Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Topic: Your Top 10 'Popcorn Movies' Of All Time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Matt's post is "awaiting approval of a moderator".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UK Deb View Post
    Matt's post is "awaiting approval of a moderator".
    No, I can see it OK (just above your Top 10). Can everyone else see it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post

Matrix - some will say the second and third were rubbish, but not me, fab stuff;
    Ooh, I think I missed one with this. I'm ambivalent about 2 and 3, but this one is definitely Top 10 material

Back to the Future - good ole family fun, no swearing or killing, perfect Matinee stuff;
    Matinee stuff - That's the phrase!! Good call

National Treasure - great score, great premise and I think some clever ideas;
    Yup, another 'Ding! Ding! Ding!' from me.

Fast and Furious - if you want stupid, crazy and preposterous stunts and escapism, this is the series for you!
    I'm not in the F&F camp, TBH. I can appreciate the action sequences, but then I fall asleep! To me, it's just great car stunts with bits of forgettable plot in between!

Top Gun/Days of Thunder - can I cheat as they’re fundamentally the same film, just swap your plane for a car and hey presto! Super easy watching and crazy finales;
    Yup, definitely in the right ball-park

Ferris Buellers Day Off - grew up with all of Jon Hughes’ “rite du passage” films but this is just the best of them and again, good family fun. Great premise and just great fun.
    To me, this is a bit more than just a popcorn movie, but I can definitely understand the sentiment

Like Simon, Mummy and Independence Day are faves too. What about the original Apes films, or some old fashioned WW2 films - Where Eagles Dare, Guns of Navarone and Great Escape leap immediately to mind.
    I think we'll have to come up with a new category of Popcorn War Movies, as it would need to include all of these, plus Kelly's Heroes, 633 Squadron, Memphis Belle, Too Late The Hero and The Dam Busters (1955 version)!

And to close, it would be 100% remiss of me not to mention Xanadu. I love this film, I’m on my own I think but simply don’t care. It’s total make believe and a love story with ELO supplying the music, what’s not to love, in fact swap that out for any of the above one you don’t like...
    BS
    Yup, you're on your own

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    No, I can see it OK (just above your Top 10). Can everyone else see it?
    Nope I can't see Matt's post.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1) Back To The Future—my favourite film trilogy of all time. The tie-ins between the three are just so damn clever and thought-provoking, yet they unquestionably fulfil the criteria of the brief.
    2) Star Wars, IV, VI and I. I love the original trilogy, but Phantom Menace is possibly my favourite of the lot. A controversial choice given the almost universal hatred of Jar Jar Binks, but I feel vindicated by recent reports that he's George Lucas's favourite character of the entire series. Funnily enough we started watching it last night, but I fell asleep so I guess I know what we'll be doing this evening.
    3) Beverly Hills Cop. The third in the trilogy was most definitely not up to first two, but it unquestionably still meets the standards as set!
    4) The Matrix. The original only. Reloaded and Revolutions were travesties! Such a waste of potential. I could have written better scripts myself.
    Not going to quibble with any of these - 100% straight down the movie pipe!

5) Double Jeopardy. Definitely fits the "B Movie/Matinee" feel of this thread. I first watched it on a flight to Orlando and have lost count of the number of times I've seen it since. And who doesn't love a Tommy Lee Jones movie?
    Funnily enough, we only just saw this for the first time on Amazon Prime just recently. Not quite a TLJ classic, to my mind, but you can see where The Figitive came from!

6) The American President. Again, another I first saw on a flight to Orlando. Absolutely BRILLIANT feel-good, intelligent writing from Aaron Sorkin which accidentally paved the way for The West Wing which is WITHOUT QUESTION my favourite TV series of all time.
    Might need to come up with a new category of Popcorn Rom-Com's for this!

7) Home Alone 1 and 2. Sheer slapstick genius. #wetbandits
    And now we're into Popcorn Xmas Movies!!

8) Men In Black. To coin a phrase, simple B-movie premise handled with A-movie panache and style. Will Smith can do no wrong in my eyes (I even liked Wild, Wild West). See (5) for Tommy Lee Jones!
    9) Doc Hollywood. I'm a sucker for any "Small Town America" movie but this has to be my favourite. Michael J Fox is possibly my favourite actor of all time and he's supported by an incredible cast.
    10) Wayne's World. Party Time! Excellent! Just side-splittingly funny, gags-a-minute pure joy!
    Yup, more Popcorn classics! Good call on Wayne's World - definitely one you can pick up at any stage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure why that went into Moderation, BoomerSooner. I can't find anything in it that should trigger that, but I've approved so it should show up for everyone now.

Can you all confirm you're seeing it now?

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you see it now Deb/TF??

I can see it, and sadly I can also see Simon’s comments - no likey Xanadu?? Unacceptable! ��

“I'm not in the F&F camp, TBH. I can appreciate the action sequences, but then I fall asleep! To me, it's just great car stunts with bits of forgettable plot”

But they’re like a cold beer, easy to pick and enjoy. And how they did a tribute to Paul Walker in 7 is, I think, surprisingly emotional stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    Funnily enough, we only just saw this for the first time on Amazon Prime just recently. Not quite a TLJ classic, to my mind, but you can see where The Figitive came from!
    Yes, I can see how this doesn't quite fit the matinee thing in the same way as the likes of Indiana Jones, National Treasure, The Mummy and PotC. It's doesn't have the same swashbuckling spirit of adventure, but it's a lighthearted take on the thriller genre which is one I normally steer well clear of!

Thread Information