Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Topic: Saying Farewell To The Liberty Inn at Epcot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Saying Farewell To The Liberty Inn at Epcot

The long-serving Liberty Inn counter-service restaurant at Epcot's American Adventure pavilion will be closing on July 8, to make way for a new barbecue restaurant (which seems like a good trade-off).

Our friends at The Disney Blog were there today to say a proper farewell (I'm not sure if we'll make it, hence we're living vicariously through them!), and they provide a great look at this Epcot original:

https://thedisneyblog.com/2019/07/01...form=hootsuite

And here's the video:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If memory serves me correctly we have only ever been in there to get some drinks so I'm hardly in a position to make a comment, but isn't the Tavern positioned as a colonial style to match the American Adventure theme, so how does a BBQ fit with that?

Having said that it hardly looks busy in the video.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BBQ probably isn't overly "colonial" but it definitely has a long, beloved history in the good ole USofA, pre and post Civil War. But while the term 'barbeque' refers to the way the meat is cooked (slowly, over a flame; a hugely popular social thing to do in the Southern states, pre-Civil War), BBQ is more the dish itself, and there are as many types of BBQ as there are sub-cultures in the States.

Your comment did inspire me to look it up just now....and I found this interesting article from the Smithsonian, which, of course, proves me wrong!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...ecue-13770775/

The original styles of barbecue are thought to be those that originated in the easternmost colonies, like the vinegar-based “whole hog” barbecue found in Virginia and North Carolina. The technique of adding sauce to the meat as it cooks came from British colonists who incorporated the idea of basting to preserve the juices within the meat with the Caribbean barbecue technique.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think this might be a good improvement. Have stopped in here a few times in recent years and it is underwhelming, which is a shame as this is the key point for food in USA area. Other areas at least try to give some interesting assortments and US seems to have been forgotten about so a new take could be great. This was poorly themed and felt like it needed to be opened out with some real theming not just a chair and a cupboard stuck to right wall with a few flags above.

Will look forward to seeing what the menu will be.

Anyone know what they are working on to the right (facing) of the Pavillion?
    Last edited by Ret400; 05-07-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really hope the replacement turns out to be a worthy representation of US cuisine because the offerings of The Liberty Inn were dire. That said, I haven't stepped inside it in two decades, so it could have upped its game in the interim! I was a bit perturbed to read that the gift shop is going to be the new location for Art of Disney. Seems like an odd fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To say the least, Deb. Hopefully, it is only a temporary placement while they are working on all the grand new look for Future World and the entrance plaza, which is going to affect pretty much everything up front (except Spaceship Earth!), including there Art of Disney currently is.

Thread Information