Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Visit Florida under pressure again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Visit Florida under pressure again

Travel Mole carried this piece this morning.

Visit Florida granted (another) reprieve

Visit Florida has been granted more time to prove its worth with a reduced budget of $50 million, down from $76 million previously.

The cash will keep the tourism body afloat until January 2020.

Decision makers in the Sunshine State have long been critical of Visit Florida's spending and some have called for funding to be withdrawn, but it has been given another chance, thanks to support from new governor Ron DeSantis.

House Speaker Jose Oliva was a vocal critic of the agency but reluctantly yielded to a request from the governor's office to keep it alive till for the rest of the year.

It gives DeSantis time to 'make an assessment of his own of how unnecessary it is," Oliva begrudgingly said.

"It is something that the governor wants to see and be able to assess."

Visit Florida President and CEO Dana Young said the agency is relieved and r'eady to continue providing a great return on investment'.

"We have great, talented people who work for our organization, and we are very good at what we do, and I have no doubt in my mind that we will continue to produce great results," Young said.

Critics point to the agency's past spending mishaps, notably lavishing rapper Pitbull with a secretive $1 million contract to promote the state.

They say Florida - which welcomed 126 million visitors last year -~ doesn't need a tourism marketing budget as it sells itself.

On the other hand, supporters say a single state-wide tourism marketing body is essential to counter and respond to negative media attention over recent events such as Zika, Hurricane Michael and the red tide outbreak.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good spot, TF. I hadn't noticed this before today. And, yet again, I am left thinking that politicians truly have absolutely zero understanding of real-world issues. You have to be a complete moron to think that a state tourist board isn't a good idea. It's like having a High Street shop with blank windows. Who would ever know what you're selling, and go inside to look?? It is mindless stupidity of a rare order. But then that's the Republican party for you. You just can't underestimate how stupid they can be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They probably think that the tourist starts and stops in the WDW and Universal area and that no one is interested in all the other great locations etc Florida has to offer.

People we know are amazed when we say we don't do the parks, so we just rattle off some of the places we have visited .... and enjoyed.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SO true, TF. Florida needs to promote its alternative attractions to just the theme parks and beaches, and that's the real job of VF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess they don't put the right brown envelopes in the right pockets, or rather don't use the services of the companies owned by Republican politicians, their friends or families?
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Speaking of brown envelopes, that's what got them into this mess in the first place. They put a $1M brown envelope into a certain Pitbull's pocket, and it all went gollywumpus from there.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    Speaking of brown envelopes, that's what got them into this mess in the first place. They put a $1M brown envelope into a certain Pitbull's pocket, and it all went gollywumpus from there.
    That was clearly money well spent, not! I have no idea who or what Pitbull is (apart from seeing his/her/its name in reference to VF) and I have never heard an utterance from said Pitbull on the wonders of Florida. Perhaps I'm just not tuned into the right channel!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's very much the YouTube/Social media generation, TF. Not our thing at all, but you can see the appeal for the Millennial crowd. Pitbull pretty much comes straight out of the trendy South Beach, Miami, ethos, so very different from the rest of the state, but you can understand them wanting to appeal to that demographic. It's just not likely to appeal to the UK market at all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you are very right about the appeal to the UK market. Certainly if you read the Florida forums catering to Brits most questions relate obviously to Orlando, but there are many others that ask about the coasts, the Gulf coast in particular (Clearwater, St Pete's, Anna Marie, Sarasota, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Naples), plus places like St Augustine, Mount Dora and some of the State Parks, but there seems to be little appetite for Miami.

I'm surprised VF doesn't push the Panhandle and Keys more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would imagine if you asked the majority of British people what Florida has to offer as a holiday destination very few ( including a large number of those that have visited) would say anything other than theme parks which is such a shame because it has so much more
    orlando aug 2000 2005 2007 2009 2013 2015 2016 2017
    Honolulu 2017
    Maui march 2008 2016
    New York 2010 2016
    Kefalonia 2010 - 2017
    Crete 2011
    Thassos 2015
    New Orleans/ Memphis 2016
    Paris March 2012
    Tenerife March 2013
    Parga 2014 2016
    Tenerife 2013