Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Topic: Get the train to Disney!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Get the train to Disney!

Travel Mole are reporting on a new rail link from Orlando airport to Disney, see below.

Virgin Trains USA plans Orlando Airport-Disney World rail link

Virgin Trains USA is hoping to connect its planned Orlando Airport rail station with Walt Disney World.

The move would mean the Disney theme park would link all the way to Miami by train.

The company received approval to fund the 170-mile second phase from West Palm Beach to Orlando.

The initial Miami to West Palm Beach section is already operating.

From there Virgin hopes to extend it 20 miles from the airport to Disney.

This would include a stop at SunRail's Meadow Woods station, which would link the commuter-rail system to the airport.

Virgin signed a letter of intent with Disney last year but still hasn't secured the necessary land to build a station there.

It says Disney fully supports the idea of a rail extension direct to the parks.

Last week the Florida Development Finance Corp approved a bond issue of up to $950 million to fund the second phase.

The West Palm Beach-Orlando rail line could be up and running by 2022.

Virgin spokesman Ben Porritt said: "Virgin Trains will be a transformative project that will help Florida stay economically competitive while bringing thousands of jobs and tremendous economic impact.

"We have seen incredible support for this project."
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/California/Arizona/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Indian Ridge;08Sanibel/Indian Ridge;09Sarasota/Indian Ridge;10Sanibel/Indian Ridge;11Indian Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor; 16Loma Linda; 17Sanibel/Loma Vista; 18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder where they would put the station? Somewhere near Disney Springs would make sense, you could then transfer to a bus to the resorts. You could see Disney going for this to remove the cost of all those DME buses.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spencem View Post
    I wonder where they would put the station? Somewhere near Disney Springs would make sense, you could then transfer to a bus to the resorts. You could see Disney going for this to remove the cost of all those DME buses.
    That would be the logical place. But it would be a tight squeeze where ever it is. The other thing is that between MCO and Disney there are a lot of major roads (to get over or under) and a lot of the area between the two places is either built up or preservation areas.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/California/Arizona/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Indian Ridge;08Sanibel/Indian Ridge;09Sarasota/Indian Ridge;10Sanibel/Indian Ridge;11Indian Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor; 16Loma Linda; 17Sanibel/Loma Vista; 18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven

karalma is offline Proud Recipient of Six--count 'em, six!!--Fast Passes During Year of a Million Dreams!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting but don’t think we would use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Simon has been following the whole railroad thing closely for the last few years, so he probably has more to say about it than I do, but....

...I'll believe it when I see it.

The move would mean the Disney theme park would link all the way to Miami by train.
    There are several things that have held up a line like this, including one town that refuses to allow a train to pass on their stretch of now-unused track, and a certain big company stating their stop can be the only stop in Orlando. I gave up paying attention a long time ago, so hopefully everything has now changed and it'll be a worthwhile addition. I can certainly see the link from the airport to Disney happening. But what about everywhere else in the tourist area?
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 14-04-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As Susan says, we will believe it when we see it. Disney has fought against ANY kind of rail links for decades, in a bid to keep people on site, and I'm highly sceptical that will happen now, even with Virgin's involvement. Virgin have taken over the Florida high-speed rail project from Brightline in typical gung-ho style, but I suspect they have yet to meet the local politics that have mitigated against this for so long. If Disney gets a rail link from the airport, Universal could insist on having one, too, and then Disney will probably change their minds.

As Susan points out, there are still major political obstacles to be overcome to build the line from Orlando airport to the coast, linking Orlando to the existing route down to West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale and Miami, so this is a very rose-coloured view of things at the moment. If it ever happens, it should be good news for local transport. But, as TF also points out, trying to build a route from the airport to Disney (or anywhere else in the tourist corridor) would be hugely difficult with the existing infrastructure (not to mention massively expensive), and it would be years before they could even begin, as they'd still have to get the permission of Orange County, the Florida Dept of Transport, and any number of land owners in between!

Thread Information