Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: It's An Epic Universe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default It's An Epic Universe!

So, Universal Orlando had a major press conference yesterday and, while it was a bit short on detail, the big picture was, indeed, distinctly humongous.

There's a whole new theme park (plus more resorts, shops, restaurants and entertainment) coming to the new #EpicUniverse, and we packed it all in to our latest Orlando blog for ATD: https://lnkd.in/dytrT-y

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for posting Simon, it sounds like it will be mega and huge attraction. Its location could well spur a regeneration of I-Drive as the off site hotels will be in a prime location if guests can't afford to stay onsite? My only negative thought is what will the impact be on the traffic? Sand Lake Road is already a nightmare.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the traffic issue is the one potential snag. But that is (partly) why Universal and the county are spending more than $300million on an all-new Kirkman Road link and interchange on Sand Lake Road. The fact there should also be another entry point south on Universal Bouelavard (coming off the Beachline Expressway) should also help with traffic management. Universal are also going to have to come up with a two-way transport system from their existing hotels to the new park in due course, as well as from the new park's hotels to IoA/USF/CityWalk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Transportation between the two sites is going to be critical because, as Matt has insightfully pointed out, with the distance between the old and the new, Universal could well end up being its own biggest competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Universal assured us that's all in hand, and only a 12 minute ride between the two.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow this could really be fun. A 12 minute ride between parks, on a dragon or a mario kart or something?
    After all everyone told me they would not build a train between parks!
    If you look in the top right of the rendering, beside the Hotel, you can see what might fit the fantastic beasts? An old style New York streets? With a huge building for rides.
    Another thing is what is not shown! You have room in between parts for more ‘lands’ in the future etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you'll find it's a tram ride to the new park. At least, that's what Universal said it would be.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret400 View Post
    Another thing is what is not shown! You have room in between parts for more ‘lands’ in the future etc.
    On 750 acres, there are room for 2 more theme parks, lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    On 750 acres, there are room for 2 more theme parks, lol!
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, whilst I do believe this will be a game-changer for Universal and Orlando, Universal can only dream of recreating that total escape from reality that Disney has achieved in realising Walt's dream of building a self-contained borough not hemmed in by the type of development that sprung up around Disneyland. Walt Disney World is 25,000 acres!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Disney certainly has the advantage, space-wise.

Universal can only dream of recreating that total escape from reality that Disney has achieved in realising Walt's dream of building a self-contained borough not hemmed in by the type of development that sprung up around Disneyland.
    Do you think that's what Universal is going for, though? I've always had the impression they've positioned themselves as something entirely different, that isn't dependent upon creating anything "magical" (other than the obviously "magical" Wizarding World, but magical in a very different way). They've never had the luxury of space the way WDW does, and I've always thought they embraced that rather than trying to make it something it isn't.

You inspire a real question, Deb. Does Universal have the goal of taking people out of the "real world" in the same way Disney has that goal? It's an interesting debate. I'd love to hear other thoughts on the matter!
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 03-08-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Thread Information