Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Expected Pricing Revealed for the 2-Night, 3-Day Star Wars Hotel Experience?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Expected Pricing Revealed for the 2-Night, 3-Day Star Wars Hotel Experience?

I can't imagine Disney releasing pricing yet, but the article does make for an interesting discussion. The concept doesn't particularly appeal to me, but if the cost is fully-inclusive cruise style to include food and entertainment, it doesn't seem outrageously expensive.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/08/pricing-re...3CrTHR5Q8B3yus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With you on that Deb, It's not something I would particularly want to do, but I can see it being very popular.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry to say, I think that story is pure clickbait. There isn't a single 'fact' about what the pricing will actually be, and there's nothing new in the info they're putting out there. Our Disney contacts are adamant that nothing has yet been decided, price-wise, or even how a stay at the hotel will be structured. Yes, ideas are being batted around, but for this story to state an actual price and style is just arrant speculation. But then that's what we've come to expect of WDWNT recently. Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If those prices are correct i think they will price a lot of people out of it completely. There are bound to be thousands wanting a one night stay but if the minimum is 2 nights the cost will just push it beyond only the ardent Star Wars nut or people with money to burn. At $500 for one night, i might just be tempted to do one single night but $1000 a night and for 2 nights minimum? no thank you.

Which is why i would be surprised if those prices are correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We've seen a BIG shift in...shall we say...credibility in a few places that used to be entirely credible. Very sad to see.

That said, I'm interested in seeing what Disney REALLY does with this resort, including what price point they choose. Hoping to hear some little snippet at the upcoming media event for Galaxy's Edge, but I'm not sure if they'll even do that at this point. I am quite certain they won't announce pricing, but maybe...maybe...some other tidbit?

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I very deliberately added a question mark that wasn't included in the original title because WDWNT is a rumour site. In common with similar sites, it has its fans and detractors in equal measure. It fascinates me because it clearly has some very well-informed insider sources and yet Disney seems to embrace it as a bonafide media outlet. You can rely on a trumpeting of those rumours it got right and a playing down of those it didn't. It adopts exactly the same impossible-to-argue-with rationale that Jim Hill Media has for years—not all projects come to fruition and even those that do change many times along the way. The author of this particular story artfully points out that these are the prices being discussed now but that they can be expected to change by the time of opening.

We all like to speculate about possible developments and WDWNT articles make for good discussion topics. I follow a lot of Disney fansites on Facebook, most of which report the latest press releases. I always sit up and take notice when a post from WDWNT pops up in my News Feed.

ETA: I realise disclaimers can't be included in every article because that would get old very quickly but what does rankle with me is the way rumours are posted as though the author was in the planning meeting. I remember feeling exactly the same about Jim Hill Media in the days I used to follow that site. I do have a lot of respect for Jim Hill as a Disney historian (is he even in the rumours game these days?) but from my position in the cheap seats, I see other direct comparisons, too, particularly the seemingly reliable multiple insider sources, and a conflicting stance between adoration and negativity (not necessarily an unhealthy point of view nor uncommon in any fandom, I guess).
    Last edited by UK Deb; 22-08-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I took your original post to be just what you said: an interesting rumour, fun to speculate on, and just a good bit of chatter. We also follow several sites, not necessarily because we know they've got any special insight, but because we like to know what other outlets "take" from the info we're given directly and from their own speculation. No harm done (at least, not on this topic!).

I think Simon and I both reacted the way we did, not because of YOU posting it, but because of a trend we're seeing, which you point out above. There are 3 or 4 sites that used to provide factual information, sometimes with the inclusion of a rumour or an extrapolation and sometimes with, shall we say, "special insight" (which Jim Hill DOES have, and he's still around, though not as often as before). Now they're all about the click-bait titles and throw-away comments that get people whipped up, but which they then brush off when they're 'wrong' (knowing they WOULD be doing that, in the end).

Two sites in particular have really made our blood run cold in the past year, knowing what they WERE and what they have become. We used to have tremendous respect for the people behind them, and for their "special insights" and the info they put out. Now they're just click-bait. Putting out whatever drops out of your head onto your keyboard is a tried-and-true way to increase your viewership, but our OPINION is: just because you can, that doesn't mean you should. The number of times most of us have HAD an insight that we're asked not to share, so we sit on it, is large. Sometimes we all post at the same time because something new has just dropped in our Inbox, and sometimes we all post at the same time because the embargo has ended.

Like any business where you see the same people every time an event happens, you get to know people, for good or for less-good. There are those who are SHOCKED when a new blogger comes to an event and stands on brand new furniture (!!) so he or she can get a better view, or angry at long-timers who think nothing of LITERALLY elbowing you out of their way so they can get an up-front view, and then there are those who don't see why it matters, as long as you got the view. Everyone is entitled to form their own opinion about where the line is. And each of us does just that.

ETA: I'm not aiming this directly at wdwnt. I'm making a broader-reaching comment.
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 22-08-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, no worries, Deb. Sorry if I sounded a bit strident in my response to WDWNT. Your original post does make it very clear you're opening the idea up to debate, and it IS a very good debate.

We know Disney will be charging an absolute premium for the SW hotel, and it is going to price many people out of the market. That is their intention - fewer guests/more revenue. It is a handy equation from a business point of view. We will definitely be interested to see what the eventual price point will be, but, in all honesty, that time is still some way off. For WDWNT to suggest they have some special insight into what it will be just rankles with me, when we know it is all still being discussed (and probably will be for months to come!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not disagreeing with anything that has been written, but another angle is perhaps the 'official' feed through a known (friendly?) channel to see what the wider reaction is. So in this case float an idea on cost and length of stay (for what they must see as a premium product) and stand back, watch the reaction and analyse the results. It's a pretty cheap way of reaching a large (and interested) audience.

Many companies do this and so does the UK Government. If the idea flies and the response is positive, go for it. The opposite reaction and bin it or tweak it.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not so sure Disney would see WDWNT as a 'friendly' channel just now (!) after the hatchet job they did on the NBA experience (which you can see on this link). The point is well-made, though.

Thread Information