Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: It's An Epic Universe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would think that Universal has the goal of being a mega fun place, building a series of experiences for a variety of guests to enjoy and providing a space to 'escape'. I'm not sure they see themselves as the 'total immersion' experience. Either way I think they can be sure of an increase in footfall.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    Do you think that's what Universal is going for, though?
    No—not because it might not aspire to, but because it's impossible given the limited amount of real estate it has to play with.

ETA: I just think there is a unique set of USPs in play at WDW that renders Universal's ambition of taking Disney's crown completely unattainable. Unless the fighting talk was no more than hyperbole.
    Last edited by UK Deb; 04-08-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting, and a perspective I honestly hadn't thought of. I wonder if I'm thinking of something different when I say I always thought Universal's goal was different to Disney's.

Here's what I'm thinking: Both Disney and Universal have the goal of making money. That's the primary goal.

Disney's secondary goal is to make that money by giving guests a "magical" experience that has a deep emotional pull. It goes for the heart, if you will. And they're masters at it. No-one does it better.

Disney's third goal is to offer that experience in a self-contained environment, which they control almost completely, and which allows guests to "leave reality behind," at least for the most part. It's the lesson they learned from DL.

Universal, to my way of thinking, has the same primary goal (making money) but I never thought they had the same secondary or tertiary goals. I may well be wrong. But I don't see their parks as going for the heartstrings, or looking for a big "emotional" connection in the way Disney is looking for the emotional connection. Instead, I see them as edgy and thrilling and in-your-face, and they do it (IMO) very, very well. That's what I mean when I say I think they're going for the adrenals rather than the heart.

If they ever had the goal of having a completely self-contained environment, I'm not sure why they bought land where they bought land when USF, and eventually IOA were on the drawing board. There was obviously no room for massive expansion. The land was already surrounded by housing, a school, businesses, etc. So, to me, that was a forlorn hope straight out of the gate, if it was a hope they ever had. I would say it's likely unattainable, and I have a hard time believing they don't know that. Is it possible? Nearly anything is possible with enough money. Is it likely? I don't think so. I think it's far more likely they'll add to the new land they bought, with the available land surrounding it. They indicated that's on the cards.

So maybe I have a different thought in my head during this chat. Is the above interpretation what you meant, Deb, or did you mean something else?

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We're at cross-purposes.

I don't believe Universal is trying to beat Disney at its own game. I think it's hoping to do so by doing its own thing. I'd say it's fighting a losing battle because Disney has advantages it can't compete with.
    Last edited by UK Deb; 05-08-2019 at 05:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UK Deb View Post
    I'd say it's fighting a losing battle because Disney has advantages it can't compete with.
    You could well be right. It's going to be fascinating to watch what happens!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the meantime, here's our story for the Telegraph (which very much highlights the head-to-head nature of what Universal were implying!): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...epic-universe/

Thread Information