Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14

Topic: Take a virtual tour of Disney's Riviera Resort

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Take a virtual tour of Disney's Riviera Resort

Other than the tomb-shaped pool which strikes me as a bizarre design concept—wowsers! I'm sure many will bemoan the lack of Disney theming but that suits me just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajHxGbIZAk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If an upscale cruise ship and Rosen Shingle Creek had a baby, it would look like this.

Interesting. It's a massive structure that completely dominates the skyline at Caribbean Beach, and it was interesting to see what it will all look like. Wish they'd shown us some rooms.

I like the overall look, but I agree about the coffin-shaped pool.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you “I’m not messing around, use the gifts you were given.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a very sleek look, but it's definitely not a small resort! Some of the interior looks seem a bit antiseptic, but that's probably just the rendering. I'm sure it will have more warmth in reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's very smart, but doesn't look very much like a Disney hotel to me!
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks lovely ... if not very “Disney” ... does the fact that it’s DVC mean it’s entirely DVC (I don’t really know how it works) ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like all DVC resorts, it will be available to the general public when not booked by DVC members. Definitely worth keeping an eye out for (albeit, it's likely to be very popular with the DVC crowd when it opens).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's very rare these days to have unused inventory at DVC resorts. Members are able to book their home resort 11 months in advance. At 7 months, they are able to book ANY resort, subject to availability. When we joined in 2006, this flexibility was one of the major selling points and, to begin with, it was relatively easy to achieve. As more resorts open it becomes increasingly difficult. The advent of Aulani in Hawaii and the REALLY expensive points cost of properties such as the bungalows at the Polynesian and the cabins at Copper Creek have created a flaw in the system. For the most part, members buying at WDW want to stay there, with maybe the occasional foray to one of the remote resorts (Aulani, Hilton Head and Vero Beach). The problem is that so do most of the members who have bought into the remotes. That wasn't an issue prior to Aulani as Hilton Head and Vero Beach have just 102 and 60 units respectively and the concept worked exactly as intended. Aulani has a massive 458!

For each resort, the total cost of the points needed to stay (across all unit types for a 12 month period) represents the total number of points sold (there's a little more to it as I'll go on to explain, but for the purposes of this illustration, that's the basic premise to keep in mind). As far as the bungalows and cabins are concerned, the extortionate points cost puts them out of reach of most members—only a small percentage own sufficient points to book a meaningful stay and so they often sit empty. That leaves a huge points allocation that members are trying to squeeze in elsewhere. The maths simply don't work. The most popular units are studios and 2 bed villas because they represent the best value, by far. On the whole, both studios and one bed villas sleep 5 and people are largely looking to maximise points rather than have the luxury of more space. Beach Club Villas has a total of just 205 units. As owners at Saratoga Springs, we've been able to stay there several times over the years by booking at the 7 month window. These days, even if you know how to play the system, it's tricky, no matter what the time of year. Even at Saratoga Springs and Old Key West—historically the easiest resorts to snag and considered by most as fallback options—last minute bookings are a thing of the past.

Florida Law surrounding timeshares requires that a proportion of rooms are held as cash inventory so there will always be an opportunity for the paying public to stay—albeit at a cost! A resort takes years to sell out, so the best time to do that is in the early years when the resort has been completed but only a proportion is owned by DVC members. The units only come into the DVC pot as and when points are sold, so, until then, they're available as cash inventory rather than as bookable options to existing DVC members.
    Last edited by UK Deb; 17-05-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's a really concise look at the issue, Deb. Thank you for that.

When I was a Disney resort booking agent we could almost always get non-DVC members into Old Key West. It sounds like that may be a thing of the past, for the most part, too?

I did wonder what happened with DVC when the Poly bungalows opened. I just couldn't see that working very well.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you “I’m not messing around, use the gifts you were given.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    When I was a Disney resort booking agent we could almost always get non-DVC members into Old Key West. It sounds like that may be a thing of the past, for the most part, too?
    I'm not entirely sure but extrapolating my argument I guess that could well be true depending on what proportion of availabilty was down to cash inventory and what was underutilised DVC. The cash inventory will be the same as it always was but there will be fewer (if any) unused DVC units to add to the mix. OKW and SSR are historically the least popular DVC resorts from a member point of view and thus the last to sell out. Judging by comments being made by the DVC community, that's still largely true, but Disney Springs has unquestionably changed things a little. They do still appear to be those most heavily promoted to non-members. Of course, the most significant factor remains their sheer size—they're by far and away the biggest of the DVC resorts.
    Last edited by UK Deb; 17-05-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Thread Information