Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hotel Room Toiletries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Hotel Room Toiletries

Here's an interesting piece of news from Travel Mole. At the moment it is only California that has gone this way, but I suspect it won't be long before other States or indeed countries follow.

What are your thoughts?

US state plans ban on single-use toiletry bottles in guest bedrooms

California could become one of the first places where hotels are banned from providing single-use mini plastic toiletry bottles in guest bedrooms.

The US state's lawmakers have proposed a bill to ban single-use plastic bottles in all guest accommodation to reduce unnecessary plastic waste.

Instead, hotels would have to use re-fillable bulk dispensers.

If the law is passed, it would take effect in 2023 and would ban plastic bottles under 12 ounces.

"By not offering small bottles of personal care products, hotels, motels, and other lodging establishments can promote a more sustainable business," said assembly member Ash Kalra. It would also potentially reduce operating costs.

Supports of the bill say it would get rid of hundreds of millions of plastic bottles being sent to landfill.

Marriott International said last year it would get rid of small single-use toiletries and replace them with dispensers.

The hotel group estimates a typical 140-room hotel goes through more than 20,000 single-use plastic bottles every year.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What will we steal now then?
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cruise ships seem to be heading the same way .... providing the dispensers are kept clean and are inaccessible to guests I’m ok with it ... I tend to take my own because I prefer them anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1970 View Post
    I guess it will just have to be the beds...?

But, in all seriousness, it is a smart move, both economically and environmentally. I've often thought these silly little bottles are a terrible waste of resources, especially when you only stay for a night, as many travellers do, so it makes perfect sense to introduce something more sustainable. This could also be the start of a lot of other eco-friendly ideas, from low-energy light fittings to electric systems that shut down when you're not in the room (or that adjust the A/C setting).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I can see the reasoning behind this. As Elaine says providing the dispensers are clean I have no problem with it at all although we take our own too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm all for it, WITH the proviso that the dispensers cannot, under any circumstances, be opened by guests.

I'm on a mission to do away with single-use plastics in our home, even though I've been recycling for decades. If they could come up with some sort of biodegradable container for hotel use, I'd be okay with that, too.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1970 View Post
    I was reading an article recently about what gets taken from hotel rooms and I was gob-smacked. Apparently it seems anything that isn't tied down is fair game, so towels, bath gowns, sheets and pillows get nicked. What is it with some people??

If I use the toiletries then I do take the half empty bottle, but I would think they would just be thrown away otherwise.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

karalma is offline Proud Recipient of Six--count 'em, six!!--Fast Passes During Year of a Million Dreams!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Hilton had dispensers instead of bottles this year. I don’t mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most hotels I stay in now have the slot by the door for your room key that activates the room's power. Many have also gone over to dispensers for the toiletries that I never use, I always take my own.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spencem View Post
    Most hotels I stay in now have the slot by the door for your room key that activates the room's power. .

A Tesco clubcard takes care of that

Thread Information