Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  104
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Topic: Orlando to Boston via Yellowstone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Orlando to Boston via Yellowstone

Back from another amazing road trip in the USA and another 5 states added bringing the total to 21 states now. I'll just update this thread over the next week or two as i don't see the point of clogging up the forum with 21 different threads for the one trip

Day 1

Stayed down at Gatwick for our overnight stay before the trip started then off to the North Terminal as all Virgin's trips now seem to come out of the North terminal. We got on the plane early and sat in our exit row seats and waited for the plane to fill up................. and we waited...................... and waited, until they announced everyone was on board and the doors were closed. I had never seen such an empty plane in my life. There must have been barely 80 people on the plane in all classes. As we took off we were chatting to the stewardess sat next to us who told us last Monday a plane took off with about 30 people on it

It was a quick flight over, barely 8h 20mins and when we landed we were almost first off the plane. As we arrived in the immigration hall it was virtually empty so i started timing, adding on what we had used up from getting off the plane, and it took us a fraction over 11 minutes from the minute we got off the plane to when we got through immigration. However, by the time we got to the desk it seems as though at least 3 or 4 planes had come in behind us and the place was really filling up.

Grabbed dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings and it felt great to be back in Orlando then did a bit of shopping down at Premium Vineland ave then an early night. One thing we did notice however, Ponderossa had gone and was being replaced by a Rock dinner show at a place called Forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amazing empty plane!! Bet the service was good.

And 8hrs 20min flight and less than 15 minutes through Immigration. BONUS.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/California/Arizona/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Indian Ridge;08Sanibel/Indian Ridge;09Sarasota/Indian Ridge;10Sanibel/Indian Ridge;11Indian Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor; 16Loma Linda; 17Sanibel/Loma Vista; 18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like the truly ideal arrival!

And yes, the old Ponderosa is no more (the whole brand seems to be dying out). The Rock Forum dinner show should be good, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SS, I've read on another forum that the electronic kiosks at MCO have been removed. Can you confirm this?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/California/Arizona/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Indian Ridge;08Sanibel/Indian Ridge;09Sarasota/Indian Ridge;10Sanibel/Indian Ridge;11Indian Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor; 16Loma Linda; 17Sanibel/Loma Vista; 18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought they were still there but we moved so quickly through the hall i didn't pay much attention to anything around us. With the hall pretty much empty we virtually walked right up to a desk so i didn't really look around too much. I thought they were still there but maybe not, i couldn't say for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Day 2

Day 2 was the reason we were in Orlando as Alabama were playing their season opener at Camping World stadium but as that wasn't until 8pm were had pretty much a free day to get some shopping down as we wouldn't have much time to spare over the next 3 weeks. By 3pm we were pretty much shopped out and i was itching to get down to the stadium to take in the pre game atmosphere but first it was dinner and we headed to 4 Rivers. After dinner we headed to the stadium and i had already pre paid for parking as i wanted to be in a place where i hoped it was an easy get away after the game (if there was such a place) and headed in to the fan festival which had been arranged. It was OK and i got my photo taken with the National Championship trophy but we then headed out to the tail gating as that seemed so much more fun.

It had started out really hot and humid but by the look of the changing sky line we headed in to the stadium a little earlier than expected for fear of being caught outside in the impending thunderstorm that looked to be heading our way. The weather had been a bit hit and miss up to now and the forecast for the following day was heavy rain so we had decided to give our planned visit to Epcot a miss. In to the stadium and we checked out where our seats were but all of a sudden the heavens opened and everyone ran for cover and this resulted in a delay to the start of the game by around 15-20 minutes and now meant that the game wouldn't finish until well gone 11pm.

The game itself was excellent for me but a little of an anti climax as Alabama were just too good and put over 50 points on the board and the game itself didn't finish until close to midnight but where we had parked we got the good get away after the game we hoped for.

Camping World Stadium

We went in to the fan festival before the game and it was ok with various stalls and games etc and the Louisville marching band came in but to be honest, it was scorching hot, humid and there was no shade anywhere

The tailgate party was much more fun and i had to smile at this van that seemed to have been built with one reason in mind and must have had a reinforced roof

Inside the stadium waiting for the build up to the game

And then the heavens opened and a ton of rain was dumped down on top of us, it was like a river inside the stadium and they had to pospone the warm up for the players

Once the game finally got under way Bama were simply too good for Louisville but it was an excellent game, a fantastic experience at Camping World stadium (apart from the rain) and i would get to do it all over again the following weekend except in Tuscaloosa. The good thing about Camping World stadium is you can pretty much move around the stadium as you want and we ended up watching the game from 2 or 3 different positions from our chosen seat and ended up right behind the Millions Dollar Band which was pretty good.

Alabama's 4th Quarter song from just behind the Million Dollar Band

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And then this song came on the PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We were just up the street from you, at the Orlando City soccer game, and we kept saying, "I wonder how Superspur is doing." We were watching the weather, and while it missed our game, we knew it was going to impact yours, and that you'd be finishing very late. Glad it ended in a win for you, though!

It was so odd to see so many red shirts as we were walking from Broken Cauldron into the Lion's stadium. Seems like everyone walking the opposite direction was an Alabama supporter, and there were lots of them in the Broken Cauldron, too, which felt very odd, but added a festive touch, since Orlando City is doing so poorly and we're all fed up, even before the game starts.

Love that "Bamalence" at the tailgating. People DO get into the whole tailgating thing, but that's next-level stuff, right there!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, that was quite the downpour - good job we were at the Broken Cauldron!!

But great to see some of the excitement and atmosphere of the Bama game. There was a lot of good-natured banter between the Crimson Tide and Louisville fans we encountered, and it sounds like that continued at the stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Day 3

The following day we had originally planned to go to Epcot for the day but the weather forecast wasn't good at all so decided to head to Downtown Disney instead to have a look around and to pick up some bits. The large Disney store was basically one room as they were doing some conversion work on it but it was a nice walk through all the other shops and bars. There was live music on at Raglan road which was ok and i'll add a couple of videos at the end for that. The old Disney quest is being turned in to some NBA experience but that is another year off before that is ready. We got back to IDrive just in time for the rain to come down again and it was more than the normal shower Orlando seemed to get. We were actually at the time walking down to the old Wet & Wild site to take some photos and luckily it started just as we reached near the gift shops so were able to take cover for 20minutes or so, it really did come down and our few days up to now seemed to have all be a little spoilt by the tremendous downpours at times.

We got back to the hotel before the next downpour and then got out a little later just to taske a few photos of the Wet & Wild site. When we were over last September it was just a flat site with no sign of any works going on so in less than a year the buildings seemed to have gone up very quick. We also nopticed that the George & the Dragon pub was not only closed but gone completely. I never did understand how it lasted so long as every time we went past there didn't seem to be anyone in there.

What i assume will be the parking garage at the new hotels.

The new buildings on the old Wet & Wild site.

Later on in the evening we headed down to Celebration for dinner and were fascinated by the gators in the pond in the centre of town, there seemed to be more in there than the last time we were over and a couple of times someone warned parents when there kids were right down by the waters edge.

Thread Information