Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Topic: More Changes for Grand Floridian?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default More Changes for Grand Floridian?

WDW News Today is reporting that the Grand Floridian is in line for even more updates and enhancements to make it more 'luxurious' within the Disney portfolio. Apparently, Disney Parks & Resorts chairman Bob Chapek feels it pales by comparison with The Four Seasons and, on top of major already-announced enhancements to the lobby area - which include changing Mizner's Lounge to a Beauty & The Beast bar/lounge - the current Citricos restaurant is now in line for a complete rebuild as Victoria & Albert's Lounge, which could actually be a neat idea.

Here's the story: https://wdwnt.com/2019/07/citricos-s...ridian-resort/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've long since thought that Citricos needed a refresh, but I don't understand the thinking behind re-imagining it as a V&A's add-on. Create something unique.

Disney themed hotels are not my thing, but the point is THEY ARE UNIQUE AND THEY ARE HUGELY POPULAR AND THEY ARE—AHEM—DISNEY! For those, like me, who prefer the likes of the Four Seasons, the Waldorf-Astoria, the Hilton, the Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott, we have...erm, let me see...the Four Seasons, the Waldorf-Astoria, the Hilton, the Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott! I'm not familiar with Bob Chapek, but reading this article, all of a sudden the decisions surrounding resort refurbishments make a lot of sense.

Looking forward to the Mizner's revamp, though, and I'm sure I'll approve of the other changes once they're actually implemented.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think they are looking to make some capital out of V&A's profile outside WDW (which is quite significant, as it still garners all kinds of restaurant awards). To me, it makes sense and, provided they can up the ante in terms of visual quality (which they seem to be doing with Gran Destino and the recent upgrades at Wilderness Lodge and Caribbean Beach), I am optimistic this will be 'a good thing' in the long run. A Disneyfied version of Four Seasons, Waldorf-Astoria, et al, could be a really smart idea as it hints at the fact Disney knows they are not up to the mark at this end of the market any more.

Hopefully it will be completed for an official Matt & Deb test-drive the next time you're over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I must say, wandering through Gran Destino one of my first thoughts was, "What happens to Grand Floridian now?" It's the flagship hotel, but I do wonder if it pales a tiny bit in comparison now. They're very different resorts, and for different tastes, but the flagship, IMO, should be every bell and whistle, and well above the visual standard of other onsite hotels. One could argue Wilderness Lodge and AKL may already have it beat, but with Gran Destino, I do think there's no denying GF needs bringing up.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Thread Information