Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Short Cut through Championsgate

karalma is offline Proud Recipient of Six--count 'em, six!!--Fast Passes During Year of a Million Dreams!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Short Cut through Championsgate

Does anybody know any way of getting onto the I4 from the Shire at Westhaven and avoiding the traffic. Currently there is always a huge delay turning from Championsgate Boulevard onto the I4. We have tried the longer route up the US27 and along the 192 but wondered if there were any other routes. Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just asked my driver (Alan) who said the only other way he could think of is to go past the turning on Champions Boulevard to the I4 and you will come to Old Lake Wilson Road. Turn left and you will come to the 192. Then you could get on the I4 from there. Can't think of any other way but Tiggers Friend might know as he stays around that area a bit.

karalma is offline Proud Recipient of Six--count 'em, six!!--Fast Passes During Year of a Million Dreams!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you CL and driver Alan ��. I think TF mentioned Old Lake Wilson Road so will try that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Old Lake Wilson Road route is definitely a good bet, albeit, it is also seeing more traffic these days, especially in the evening rush hour. You can, of course, take the (toll) 429 highway up to Disney (one exit past the 192), or you could even go north out of Champions Gate on Masters Blvd (past the Omni Resort) and then continue along Goodman Rd all the way to Westside Blvd, which goes up to the 192 just west of the 429.

The unfortunate thing about I-4 these days is that it is pretty much packed all the way (north) east to junction 68, for Disney Springs and Lake Buena Vista, where it does ease up a bit. It's a fairly constant level of traffic throughout the day, but is really bad in the evening and for the morning rush hour. One other possibility if it's really bad from junctions 62-68 is to come off at 62 and take the toll 417 north (ish) to exit 3, go left on Osceola Parkway and then right on to International Drive South, which tends to be clear until you get to SeaWorld.

Either way, it isn't an easy journey these days and traffic is fast becoming the bane of our lives in many areas, but especially along I-4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It does depend where you are going as the route through Championsgate is the only way directly onto the I4 from the estates on the Ronald Reagan Parkway, so if you are going somewhere on the Interstate then holding out in the traffic is probably worth the pain.

The alternative is Old Lake Wilson onto the 192, right at the junction and the onto World Drive if you are heading for Disney. But of course the 192 can be busy. So take Old Lake Wilson, soon after it crosses over the Interstate take a left onto Sinclair Road and then after a mile a right onto Connector Road (you can go straight up here to Formosa Gardens) and join the 429 (a toll road). This has a junction with the 192 close to Rolling Oaks (get off here for Super Target, Longhorn, Olive Garden, Applebees to the east, Mannys to the west) or carry on to Exit 8 for the Western Way. Turn right and this will bring you out by Disney's Coronando.

But as I say taking the pain in Championsgate may be worth it!!

BTW I suspect that the extra traffic is due to Easter as we have generally seen this delay on holiday weekends, ie Memorial Day weekend. Hopefully you may see it go by Monday or Tuesday.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for that TF. We will give your suggestions a try. We knew it was going to be busy as it is Easter and as you say sometimes it is better to just be patient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the recommendation Tigger's Friend. We tried the Old Wilson Lake Road today and it was so much easier. We were very grateful to you when we saw how busy the I4 was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by karalma View Post
    Thank you for the recommendation Tigger's Friend. We tried the Old Wilson Lake Road today and it was so much easier. We were very grateful to you when we saw how busy the I4 was.
    No problem, glad to have been of help. Now Easter is over has the traffic calmed a bit?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    No problem, glad to have been of help. Now Easter is over has the traffic calmed a bit?
    Unfortunately not TF. Last night we made the stupid error of following the sat nav from Old Lake Wilson Road, down Sinclair Road, thinking it might be a shortcut and not realising it just took us onto the I4. There was an accident at the Championsgate exit which closed the exit and had all lanes at a standstill for 20 minutes. Still, we were grateful we weren’t in the accident.

Today we set off at 6.50 for Animal Kingdom, thinking the traffic might be lighter early morning but no it took us 1 hour 10 minutes using Old Lake Wilson Road and would have been much longer using the I4. Still, we had a good morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oops. If you had gone across the 429 rather than on to it on Sinclair Road and turned right onto Happy Trails that brings you to a T junction on South Goodman Road (just had to look that up!!). Turn left and that brings you Championsgate.

However, I have to say while I've looked at it on the map in the past, I've never actually driven that way, so might be worth an explore in the light and when you are not in a rush.

Glad you are having a good time.

Thread Information