Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Topic: Changes to Norwegian flight schedules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Changes to Norwegian flight schedules

Saw this on Travel Mole. Norwegian are stopping their Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale service from next March and replace it with a service to Miami. I imagine that a number of people on here and the other forum will not be too happy.

Full article here.

Norwegian to launch flights to Miami and San Francisco

Norwegian is to drop flights from London to Fort Lauderdale and Oakland from next March, replacing them with services to Miami and San Francisco instead.

The budget long-haul airline said the change was as a result of customer demand and cargo opportunities.

Fares will start from 174 one way.

Norwegian will operate daily flights from Gatwick to Miami, up from four-weekly services to Fort Lauderdale last summer, and five-weekly services to San Francisco, starting from March 31.

The airline today confirmed its new twice-weekly Tampa service will also continue.

In total, it will offer 13 long-haul routes next summer, including a new flight between London and Brazil. Its three daily flights between Gatwick and New York and its daily service to Buenos Aires will continue, as will flights to Austin, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, Orlando and Seattle.

However, the Los Angeles route will be reduced to a daily service and the Chicago route will be cut to four flights a week to free up aircraft capacity. The airline said the cuts were necessary 'in light of industry-wide mandatory inspections of a specific Rolls Royce engine type' on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems it's two steps forward and one step back with Norwegian. I know they were getting more competition on the LGW-Ft Lauderdale route from BA, but you would have thought it's still cheaper than Miami. It's good that the Tampa flights won't be affected, though, and, overall, there will still be more UK-FL flights in all, which can't be bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    Seems it's two steps forward and one step back with Norwegian. I know they were getting more competition on the LGW-Ft Lauderdale route from BA, but you would have thought it's still cheaper than Miami. It's good that the Tampa flights won't be affected, though, and, overall, there will still be more UK-FL flights in all, which can't be bad.
    Very true, but the extra hassle of Miami (as opposed to FLL) may put some people off?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, that could be the case. FLL is a much easier airport to navigate (and out of the immediate frenzy of Miami). As ever, I think people may be more motivated by price in this instance (I know we would be!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it is probably driven by the negativity around budget airlines going to 'alternate' airports, like 'London Southend Airport'. The bulk of people of both routes were probably going to Miami and San Fransisco anyway.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    The airline said the cuts were necessary 'in light of industry-wide mandatory inspections of a specific Rolls Royce engine type' on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

As nervous flyer i picked this bit up. Is there a problem with the Dreamliner engines? I know when they first arrived there was some problems with the Dreamliners but it sounds like they are saying they now have to do additional checks than the ones they would carry out as routine. Maybe just a nervous flyer reading something in something that isn't there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superspur View Post
    As nervous flyer i picked this bit up. Is there a problem with the Dreamliner engines? I know when they first arrived there was some problems with the Dreamliners but it sounds like they are saying they now have to do additional checks than the ones they would carry out as routine. Maybe just a nervous flyer reading something in something that isn't there
    As I understand it a number of Dreamliners are grounded as there are not enough 'upgraded' engines and a number of airlines have made alternative plans using different planes, eg Virgin

Thread Information