Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Topic: Your Top 10 'Popcorn Movies' Of All Time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superspur View Post
    OK to play along i'll give you my top 10. These would be my Desert Island disc films that i would take with me. I love all the Star Wars films, Raiders of the Lost Ark films and the Harry Potter films (we actually did the Warner Brothers studio tour last week and it was amazing) but my top 10 cringe films are as follows:

1) Notting Hill
    2) Pretty Woman
    3) Erin Brockovich
    4) The Sound of Music
    I'm seeing a rom-com tissue fest theme here to start with...! (OK, not with Brockovich, but definitely a theme)

5) Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs
    6) Mary Poppins
    Aha! The first real tribute to classic Disney animation. Great choices

7) Lord of the Rings
    Yes, I can see that with any of these, albeit, once I start watching I HAVE to watch all the way through, and don't often have that much time (we also have the Director's Cut DVDs, which are YAY long!!)

8) Moana
    Interesting call for a modern Disney classic

9) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
    10) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    Yup, it seems everyone's on board with just about anything from the Potter-verse But no Star Wars/Raiders/Pirates? That could be a touch controversial
    Last edited by Simon Veness; 22-07-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    But no Star Wars/Raiders/Pirates?
    Ummmm...yeah, Star Wars. But just the first one. Remember?

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ladies and Gentlemen, the definitive list. Bits cut and pasted as I am lazy. Going off the films I can just throw on with a big tub of popcorn (sweet of course, none of that salty shite)

1) Star Wars IV-VI - Made me the man I am today. Jedi was a bit soppy, but the fun of New Hope and the Drama of Empire just forms into legend
    2) Shaun of the Dead - works as a ballsy Zombie movie and an incredibly funny comedy.
    3) Ghostbusters - i still quote this more than any other movie. WE CAME, WE SAW, WE KICKED ITS A**!
    4) Back To The Future - just so cool. I wanted to be Marty McFly (apart from the saucy bits with mother). Loved 2 as well, but hated 3.
    5) Cannonball Run - watched this so many times in the mid 80s that I wore the tape out. Have the remastered version that they show on ITV 3 permanently on my skybox. Stunts a plenty and Burt Reynolds at his best. Introduced the western world to Jackie Chan that leads us to....
    6) Police Story - Sit back, ignore the plot and just wonder in the glory of Jackie Chan and his crazy stunt team.
    7) Dumb and Dumber - just kills me. Makes me laugh till I ache
    8) Captain America: Winter Soldier - the perfect superhero film. Everything I wanted and more.
    9)Rita Sue and Bob Too - never plan on watching this, but I flick over, its on and Im gripped. Perfect reflection on the rougher side of Northern England in the mid-80s and funny as hell.
    10) Jurrasic Park 3. Controversial I know, but in my opinion its the best of all the Jurrasic Park films. Gets straight into the action unlike the science lectures of the others.

Well, there we go. Could have added another 20 at least!
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sweet of course, none of that salty shite
    There is no point in sweet popcorn. If you're going to eat something sweet, have a pastry. Or ice cream. Or any one of a million sweet treats. But popcorn without butter and salt is an affront to popcorn farmers everywhere, and the good earth that created its tender, golden ears.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled popcorn movies list!
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 26-07-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry Seth, but Dumb and Dumber? My son son had it on video and loved it, but about the only film I wouldn't sit and watch with him. Just made me cringe.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1970 View Post
    4) Back To The Future - just so cool. I wanted to be Marty McFly (apart from the saucy bits with mother). Loved 2 as well, but hated 3.
    BTTF is my favourite film franchise, bar none, and the only one where I like all of them equally. The links between the 3 are sheer genius and really get the grey matter working. The Wachowskis could learn a lot from BTTF about how to make sequels. I could have written better follow-ups to The Matrix. So many missed opportunities!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ladies and Gentlemen, the definitive list. Bits cut and pasted as I am lazy. Going off the films I can just throw on with a big tub of popcorn (sweet of course, none of that salty shite)

1) Star Wars IV-VI - Made me the man I am today. Jedi was a bit soppy, but the fun of New Hope and the Drama of Empire just forms into legend
    At one with the masses!

2) Shaun of the Dead - works as a ballsy Zombie movie and an incredibly funny comedy.
    Interesting addition to the genre. Definitely an offbeat comedy, definitely watchable

3) Ghostbusters - i still quote this more than any other movie. WE CAME,
    WE SAW, WE KICKED ITS A**!
    Two more dyed-in-the-wool classics (or, as I saw somewhere recently from a member of the Illiterati, dyed-in-the-wall)

5) Cannonball Run - watched this so many times in the mid 80’s that I wore the tape out. Have the remastered version that they show on ITV 3 permanently on my skybox. Stunts a plenty and Burt Reynolds at his best. Introduced the western world to Jackie Chan that leads us to....
    6) Police Story - Sit back, ignore the plot and just wonder in the glory of Jackie Chan and his crazy stunt team.
    And two members of the action-comedy dream team!

7) Dumb and Dumber - just kills me. Makes me laugh till I ache
    I'm still on the fence about this one. Parts of it ARE really funny. Others just make me cringe. Sorry.

8) Captain America: Winter Soldier - the perfect superhero film. Everything I wanted and more.
    I'd more inclined to go with the first Iron Man, but this would certainly be up there.

9)Rita Sue and Bob Too - never plan on watching this, but I flick over, it’s on and I’m gripped. Perfect reflection on the rougher side of Northern England in the mid-80’s and funny as hell.
    Terrible admission - never seen it Am I alone??

10) Jurrasic Park 3. Controversial I know, but in my opinion it’s the best of all the Jurrasic Park films. Gets straight into the action unlike the science lectures of the others.
    Having read the book avidly cover to cover, I found the original film a disappointment. The next 2 largely passed me by. But then, that's me!!

But at least we know you DO like popcorn, of a kind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Love the popcorn, but not the abomination Susan described. Colonials.....

TF, I like your lads style! I think we would have got on very well.

Simon, Rita Sue and Bob Too would either have you in stitches, or completely repulse you. Real crowd splitter, a bit like me!

Debs, I wanted to like part 3, I really did but sadly I just missed me.
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

very hard to pick 10 so not going to but I would probably throw Fools Gold, Paul and Matilda into the mix of enjoyable movies that dont test the brain cells too much.

Thread Information