Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Topic: Your Top 10 'Popcorn Movies' Of All Time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Your Top 10 'Popcorn Movies' Of All Time

OK, after the recent success of the thread on Top Bands of all time, here's another idea that should get people posting - the Top 10 Popcorn Movies of all time. So, what is a Popcorn Movie? Basically, it is one of those immensely watchable, brain-out-of-gear, action films that you can watch repeatedly and at ANY stage, whether it's the 1st minuye or the 101st. It's a go-to movie when their's nothing else on TV, or a movie you are happy to watch when you're channel-surfing and just come across it by chance. It's thr 10 movies that YOU enjoy most from a pure entertainment point of view.

Here are mine to get things rolling:

1) Raiders of the Lost Ark - a simple, B-movie premise handled with A-movie panache and style. Can watch at any time
    2) Star Wars IV-VI - the Original Trio, well-worn, easy to follow and just great film-making.
    3) Back To The Future - brilliant hokum with great comedic heart.
    4) Armageddon - as cheesy as hell, but just great brain-out-of-gear action and drama
    5) Ghostbusters - timeless, classic fun that is watchable at any stage
    6) The Mummy - a brilliant premise, done with great style; just flat out fun
    7) Pirates of the Caribbean - wonderfully entertaining twist on classic pirate B-movies, just as watchable as hell.
    8) Beverley Hills Cop - great combination of comedy and action film that remains a minor classic
    9) Men In Black - what's not to love about this truly clever basic premise with an all-star cast
    10) Guardians of the Galaxy - is it the music, the action, the stars? Just great B-movie fodder given A-plus treatment.

PS: honourable mentions to The Fugitive, Speed, Blues Brothers, Independence Day, Twister and The Day After Tomorrow

OK, now it's YOUR turn...!
    Last edited by Simon Veness; 20-07-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oooh, off to have a think...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You lost me with "Action"

There are quite a few movies that when i start watching them i HAVE to watch them all the way through but embarressingly, not many are action popcorn movies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    So, what is a Popcorn Movie? Basically, it is one of those immensely watchable, brain-out-of-gear, action films that you can watch repeatedly and at ANY stage, whether it's the 1st minuye or the 101st. It's a go-to movie when their's nothing else on TV, or a movie you are happy to watch when you're channel-surfing and just come across it by chance.
    It NEVER fails to amaze me that Matt can pick up a movie (ANY movie) at any point and watch it even if he KNOWS he's not going to be able to see it through to the end.

Several of your choices also feature in my top ten (which I'm off to compile right now).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

P.S. They have to be action films?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, they don't have to be 'action' movies as such. Just whatever films you gravitate towards and can watch, let's say, with the "Matt Proviso" that you can pick them up at any stage, and not even worry if you don't see them to the end (because you already know them so well!).
    Last edited by Simon Veness; 20-07-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good thread, off to have a think.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We're both typing at the same time, so it'll be interesting to see how many crossovers we have!

It’s been said I love a movie and have a penchant for just watching from part way through. 10 could be tricky, but let’s say I can count series as one (and there may well be some repeats from Mr V’s list...
    Star Wars - love all of them, original trio probably the best, but I think all of them add to the story as a whole and are great stories;
    Star Trek - should really have put this first as I’m more a Trekkie than a Warsie (which I may have just invented);
    Matrix - some will say the second and third were rubbish, but not me, fab stuff;
    Beverly Hills Cop - just fabulous and hilarious;
    Back to the Future - good ole family fun, no swearing or killing, perfect Matinee stuff;
    Pirates of the Caribbean - again good old matinee stuff, perfect for a Sunday afternoon, which leads me on to...
    National Treasure - great score, great premise and I think some clever ideas;
    Fast and Furious - if you want stupid, crazy and preposterous stunts and escapism, this is the series for you!
    Top Gun/Days of Thunder - can I cheat as they’re fundamentally the same film, just swap your plane for a car and hey presto! Super easy watching and crazy finales;

The last one to single out could be the hardest! I know technically I’ve picked about 40 so far, but...
    Ferris Buellers Day Off - grew up with all of Jon Hughes’ “rite du passage” films but this is just the best of them and again, good family fun. Great premise and just great fun.

Like Simon, Mummy and Independence Day are faves too. What about the original Apes films, or some old fashioned WW2 films - Where Eagles Dare, Guns of Navarone and Great Escape leap immediately to mind.

And to close, it would be 100% remiss of me not to mention Xanadu. I love this film, I’m on my own I think but simply don’t care. It’s total make believe and a love story with ELO supplying the music, what’s not to love, in fact swap that out for any of the above one you don’t like...
    BS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1) Back To The Futureómy favourite film trilogy of all time. The tie-ins between the three are just so damn clever and thought-provoking, yet they unquestionably fulfil the criteria of the brief.
    2) Star Wars, IV, VI and I. I love the original trilogy, but Phantom Menace is possibly my favourite of the lot. A controversial choice given the almost universal hatred of Jar Jar Binks, but I feel vindicated by recent reports that he's George Lucas's favourite character of the entire series. Funnily enough we started watching it last night, but I fell asleep so I guess I know what we'll be doing this evening.
    3) Beverly Hills Cop. The third in the trilogy was most definitely not up to first two, but it unquestionably still meets the standards as set!
    4) The Matrix. The original only. Reloaded and Revolutions were travesties! Such a waste of potential. I could have written better scripts myself.
    5) Double Jeopardy. Definitely fits the "B Movie/Matinee" feel of this thread. I first watched it on a flight to Orlando and have lost count of the number of times I've seen it since. And who doesn't love a Tommy Lee Jones movie?
    6) The American President. Again, another I first saw on a flight to Orlando. Absolutely BRILLIANT feel-good, intelligent writing from Aaron Sorkin which accidentally paved the way for The West Wing which is WITHOUT QUESTION my favourite TV series of all time.
    7) Home Alone 1 and 2. Sheer slapstick genius. #wetbandits
    8) Men In Black. To coin a phrase, simple B-movie premise handled with A-movie panache and style. Will Smith can do no wrong in my eyes (I even liked Wild, Wild West). See (5) for Tommy Lee Jones!
    9) Doc Hollywood. I'm a sucker for any "Small Town America" movie but this has to be my favourite. Michael J Fox is possibly my favourite actor of all time and he's supported by an incredible cast.
    10) Wayne's World. Party Time! Excellent! Just side-splittingly funny, gags-a-minute pure joy!

Thread Information