Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Topic: 2019 Trip Day 16 A Marvel End

karalma is offline Proud Recipient of Six--count 'em, six!!--Fast Passes During Year of a Million Dreams!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 2019 Trip Day 16 A Marvel End

Darren, Alix and I were woken at 1.10 by a strange noise and we found out the next morning it was Matt taking his clothes off the hangers to pack and the rattling was coming through the vents. I got back to sleep at 2 and the alarm went off at 6.00. Darren was already up so we got tidied up and our last packing done so we were ready to hit the pool at 8.00. Alix refused to join us but we enjoyed a game of volley ball, basketball and kerbsy, although itís not as much fun when the cheers have to be silent because of the time of morning. We reluctantly got out at 9.00 to do the usual swapping of items in cases to find an acceptable weight, although we knew a couple were over the 23kg allowed. We had to put ponchos on the seats of the car as they were still soaked where we had dripped on them last night.

For the first time we were slightly late leaving but finally were ready to roll at 10.30. First stop was Disney Springs to offload the cases and thankfully there was nobody there so this was quick and painless. 2 of the cases were 24kg but they said they were fine. Then we headed to HS and our final 3 FPs. First up was TS and once again Matt won.

Next was supposed to be ToT but we were all disappointed to find this had once again been cancelled and we had been given a FP for other rides with restrictions. We asked how long the wait was at ToT but decided 45 minutes was too long, much to Alix's disappointment.

So Alix & Matt rode RnRC. They could have rode this again but the problems with ToT meant the FP for RnRC was longer than normal so Alix bought her final box of Mickey crispy treats and we took our final tram trip alone - there was not one other person on board.

We headed back to Disney Springs, which was heaving. We had hoped to eat at Raglan Road but this was just a sea of green with the St Patrickís celebrations and we couldnít get near. A bar had even been set up on the walkway. Instead we went to Cookes of Dublin and had the most disappointing meal of the holiday.

Our final stop was the cinema to watch Captain Marvel, which we all enjoyed, although I could have quite easily fallen asleep. Once again Alix was disappointed when we made her leave before the final credits but we did have a plane to catch. It was the first time we were leaving at the later time of 8.15. At the airport we weíre a little worried the car company might mention the wet seats but thankfully they didnít - maybe they are used to it. We had a quick look in the shops, without buying anything and then got in line. We had to wait a while as they were setting up a roped off area for the dog to walk around as the passengers walked through. Once this was done security was fairly quick and painless. Once airside we just had enough time for duty free shopping and we were the last to board.

There was quite a bit of turbulence on the flight back but the time quickly disappeared as I watched Instant Family, read The Salt Path and finished my notes for my trip report. It was so cold on the plane, despite wearing a thick jacket and jeans. The meal wasn't great as I didnít enjoy the tomato and basil gnocchi and the fruit platters for Darren and Alix were disappointing this time. Breakfast was a cheese pastry and a very dry Aussie bar which was edible when eaten with the yoghurt.

We touched down at 7.30, 20 minutes ahead of schedule but were then held up for 20 minutes and parked on the tarmac so we had to be bussed back to the airport. We were so pleased we were one of the first off as we would have a long wait for the bus. Our suitcases arrived quickly, we grabbed sausage rolls from Greggs, dropped Matt off at his flat in Manchester and arrived home around 11.30.

Highs
    GKTW - amazing and inspirational
    Golf - great fun at 3 new places
    Water rides - just wet enough to enjoy
    Weather - a couple of cool days and one horrendous storm but the rest of the holiday was beautifully sunny with a cool breeze
    Parks - enjoyed strolling rather than rushing from one ride to the next
    Royal Pacific - what a beautiful hotel
    4 FPs for FoP - still our favourite ride
    Jimmy Fallon ride - my favourite new ride
    A Kiss Goodnight - not spectacular but wanted to see it for ages

Lows
    Traffic - soooo annoying when it takes twice as long to get anywhere
    Sinus difficulties - Iím still suffering now, 3 weeks after returning.

What next?
    Every year we return we end up with a dilemma about next year. This yearís dilemma is when to go next year. It is Matts last year at Uni and he doesnít want to go before he finishes but we donít know what he will be doing once he finishes so we canít book for later in the year either. The one thing I do know is that when we do return I will be returning to GKTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Long, but busy last day. I have to say that 1.00am is a bit early for packing!!

The Check-in at Disney Springs is a great option with Virgin, the ability to drop the car and just walk into the airport is brilliant.

Breakfast was a cheese pastry
    what is it with Virgin and breakfast?? Why don't they just go for something simple?

Finding a gate at Manchester has been a problem for a while, we got bussed last year, but that should be over now as the new extension with the additional piers has just opened.

Hope you can get something sorted for next year.

And finally, many thanks for posting I have enjoyed reading along, especially about GKTW.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

karalma is offline Proud Recipient of Six--count 'em, six!!--Fast Passes During Year of a Million Dreams!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    Long, but busy last day. I have to say that 1.00am is a bit early for packing!!

A lot too early ��.

The Check-in at Disney Springs is a great option with Virgin, the ability to drop the car and just walk into the airport is brilliant.

Yes, we wouldn’t know what to do without this option.

what is it with Virgin and breakfast?? Why don't they just go for something simple?

I think this is their simple version ��.

Finding a gate at Manchester has been a problem for a while, we got bussed last year, but that should be over now as the new extension with the additional piers has just opened.

Hope you can get something sorted for next year.

And finally, many thanks for posting I have enjoyed reading along, especially about GKTW.
    Thank you for reading along ��.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a great, busy last day ...

Thanks for taking us along, I’ve enjoyed your trip (hope you can sort a suitable time for next year )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've love reading your report and a big hats off for your time at GKTW. It sounds an amazing place.
    Still puzzled as to why Matt was packing at 1am? I hope he does well in his final year, he sounds very dedicated. I'm sure you will find a suitable time to return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks so much for posting, I've really enjoyed your reports.

Well done on getting the 4 fast passes for FOP, we couldn't even get one last time.

Food flying out of the US always seems rubbish, I've no idea why as normally their food is so much better than ours.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
    I've love reading your report and a big hats off for your time at GKTW. It sounds an amazing place.
    Still puzzled as to why Matt was packing at 1am? I hope he does well in his final year, he sounds very dedicated. I'm sure you will find a suitable time to return.
    I’m still puzzled too CL. He is very dedicated in both his studies and his voluntary work with the homeless. Think the current considerations are wait until the end of the year and see if Matt is available to come or go in March without Matt and then visit him in China if he goes later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by spencem View Post
    Thanks so much for posting, I've really enjoyed your reports.

Well done on getting the 4 fast passes for FOP, we couldn't even get one last time.

Food flying out of the US always seems rubbish, I've no idea why as normally their food is so much better than ours.
    What a shame. Alix was on as soon as it opened and we were able to get them at 60 days but still could only get 4 so shows how difficult it is. Very strange about the food isn’t it ��.
    Last edited by karalma; 13-04-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Such an enjoyable read! Thank you for posting, and I agree with the others: loved hearing about your time at GKTW.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you ďIím not messing around, use the gifts you were given.Ē

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That was certainly a very busy final day! But sorry to hear your Cooke's meal was a let-down. Very odd for them as they're usually pretty consistent.

Great to read such a varied and well-paced series of trip reports, too, especially all the GKTW insights. Just superb to see and hear all about it.

PS: I've heard of volleyball and basketball, but kerbsy??? No idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    That was certainly a very busy final day! But sorry to hear your Cooke's meal was a let-down. Very odd for them as they're usually pretty consistent.

Yeah we’ve always had good meals before. Maybe they were just too busy.

Great to read such a varied and well-paced series of trip reports, too, especially all the GKTW insights. Just superb to see and hear all about it.

PS: I've heard of volleyball and basketball, but kerbsy??? No idea!
    Thought you might have known that one Simon. It is a game usually played in the street where you bounce the ball off the kerb and try to catch it but we also play in the pool bouncing off the edge. Maybe it’s a north England thing ��*♀️ ��.

Thread Information