Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Norwegian claims industry first with free wi-fi on long-haul flights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Norwegian claims industry first with free wi-fi on long-haul flights

This was being reported this morning on Travel Mole. Do folk see it as a Good thing or Bad???

Norwegian is claiming to be the first low-cost airline to introduce free wi-fi on intercontinental flights, including services to the US, South America and Asia.

It will also offer a faster, paid-for connection for passengers who want to stream movies.

The airline said more than 50% of its Dreamliner 787 fleet will offer free wi-fi by 2020.

Norwegian became the first airline to offer free wi-fi on all European routes in 2011, and the first to offer live TV in 2015.

Its wi-fi service is now being extended to flights between Europe and the US, South America and Asia on its 787-9 Dreamliners and 737 MAX aircraft.

The first 787 offering wi-fi was delivered in mid-December and the roll-out on Norwegian's 737 MAX aircraft will begin in mid-January.

Norwegian economy and Premium customers on the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner and 737 MAX will have the choice of two inflight wi-fi package: basic, offering free internet access with a speed fast enough to surf the web, use social media and send and receive emails and instant messages using their own devices, and premium, which is fast enough to stream music, movies and TV shows. The high-speed option costs from 12.95 for three hours.

Vice president business development Boris Bubresko: "We're continuously improving the inflight customer experience and we're delighted to be the first airline offering free Wi-Fi for the full duration of long-haul flights.

"Millions of Norwegian customers have already enjoyed free Wi-Fi over the skies of Europe and now long-haul passengers can continue to rely on free and high-speed internet connectivity that will enhance and personalise their journeys.

"From being the first European airline to launch free wi-fi on all short-haul flights followed by free live television, Norwegian's roll-out of high-quality inflight broadband services will offer business and leisure travellers even greater value at affordable fares."

Norwegian is using the wireless inflight connectivity platform, CabinConnect by Collins Aerospace, which uses the Inmarsat Global Aviation (GX) satellite network.

LeAnn Ridgeway, vice president of information management services at Collins Aerospace said: "We are collaborating with Norwegian to achieve their vision of optimising their aircraft and enterprise operations to address both cabin and flight deck requirements, as well as adding new capabilities for the future."

Inflight Wi-Fi works via an antenna fitted to each aircraft fuselage which communicates with Inmarsat's GX satellite network.

In the UK, Norwegian currently operates 15 nonstop long-haul routes from London Gatwick to Austin, Boston, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami (from March 31), New York, Orlando, Rio de Janeiro (from March 31), San Francisco (from April 1) Seattle, Singapore and Tampa.

In 2019, Norwegian will take delivery of five brand new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners and 19 737 MAX aircraft. Norwegian currently operates 24 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners as part of its overall Dreamliner fleet of 32 aircraft.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting. Not something I would use, but I can imagine it will be popular. What does this eventually meant for the free in-flight movies?

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This i am not so sure about at all.

Would you be able to make a wifi phone call like you can with 3 mobiles network? The thought of being sat next to someone who is jabbering on their phone for the whole 9 hours to Orlando sounds like hell on earth. Many people have asked why doesn't the London Underground have a wifi signal in the tunnels and thank god they don't. You can currently use the Virgin Media free wifi on deep level platforms to make a wifi phone call from the platform and again the thought of listening to someone on the tube jabbering on the phone for an hour is a pretty horrendous thought.

If you will be able to make wifi phone calls from the plane i think i would be inclinded to use ANY airline except Norweigen just to avoid the risk of being sat next to someone talking on their phone for 9 hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's a really compelling thought, SS. But I suspect you will be in the minority (sadly) as the need to be online for Facebook, Twitter, etc for 24/7 now seems to be the way the mass market is going. I'd imagine this would be a big deal for Norwegian (hence all their publicity about it), but I'm afraid it wouldn't be a draw for me. Price (and reliable service) are still my most important features for a long-haul flight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wouldn't bother me one way or the other but I suppose if it is there and free I might use it...... sometimes.
    Interesting article because there has been rumours that Norwegian were loosing money and were in danger of going under.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TBH I'm with SS on this. I can see the potential benefit on a business orientated flight, being able to pick up work emails, perhaps last minute changes to presentation content etc, but on a leisure flight? But I guess I'm a dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness
    But I suspect you will be in the minority (sadly) as the need to be online for Facebook, Twitter, etc for 24/7 now seems to be the way the mass market is going
    So they can post all their holiday reminisces and photos, just before putting in their ruined holiday claims, which the courts can then throw out and fine them s?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd see this as a good thing to be honest and if the 12.95 was for the whole flight I'd be tempted by that as well to use Netflix.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought Norwegian did not offer and In Flight entrainment? So this would allow you to bring/stream your own? I wonder where in the Atlantic Netflix etc stops being UK and becomes US
    Last edited by Ret400; 09-01-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are free seatback TVs on all of Norwegian's long haul flights. They don't have the biggest selection of films and shows, but there are probably nearly 100 of them in total.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret400 View Post
    I thought Norwegian did not offer and In Flight entrainment? So this would allow you to bring/stream your own? I wonder where in the Atlantic Netflix etc stops being UK and becomes US
    They do have free in-flight entertainment on long-haul (https://www.norwegian.com/us/travel-...entertainment/), which is why I asked the question about what will happen to in-flight movies. Is this a move that will lead to the end of free movies as people start to pay for access on their devices? What would that mean, industry-wide, in future?

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Thread Information