Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Topic: Secret Walt Disney Company Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not ready to give up on a big announcement (fifthgatefifthgatefifthgatefifthgatefifthgate) but with all the other changes going on-- the opening of Star Wars land, the huge restructuring of Epc...sorry, EPCOT, a new hotel just opened and three more on the way, Tron in the works, Mickey's Runaway Railway nearly open, Disney Springs only recently being close to finished, plus the Skyliner-- I'm not sure I really see much possibility for a fifth gate.

Most of the changes at Epcot (oh dear; this will take some getting used to) I mean, EPCOT, don't thrill me personally (A "journey with water" that doesn't go anywhere or do anything we haven't seen before? Hmmm......), and it's no secret I'm not a fan of character-based stories there, but I'll wait and see. I'm not sure anything OTHER THAN the announcement of a fifth gate will be enough for Disney fans in the face of Universal's announcement, but in all fairness, I'm not sure if there's even a shred of hope with all else that's going on. I THINK, if there's any way they'd do it, it could be the announcement with an opening date of, say, 2030.
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 24-08-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has Disney reverted to the capitalisation of Epcot? Either I've missed that news, or I'm just being slow in picking up on what you're getting at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, part of the "re-imagining" of Epcot is to revert to it all in caps, thus:

Based off the original:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good points Susan. I worry that Disney could once again, as they did with Disney MGM, react in panic/corporate pique to Universal. Then we end up with a rushed, under funded 5th gate. Let’s be honest the need to refurb Epcot, shows how they have struggled to looks after, update and managed the existing portfolio. Start Wars land, really looking forward to this but it’s concept was effectively ‘bought’ in. As I have said before, new things take risks, Entrepreneurship, money and sometimes it won’t work. However, those in charge of Disney are short term, corporate and worry about risking their bonus, career options and milking the property. Yes their is talent around but they squashed under the yoke of the CORPORATE. Still we will see if EPCOT gets a Brazilian today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret400 View Post
    Start Wars land, really looking forward to this but it’s concept was effectively ‘bought’ in.
    I'm not quite sure what you means by this. Can you expand?

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I meant that Star Wars as a concept, characters etc was really Lucas films and Disney bought in. Yes they have designed this beautifully but it’s not the same as the vision for lands of the imagineers etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think to be fair, by creating the all-new planet of Batuu, rather than a well-known planet from the existing Star Wars universe, the Imagineers HAVE created something new with their own vision. There is still a recognisable Star Wars 'look' to the area, but most of it has been created from scratch. If we give Universal credit for the brilliance of Diagon Alley, we would certainly give Disney equal credit for Batuu. It's probably hard to convey in words, or even in photos, but we think once you get inside SWGE, everyone will be seriously impressed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welllll....if we want to have that conversation, I think we only need look at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

With the exception of Carkitt Market (and then, only to a degree, since JK Rowling had a massive influence on what went into the lands), there is nothing in those areas that ISN'T directly based on descriptions of places that came from the books and the movies. I wouldn't call that a problem in any way; they're gorgeous areas that make me FEEL like I'm really IN the wizarding world. I'd call that a win.

While Galaxy's Edge is BASED ON the Star Wars story, it ISN'T a story we already know (though it will be soon, with all the books coming out). It's Star Wars, but with a few exceptions (Millennium Falcon) not Star Wars we've seen before.

(Oops...just read Simon's comment. GMTA! )

Just editing again to add, I do get where you're coming from. Animal Kingdom's lands, with the exception of Pandora, are from the minds and the travels of the Imagineers. That's why I love that park so much. So...yeah...to a degree, I agree with you.
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 25-08-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You guys are so good and balanced, don’t know how you put up with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nah...we're flaming volcanoes of pent up lava and we blow our tops about 50 times a day. But not because of anyone here.

We love the back-and-forth here. Everyone has their own insights and their own perspective, and it's a real pleasure to see what each person thinks. And neither one of us has ever shied away from a good debate!

Thread Information