Likes Likes:  104
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Topic: Orlando to Boston via Yellowstone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bison of Lamar Valley

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh wow, once again such stunning photos. I would love to visit here, you have definitely sold it to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
    Oh wow, once again such stunning photos. I would love to visit here, you have definitely sold it to me.
    It's definately the most stunning place we have been to. We made a couple of errors like where to stay and over planning but that was my fault, the whole park is absolutely stunning and we HAVE to go back soon. The route we took out of the park though only 4 weeks ago is now closed with snow on it and temperatures of -12

https://www.yr.no/place/United_State...eartooth_Pass/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Very much like when we visited Calgary/Banff/Jasper in 2008. We went mid September to early October. The weather ranged from nearly in the 80's early on to snow and ice when we drove back to Calgary. Most of the lake trips we took were closing soon after as the lakes freeze over...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Billings to Casper

The whole reason we were coming back from Yellowstone to Denver a different was was for today, a place i had wanted to visit and see since i was a child. Like visiting Tombstone last year, today was about visiting somewhere that had fascinated me all my life. When you talk about the time of gunfighters, cowboys and Indians, this place is probably up there with the most famous pieces of American History ever and it would prove to be one of the best days of the whole trip, almost any trip we have done so far. Firstly we stopped off at a cafe and gift shop just outside the park and the shop was full of amazing stuff with people more than happy to talk to you, especially when they found out where we came from. We spent over an hour in this one small shop.

The Battle of the Little Bighorn

The Battle of the Little Bighorn still has a little mystic around it as no-one truely knows what happened that day but we were to get an account from an elderly Lakota Indian that i can't describe, everyone who say and listened to him was just so entranced. He introduced himself as a Lakota Indian and spoke about the term Indian and Native American and the political correctness that surrounds the term and then ended it by saying "I am a Lakota Indian". He said people should only find offense where offense is intended. He then said there were no good guys or bad guys that day. The native tribes were fighting to protect their way of life, their very existence, while the soldiers were following orders from Washington, like many before them and many since then so no-one should be seen as the good guys or the bad guys. It was a brilliant start to a presentation and just got better as he continued.

He then went on to describe the events that led up to the battle, how it all unfolded, where each group fell, what some of the markers meant and the different locations (spread out about 3 miles across the Big Horn) and encouraged us to drive to the other parts. His talk was simply enthralling and encouraged us to come in to the visitors center and speak to him if we had any other questions and the 50 or 60 people that were sat listening to him seemed to be as engrossed as i was. No photos or video but it was a talk i wish i could have recorded the whole talk. We had set aside 2 hours to visit the park but ended up staying over 4 which totally threw our daily plan right out of the window.

So here are a few photos of the visit ................. ok maybe more than a few.

Last Stand Hill where Custer fell

The markers are just markers, not where people are buried.

You can just see a pathway down to the right that takes you right down to a gully where many soldiers died in an ambush that day. It was a bit of a walk back up the hill after but worth walking down to get a sense of what happened that day. Over to the extreme right in th flat land area was where the tribes were camped, some 7000 in numbers.

There was a beautiful and tranquil Indian memorial that was designed to show that rather than the site being seen as a heroic battle against the odds for Custer and his men, the Indian tribes were fighting to protect their families and their way of life and very existence, the design of the memorial is simply brilliant and believe it was part of the whole site to show people that this place should not be seen as a memorial to Custer and his men but to everyone that dies that day.

The walk down to the bottom of the gully ............... and a long walk back up

The Visitors centre

i could not believe how quickly time slipped away and we were just about to leave the park when the inevitable happened ........................... i got stopped for speeding

I got stopped by a park ranger who said i had been doing 30mph in parts of the park when the speed limit was 15mph throughout the park. I told him i really didn't realise especially when we were out the back of the park about 3-4 miles drive on a road that had virtually no cars on it at all. He said he wasn't going to ticket me and to be honest he was really nice and friendly and just told me to be more careful.

The visit to this park was everything i hoped it would be but way more. It was so educational and you can't help but come away with a different perspective on what happened and despite over running by about 2 hours i was so pleased we had managed to visit here.

We then headed off down to Casper for our overnight stop
    Last edited by Superspur; 11-10-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fascinating stuff SS, with some very evocative photos. Thanks for posting.

Lucky to get off the speeding ticket, guess the park ranger felt some sympathy as you were a tourist!
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/California/Arizona/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Indian Ridge;08Sanibel/Indian Ridge;09Sarasota/Indian Ridge;10Sanibel/Indian Ridge;11Indian Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor; 16Loma Linda; 17Sanibel/Loma Vista; 18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Casper to Denver

After our night in Casper we headed off down to Denver then decided to try again to figure out the Metro which we eventually did and got on a train in to Downtown Denver, it was pretty simple when we eventually figured out the charging. It gave me a chance to get a look at Coors Field Baseball Field which was a lovely old looking stadium. We just had time to really grab dinner and head back to the hotel and an early night as we'd done a lot of driving the past week or so but this was basically then end of the road for my driving. The following day we had a flight up to Washington booked which i was looking forward to as we had had such a lovely time last year but missed out on seeing some bits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Denver to Washington

After arriving in Washington we grabbed dinner early then decided to go out and see the monuments in the evening which we didn't do last time and they were absolutely beautiful, they just look so different during the evening than they do during the day and a lot less busy as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superspur View Post
    Bison of Lamar Valley

Truly one of THE great timeless views anywhere in the world. We will definitely go back at some stage, too, and I'd also be keen to see it in winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just a true 'Wow' hearing about the Battle of the Little Bighorn. I didn't know it was so comprehensively memorialised, and it is now definitely on my must-see list. Great report. And I think I'll need more than 4 hours!!

Thread Information