Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11

Topic: Budget hotel choice ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Budget hotel choice ?

I’m after opinions, if looking at a budget stay would you stay on International Drive (something like the Rosen Inns), Cabana Bay Beach resort at Universal or one of the All Stars at Disney ?
    We are only looking at a short stay so will probably spend equal days at Disney / Universal so that doesn’t really impact on the choice ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good question. Thinking back to my earliest Orlando days, I got great value out of the old Quality Inn Plaza (now the Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando) as an ideal base between Disney, Universal & SeaWorld, albeit that was before there were 4 Disney parks and 2 Orlando ones. To my mind, the difference in price between somewhere like that on I-Drive and the moderate Disney or Universal resorts would be better off in my wallet, especially these days. And I would enjoy the parks just as much. The one difference is that Universal now has a LOT more to offer and being on-site there has distinct advantages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oooh, extremely difficult choice. In my former life, I used to stay at the All Stars for most of my Disney vacations. Small, relatively basic, but with the Disney magic and all the perks and convenience. But I often got discounts on the room rate, so it was a no-brainer, really.

We really liked the suite at Cabana Bay when it first opened, with a mini kitchen and living area. That was a big plus. I think, for me, All Stars MIGHT just edge it out slightly, only because of the convenience and the perks. Cabana Bay doesn't give FOTQ, obviously, so the perks of staying there are somewhat less than you'd get at Disney. Still, I would never say it's the WRONG choice.

As for I-Drive, I can only speak from limited experience. Again, and depending on what you plan to do park-wise, I don't think it would be the WRONG choice. All things being equal, I'd probably put Disney first, but only if it's the same or nearly the same price as the other two choices.

If the price is pretty much the same, my line up would be Disney, then Universal, then I-Drive.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about a split stay between All Stars and Cabana Bay? You'd get the perks of both resorts that way.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry Elaine but not much use to you as we always choose a villa, especially as we don't do the parks much anymore.

I think if I was in your position I'd perhaps create a spreadsheet showing price and benefits and see if one option or the other shakes out. If nothing else it may help you focus on what you want more.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We do like the Rosen inn international, but if we can afford All Stars, we would definitely go there as love staying in Disney 😄

BEST WESTERN MOVIE LAND 1996
    ALL STAR MOVIES 2004
    QUALITY INN INTERNATIONAL 2006 ALL STAR MOVIES 2007
    POP CENTURY RESORT 2009 FOUR POINTS SHERATON/RPR UNIVERSAL 2011 quality inn/old key west/ RPR Universal 2014
    Caribbean beach/RPR 2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We always stay at the Rosen closest to Universal on International Drive that you would probably class as budget but it's a good hotel. The trouble is, the price isn't so much budget anymore as i am seeing prices rising high right across America, probably because of the dollar rate.

One of the hotels in San Franciso we have used a couple of times and have picked up for around 400-500 for 3 nights before is currently at over 500 a night. It's an average hotel but the price is ridiculous. I actually booked it for our daughters honeymoon next June for 2 nights and got it for 495 thinking closer to the time i could re book it and pay up front but so far it hasn't shifted anywhere near below 1000 for the 2 nights, it's crazy.

I'm getting ready to start booking our trip for 2020 and i will need 3 rooms for 16 days at the Rosen and although the rooms aren't up yet, the same dates this year would set us back 4400.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4400? Or 1925 a week?? Even for 3 rooms, that seems pretty excessive. I would have thought it wouldn't be any more than $210/night (for 3 rooms), which should be around $3360 for 16 nights, tops. Even with the current exchange rate, that's only 2640. And hopefully the exchange rate will improve in the next 12 months (or whenever they finally get Brexit sorted out).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As i said Simon, i am finding prices through the roof right across America and even places we have stayed in the past year have gone through the roof. Our hotel we are staying in in Nashville this September is currently around 300 a night where we got it, close to the same time of year last year, for $190 a night. A hotel we're staying in in Boston was around $800 for 3 nights last year, it's now 1100.

I know it would be a whole new thread and probably not one for this forum but i am seriously worried what is going to happen to this country come the Brexit date. I can't see anyway we can get an orderly Brexit and the alternatives are just so serious for this country. We'll know in roughly 3 months but i think there could be more than choppy waters ahead for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I think you're right that Brexit has got the markets in a tizzy and they don't know what to think right now (hence they err on the side of higher prices!). Hopefully it will settle down once it is all decided and we can get to normal business again.

Thread Information