling point, because well, it would be rude to walk past without riding. Despite the perception of it being busy from the look of Studio 1, we waited maybe 5 minutes.

Having been bounced around the Twilight Zone, we made our way to the Backlot Tour; which was something I’d missed out on the other day. Unlike its US counterparts, here the narration is played from screens throughout the vehicle, rather than being spoken by the Cast Member on board.

It starts out like your usual backlot tour, here are various props from various films; before heading into Disaster Canyon. The Canyon is an exact replica of the one in Florida, though rather amusingly; the truck moves before the water hits it.

The entrance; not a long queue today.

Remember, absolutely NO interpretive dance on this ride.

The weather took a turn for the worst.

Oh no the truck’s on fire, someone wasn’t paying attention on their ADR course.

Lucky they had all that water stored to put it out with.

Where it does differ though is you then drive into a London scene, that has collapsed buildings, and generally looks like a war zone. Oh and fire.

Post London Riots

Having been suitably educated about a backlot; there was a brief discussion of “what next” a quick time check revealed we were close to the opening of one of the Mickey and the Magician shows, so decided that going inside would be an excellent way to warm up; especially as we’d just purchased a late breakfast/snack at one of the nearby outlets.

The main mouse himself.

I thought he was supposed to be cleaning, not getting dinner ready?

The London Aladdin Genie should come and get some tips from this guy on how to do magic.

And on how to improve his song and dance routine. Seriously this 4 minute segment is better than the whole of the West End version of Aladdin.

Once again the cast were on point, with the show being as good as ever.

Just like yesterday, we decided to head over to Disneyland for lunch rather than be stuck with the offering of what was available in Studio 1.

See, time for lunch.

Just a little Christmas tree.

As we arrived, there was an announcement that the Christmas Parade was only moments away, as this was something that none of us had seen; we decided to stake a spot and watch.

Some people are more excited than others at the prospect of a parade.

Goofy lead the band round.

At least they were warm.

Not sure what the chipmunks were up to.

Just for you TF.

No idea what this is supposed to be.

Woody and Buzz put in an appearance.

The brains trust came along.

Wonder who will be on this one?

Well it is the Christmas Parade after all.

The lady on the left clearly wants to make the move from Operations to Performance, she knew all the dance steps for the closing team.

For the lunch venue today, we opted for the Mexican restaurant opposite Big Thunder; thankfully today, the Mexican band had moved on and so we could enter.

There was quite a line when we entered, but this was of little concern to us as it was lunchtime and so we thought the wait would only be 10 minutes tops.

Oh how nave we were to be….

AN HOUR later, and we finally were at the counter. The problem was that the people working the registers, were also preparing the orders, so everything was taking easily twice as long. Unfortunately, the food wasn’t really worth waiting for, with mine and Mums burrito’s clearly having sat for some time. I think Dad’s fajitas were ok, but these had only just started, so were basically cooked to order.
    Mediocre lunch obtained, digestion time was definitely on the cards. So a visit to the Dragon’s lair was in order.

Deep under here a dragon slumbers.

Shhh, you’ll wake him.

The dungeon exit offers some great views of the castle.

Continued Below
    Last edited by spencem; 04-02-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was another reason that we were now over this side of the park; we wanted to head into Videopolis to watch the Mickey’s Christmas Big Band show. The show was excellent, and again like all the live shows, the cast freely switched between English and French. I particularly enjoyed the part where Mickey and the drummer compete with each other, which can’t be easy from inside the costume where it’s both hot and has limited visibility.

Impressive entrance, but not the one to use to see the show, you need to go around the back for that.

The large and hardworking dance ensemble.

There were 4 lead singers, plus the characters.

Mickey woos Minnie.

Goofy gets into the swing of things.

There was some impressive solo work as well.

Mickey on his sparkly drums.

Time to take a bow.

Having given our mediocre lunch more than enough time to digest, we decide to play it safe by finishing off the last couple of rides in Fantasy Land; those being the Casey Juniors train ride and the canal boat ride which takes you around some miniature representations of various fairy stories. I’m sure people around were giving us odd looks as both these rides are best ridden with small children.

Look, stories.

Choo Choo.

As we made our way around to Pinocchio, it was clear that they were setting up for another Parade, so not being in any rush we staked our spot just outside Small World to view the parade.

Leading the way.

Even those with fur coats were wrapped up against the cold.

He can sling his Hook.

Dude.

FIRE!

Let one go to close the show.

It was getting properly dark by the time the parade had passed.

Parade over, we tagged on the back of the horde to get over to Pinocchio. The version here of Pinocchio is, as a running theme for Paris, much darker than the US versions and focuses more so the actual backstory of Pinocchio’s upbringing. For what is supposed to be a children story and ride; it’s actually quite dark. The same also applies to Snow White, which is where we headed to after Pinocchio.

There was just enough time to squeeze in a trip with the Pirates before attempting to stake a spot for the night time show. I think it is fair to say that Pirates is quite possibly one of, if not Mum’s favourite ride.

Once again, we came away without any treasure; so before using the last of our luck in attempting to get a decent spot for the night time show we took a walk round to mum’s other favourite Phantom Manor.

No time to ride you, just time for a picture.

Off to see the dead.

Thankfully getting a spot for the show was successful and much easier than the other night as we now knew where we were going.

Part of the Christmas pre-show.

Can you feel the love tonight?

The projections are incredibly clear.

I think she just needs to let it go.

Swirly.

All that was left now, was to allow the crowd out whilst thinking about where we wanted dinner. We settled on Annette’s for dinner, but with the line out the door, Mum decided that she wasn’t waiting in the cold and so went back to the room. It was around 30 minutes that me and Dad waited before we were seated; being just the two of us, we happily took one of the bar style tables, meaning we jumped some the queue for a table.

I opted for the Bacon Chilli Burger whilst Dad went for the Blue Cheese Burger. Both we excellent and more food then we could eat.
    Having eaten more than we should, a quick trip to World of Disney was in order for some Christmas shopping. It was on the way back though that Dad realised we still had a load of shopping to collect from the hotel! Good job he remembered, or we would have likely come away without picking it up.
    Retail therapy complete, it was back to the room to unwind, before going to bed, for what would be the final time of this trip.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Phew what a busy day, shame the mexican food wasn't up to much. What a daft idea taking the order then preparing it!
    Some fantastic photos again and it sure looks chilly...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Such a lot done and it doesn't look at all busy for the Christmas Parade.
    I do think the projections are much better when it is properly dark, but the weather is more amiable in the summer.
    Last edited by sex kitten; 05-02-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another great day for you, although I still can't get my head round Disney and the cold.

And thank you for the photo of Tigger, or should that be merci beaucoup?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/California/Arizona/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Indian Ridge;08Sanibel/Indian Ridge;09Sarasota/Indian Ridge;10Sanibel/Indian Ridge;11Indian Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor; 16Loma Linda; 17Sanibel/Loma Vista

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
    Phew what a busy day, shame the mexican food wasn't up to much. What a daft idea taking the order then preparing it!
    Some fantastic photos again and it sure looks chilly...
    My food was great, but I'm not sure what the other two had.

Quote Originally Posted by *** kitten View Post
    Such a lot done and it doesn't look at all bust for the Christmas Parade.
    I do think the projections are much better when it is properly dark, but the weather is more amiable in the summer.
    The parade wasn't bust at all, it was all working.
    Yes the projections were much better against a fully black sky than when we saw them in June, but it was much warmer waiting for them in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    Another great day for you, although I still can't get my head round Disney and the cold.

And thank you for the photo of Tigger, or should that be merci beaucoup?
    Cold it certainly was, but then these last few weeks have been rather cold in Florida as well.

You're welcome, I thought of you when he came bouncing round the corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great to see how much you can accomplish in a day without rushing, and good for you for catching both parades by accident! I also really like the look of Mickey's Big Band Christmas show. If the music was half as good as the visuals, it was a treat indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always thought the Studio Tram Tour in DLP is so much better than the one Orlando had. Did you think so, too?

Nice shows, and terrific that you go to see the parades. Shame about the food, though. What a ridiculous way to arrange paying and serving.

Remember, absolutely NO interpretive dance on this ride.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    Great to see how much you can accomplish in a day without rushing, and good for you for catching both parades by accident! I also really like the look of Mickey's Big Band Christmas show. If the music was half as good as the visuals, it was a treat indeed.
    The Big Band show was indeed very good, the band were great, the singing top notch and the dancers very energetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    I always thought the Studio Tram Tour in DLP is so much better than the one Orlando had. Did you think so, too?

Nice shows, and terrific that you go to see the parades. Shame about the food, though. What a ridiculous way to arrange paying and serving.

I've not seen the Orlando tram tour for years, but I'd say it was better. The Paris one might have two set peices, but there is a lot of driving past not much at all between them. Orlando also used to have that pre-show with the water tanks that Paris doesn't have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a lovely report ... you’re good at this Edward ... your photos are brilliant

Had to admit just looking at your pictures makes me feel cold but the Christmas shows and parades look great

Shame about the wait for lunch though

Thread Information