Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What can i pack??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post What can i pack??

Hi Guys

So everything is now booked sorted and counting down....
    what can i pack can i take a couple of boxes of cereal in my case??
    also can i pack citronella candles or is it best to get them there don't want to get bit by the NoSeeUms worse than Mozzies apparently?
    cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With regard to what goods you can take into the US, this link may help

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...--general-food

Depending on what cereal you eat you may be able to get them in the States.

In all the time we've been to Florida we have not had any problem with mozzies. I think I may be right in saying the the noseeums are only found on beaches?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Noseeums aren't likely to be an issue unless you're along the water somewhere. I'd get citronella here if you think you need it. What cereal do you like? Things like weetabix, gorilla crunch, frosties and others that might just have a different name but are the same are in many supermarkets. Or, you might just try something new.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We eat cereals in the villa and have found things we like in the supermarkets, they have a fair selection although we are always surprised at how expensive they are. We got bitten by noseeums on Sanibel but that was near the beach. Have you tried Avons original skin so soft spray? People swear by it to deter the biting insects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In my earlier posts ( couple of months back) I said we were staying in Cape Coral in a Canal side villa so the NoSeeUms are worse than Mozzies which don't usually bother me!!
    Cereal when we were in Orlando previously we found cereals extortionate and don't think they'll be any cheaper in Cape Coral or Fort Myers.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, a lot of basic foodstuffs have gone up in price in recent years, making standard grocery shopping noticeably more expensive for European visitors. I think it's just a sign of a healthy (ish) economy. There is an Aldi in Cape Coral, though, hence you might want to try there first for the best prices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Certain food items are definitely more expensive irrespective of where you buy from. Publix I find more expensive than Walmart but fresh produce I think is a bit better.
    Fresh fruit and bread as an example are much more expensive than your standard UK supermarket. A 'big shop' will certainly cost a fair bit more than it does over here.

We usually take some villa provisions to cut down the costs, toiletries, bin liners, things that won't necessarily impact the weight in your cases too much.
    "No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!" - Deb Ireland 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We just did a big shop, and here's an example of what you'll pay for various items:

Low-fat organic milk: $4.49 (half gallon)
    Large all-white tuna in water, name brand: $4.19
    170 grams fresh raspberries: $2.50
    Frozen whole 14 ounce Edamame: $2.99
    Premium fresh strawberries: $3.99 for two 16 ounce packages
    Reduced sodium black beans (1 1/2 cup can): 95 cents
    Green bell pepper: $1.52
    English cucumber: $1.67
    Heirloom tomatoes: $3.99 per pound
    Extra-large brown eggs: $4.99 per dozen
    Bananas: $.65 cents per pound ($1.68 for 8)
    Gala apples: $3.99 for one large bag
    Haas Avocados: 3 for $5
    Organic orange juice: $3 for 52 ounces
    Jif Reduced Fat peanut butter: $3.09 for 16 ounces

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is that $1.52 for one bell pepper? That is expensive. As are the eggs. Mind you a lot of your list is more expensive than here. We found this when we were over in April/May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've already thrown the receipt away, but I got 3 bell peppers, so it could be for all 3. The eggs are more expensive because they're organic brown eggs (it would be about a dollar less for regular white eggs).

Some things are less than what I pay, such as tomatoes. I can't stand "regular" tomatoes here, which are hot-house tomatoes, shipped green and sprayed to make them turn red, so they're not really ripe. I buy heirloom or "Ugly" tomatoes (which are REAL tomatoes instead of those perfectly round, genetically tampered-with horrors), and they do cost quite a bit more. We also buy organic milk and if we have to buy something in a can, we buy low sodium/low fat/low sugar, etc, whenever possible, which also costs a little bit more.

Florida grocery shopping is definitely more expensive than it was when we had a home in Michigan. Nearly double on many items, and even more than that on things like produce. I paid 19 cents per pound for bananas in Michigan. Produce on the whole was less expensive an much fresher than in Florida, since Florida makes more money when it exports its produce to other states than it does when it sells produce in-state. It's probably our single biggest gripe about living here.
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 26-06-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Thread Information