Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Exursions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Exursions

Well 6 months today we would have been in LA 24 hours before boarding our cruise ship for a departure time of 18.00-18.30 and on Sunday we can book our 'free' excursions if those in the higher cabins haven't filled all the places as we have heard that people just book and see how they feel on the day or if the weather is agreeable.
    The consensus of opinion is, as they are 'free' it doesn't matter.
    This is only a small proportion, but to my mind, if someone signs up and doesn't show [especially if the excursion is wait listed] they should be made to pay the cost of the excursion.

I know, I'm making waves before I even get to book, experience the cruise line and their product

Anyway, I digress. Just wondered if anybody is interested in knowing what we have booked, wait listed or paid an upgrade to do?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes please, just being nosy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes! I don't even know who you're with or where you're going.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you ďIím not messing around, use the gifts you were given.Ē

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For Susan, we are sailing on Regent Seven Seas Navigator from LA to Tahiti, which is the first leg of it's 2019 round the world cruise.

Well booking the excursions didn't quite go to plan, as we should have been able to do this at 00.01 this morning, stealing a march on the Americans, but behind the Australians.
    If we were in a more expensive suite or was high up in their tier system we could have booked at 240 days out, but hey ho.
    I was finger poised to log in, but once the button was pushed, I had no booked cruises!
    Re input our details and got the message 'No matching cruises found for this reservation number or name!

This I thought would be rectified by logging out and back in as I thought I had been over zealous and logged in too early.
    An hour and half later, I still had no booked cruise, and I went to bed very grumpy knowing that Regent in the UK is shut on Sundays, so resigned to sorting it out on Monday.

Thought I'd just try again this morning and voila all was good and I could do our tours, but we are now last to the pass.

Nawiliwili Kauai, we have opted to do a an long free tour called Discover Kauai.

Depart from the pier and enjoy a leisurely drive north to a marina on the Wailua River, one of the few navigable waterways in Hawaii. Starting high atop Mount Waialeale in the center of Kauai, the river tranquilly weaves through 20 miles of thick jungle.
    While cruising, you will stop at the geological wonder Fern Grotto, a lava-rock cave covered with tropical flora. Being a natural amphitheater, the grotto provides a wondrous setting and fine acoustics for the musicians who will serenade you with traditional Hawaiian tunes.

Continuing on, you will head toward Kilauea National Wildlife Refuge to see its towering lighthouse and bird sanctuary. The refuge’s ocean cliffs and grassy slopes provide a fine habitat for some of the largest populations of nesting seabirds in Hawaii. Be on the look out for red-footed boobies, Laysan albatross, and wedge-tailed shearwaters.

Then, after an island picnic lunch on Anini Beach, you will be treated to a view of beautiful, crescent-shaped Hanalei Bay and its signature pier. The landmark Waioli Huiia Church stands nearby, a reminder of the missionaries who settled here in the 1830s. Finally, you will be stopping for photos of the 150-foot Opaekaa Falls. Opaekaa means “rolling shrimp,” which were once abundant in the stream.

Honolulu Oahau. No tour booked as we want to do Pearl Harbour. Regent have no offerings for Pearl Harbour. If they don't add any tours we will do this ourselves.

Kahalui Maui. We wanted the zodiac whale watching tour, but this is currently full. I will ring and wait list this one but if not I will book an independent tour.

Hilo Hawaii. This stop is in some doubt owing to the ongoing eruption of the volcano of Mount Kilauea. Most tours involve the National Volcanic Park and those that don't are full, so we will wait list the one we were contemplating which revolves around coffee, macadamia nuts and scenery.

Nuka Hiva [Marquesas Islands] There is only one option her apart from the beach so we have booked the tour.
    Nuka Hiva's spectacular beauty and photo opportunities are yours to discover during this adventure in the Taipivai Valley. Your tour is conducted caravan style in groups of approximately 15 4WD vehicles with only one tour guide per group.

Drive to the Taipivai Valley, one of the richest archeological sites in the Marquesas Islands. The Taipivai Valley was made famous by the American writer and former sailor, Herman Melville (1819-1891), who deserted his ship and hid in this valley. Captured by the indigenous natives, he lived in the Taipivai Valley for three weeks, a period during which he observed their way of life. This experience was the inspiration for his novel, Typee. This landmark was most recently made famous by being the base camp for the Survivor TV show, filmed here in 2001. Your drive leads you through valleys among lush vegetation and great view points. Along the way, you will pass small villages, churches and sacred temples, stopping to take in spectacular views and memorable photos of the coastline, bays and valleys. Itinerary and stops vary, depending on local conditions. You will also stop at the site of Te A’Aitua. Please note: This tour is mainly panoramic with limited narration during photo stops only. Vehicles travel caravan stile in groups of approximately 15, with only one tour guide for the entire group. The drivers are not guides, and their command of the English language is very limited or none. Not all vehicles used are air-conditioned. Travelling to the Marquesas is discovering secluded islands, with limited facilities. Excursions are operated with local resident's personal vehicles.

Fakarava is an atoll in the west of the Tuamotu group in French Polynesia. It is the second largest of the Tuamotu atolls. Fakarava’s main village is called Rotoava. This Island's infrastructure doesn't support any tours, it is all about the beach, sea and snorkelling.

Continued.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bora Bora. Bora Bora lies 150 miles northwest of Tahiti in the Society Islands. The main island, home to 4,225 inhabitants, is in the center of a multicolored lagoon, surrounded by offshore "motu" islets inside a protective coral necklace. Its lagoon is world-famous for its beauty. A partially paved road circles the island, passing colorful villages, archeological sites, and old Army bunkers and cannons left over from WWII, when 5,000 American GIs made a "friendly invasion." I am so excited to be visiting here and to have nearly two whole days is beyond my wildest dreams. We arrive mid morning and we both wanted to do the sunset cruise as the colours in and on the lagoon are very much fable, but it is full. Another wait listed one, but we do have other options to do if we don't get the tour.
    The next day, the timings are right to do two tours and we have decided that we will do one of the Regent Choice Tours which involves a supplement but we are hoping to see some scenery and views that not many do.
    Depart the pier with your driver for an off-road, 4WD excursion to places only accessible via off-road equipped vehicles. Leaving the main road behind, your driver will navigate off-road tracks that cover steep terrain, and introduce you to the plants, trees and lifestyles of Bora Bora.

After driving through the small town of Vaitape on the shore of Pofai Bay, you'll ascend Pahonu Hill. Here, you will find expansive views of Bora Bora's natural harbor and Matira Beach. You will then continue on for a second ascent, some more off-road adventure driving and a visit to the cannons still standing in their original World War II locations.
    Travel along the northern shore of Bora Bora into the lush valley of Faanui, pass by Marae, and view Faanui Bay from a traditional plantation high up in the mountains. On your return, pass by Matira beach, famous public beach of the island, and the Antena view point.

Our other tour is another free one and it is a snorkelling one.
    Explore the exquisite beauty and undersea denizens of Bora Bora's lagoon during this sting ray ballet and snorkeling safari aboard a covered snorkeling boat.

Depart the pier aboard a covered snorkeling boat for the cruise by the ancient crater rim of Motu Toopua, then past Motu Tapu. You will then drop anchor on a shallow sandbank to discover the elegant, yet harmless stingrays. You will watch in amazement as your guide hand feeds the stingrays as they glide effortlessly around you. If you are willing, your guide will even help you get close enough to touch them.

Next, you will continue on for a visit to a pristine coral garden. Upon arrival, you will receive your safety and diving instructions, then have an opportunity to snorkel in depths ranging from 4-5 feet. Along the way, you will see an abundance of tropical and multi-colored fish, including parrotfish and butterfly fish.

Our sailaway coincides with sunset, so should be very special, coupled with with both a Super Full Moon the night before we arrive and a full lunar eclipse that I'm hopeful we will get to see in some form.

Raiatea and Taha'a. This is our last Island port and the Islands are two separate islands sharing the same lagoon. Located 120 miles northwest of Tahiti, between Huahine and Bora Bora among the leeward Society Islands, Raiatea is the second largest island of French Polynesia after Tahiti. The island tour reveals lush green valleys, numerous waterfalls, and pineapple and vanilla plantations. Discover fascinating under-water scenery within Raiatea's deep lagoon, rich with fish and surrounded by mountains. We can also do two tours here and as the history of the Island is such and important one we thought finding out about this was a must.

Known as the sacred island, Raiatea was the center of royalty, religion, culture and history. Boarding your 4X4 at the pier, you and your fellow guests will head off to the island's interior for a close-up look at this tropical paradise that features verdant mountains and lush foliage. As you navigate the inland roads, you'll find yourself traveling amongst lush vegetation that includes bamboo forests, chestnut trees, mango trees and guava trees.
    Along with tourism, the island relies on cottage industries and you will have the chance to visit one of them with a brief stop at a small vanilla field. From there, it's on to Raiatea's most famous landmark, Marae Taputapuatea. It was from this sacred site that the ancient Polynesians set-off to discover the other islands which now form the famous Polynesian Triangle: Hawaii, New Zealand and Easter Island.This particular sacred site is dedicated to Oro, the bloodthirsty god of war who demanded human sacrifices.

Our other tour is by water.

Board your motorized outrigger canoe at the pier and glide over the waters of Raiatea's deep blue lagoon towards the mouth of the Faaroa River; Polynesia's only navigable river. Along the way, you will see wild hibiscus, or purau, bamboo groves, chestnut trees, ginger flowers and more. Your guide will also share a bit of Polynesian history and folklore about the famous voyages that emanated from this river to all of the islands in the Polynesian Triangle. As you navigate the river into Raiatea's interior, you'll see lush tropical foliage, verdant mountains and waterfalls.
    Leaving the river, a stop will be made at a "motu" (islet) where you can swim and relax while enjoying some refreshments.

Our next port will be Tahiti where we have to disembark for our two night flights home and we have been told that Regent will either offer a day hotel or a tour as we don't have to be at the airport till 9pm, but we have also been told, that if we don't like Regents option, to hire a car and to go and explore, so we will wait and see on that one.

If anyone has any thoughts on our tours, good or bad, please chime in.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nawiliwili Kauai, we have opted to do a an long free tour called Discover Kauai.

That looks fun. The canyon is also spectacular.

Honolulu Oahau. No tour booked as we want to do Pearl Harbour. Regent have no offerings for Pearl Harbour. If they don't add any tours we will do this ourselves.

Go as early as you can, tickets can be cheaply pre booked but it appears that the peculiar weather in the harbour does affect later tours sometimes. Its not very far, bus or taxi perfectly possible. Certainly worth the trip. Old Honolulu is within walking distance of the port as is a very good beach (Kaka Ako) as possible alternatives.

Kahalui Maui.

Hana highway is a long day but if you have the time its worth the effort.

Hilo Hawaii. This stop is in some doubt owing to the ongoing eruption of the volcano of Mount Kilauea. Most tours involve the National Volcanic Park and those that don't are full, so we will wait list the one we were contemplating which revolves around coffee, macadamia nuts and scenery.

That Volcano is certainly spectacular but I assume not accessible at the moment. Walking through the lava tubes seemed like a good idea at the time, bet you cant do it now. The nut factory is kind of interesting for the wildlife that hangs about by the fence but its mostly about the various nut flavoured foods they want to sell you. The ice cream is a must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you can't get on the whale-watching tour at Maui, the trip up the (extinct) volcano is totally memorable. And doing the coffee plantation tour on the Big Island is definitely one I enjoyed a lot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We booked pearl harbour through the offsite it was well organised and I know itís on Brianís list we didnít do the submarine but wish we had as DH said the boat part of pearl harbour is subject to weather and I did read that boats are not currently dropping off on the memorial due to cracks .
    Maui small boats are genobetter for whale watching they go faster if you canít get on one Hana Highway is beautiful but a long day . The view from the top of the volcano on Maui is literally breathtaking
    orlando aug 2000 2005 2007 2009 2013 2015 2016 2017
    Honolulu 2017
    Maui march 2008 2016
    New York 2010 2016
    Kefalonia 2010 - 2017
    Crete 2011
    Thassos 2015
    New Orleans/ Memphis 2016
    Paris March 2012
    Tenerife March 2013
    Parga 2014 2016
    Tenerife 2013
    Antigua St Lucia Grenada Barbados 2017
    Santorini 2018
    Venice 2014

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That sounds very promising. I am surprised that Waimea Canyon is not part of the tour in Kauai as this is absolutely stunning.

As far as Pearl Harbour is concerned, boats can currently not dock at the Arizona memorial as cracks have appeared around the boat dock and they reappeared after they tried to repair them. Initially they suspended the boat tours, but they have restarted them now sailing past the Arizona memorial before returning to the visitor centre.

Corinna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphingirl View Post
    That sounds very promising. I am surprised that Waimea Canyon is not part of the tour in Kauai as this is absolutely stunning.

As far as Pearl Harbour is concerned, boats can currently not dock at the Arizona memorial as cracks have appeared around the boat dock and they reappeared after they tried to repair them. Initially they suspended the boat tours, but they have restarted them now sailing past the Arizona memorial before returning to the visitor centre.

Corinna
    The Waimea Canyon is a separate four and a half hour tour and we did consider it, but tbh we dismissed it as it is nearly four hours on a bus and suitable for everyone. Taking into account the age demographics as we know being part of a world tour it will be skewered on the elderly side, and that reading various blogs about Regent, the more elderly, less firm shy away from the longer tours, so opted for the longer more active tour.
    This might sound horrid of us, but we will have just done 5 straight sea days, so some walking will be good

Thread Information